1st Trip to Europe - 6 weeks - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #1

Default 1st Trip to Europe - 6 weeks

Hi,my girlfriend and I are making are first trip to europe and want to stay as long as possible by doing it pretty cheap!! Here is a look at our first draft itinerary tell me what you think!!

I think it is going to be really rushed but i want to see so many different places. What places would you be most likely to remove or add instead.
Here is the first draft:

London - 2 days (3 more days at the end)
Brussels/bruges - 2 days (which one would u recommend)
Paris - 4 days
Bordeaux/lyon?? - 2 days (also recommendations)
Madrid - 3 days
Barcelona - 3 days
Milan - 2 days
Rome - 3 days
Florence - 2 days
Venice - 2 days
Munich - 2 days
Vienna - 2 days
Prague - 2 days
Berlin - 3 days
Amsterdam -3 days
Rotterdam - 2 days
London -3 days

Is 70 euro more than enough for each day without transportation???
Thanks for all your help.
stunnnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Rabidly Xenophilic

Are you planning those as full days in each city? Meaning, don't underestimate travel time...it can really kill a whole day to leave a hotel, get to a new city, check in, get your bearings, etc etc etc.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Admin

I'm feeling stressed just looking at your itinerary for that timeline!

That's enough time per city to just knock out the attractions and tourist traps, but not enough time to get a good feel for any given city.

For me, I need to relax when I'm on vacation and being on the move every 2 to 3 days is not my idea of relaxing. But hey, whatyagonnado....

As a suggestion, keep 3-5 travel days completely open for anything/anywhere. Then, choose a city, maybe somewhere in the middle of your trip, and bunker down for 5-7 days and spend half the time doing nothing, but sleeping in and wandering aimlessly through the city and trying out some local restaurants/shows/events/etc...on the fly. Your feet will be grateful too...

I know that you want to see so many places, but you can always go back. Believe me, it get's so much easier the second time around.

Also seeing so many places isn't exactly experiencing them.

Welcome to TPunk!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Yeah, dont forget about the travel days.... Brugge over Brussels for SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone will tell you that. Dont waste your time in Rotterdam, thats my opinion... I would add more time in Prague for sure, and since you want to be cheap, drop days in London... EXPENSIVE!!!!! As for 70 euro a day, if that includes lodging for 2, and if the 70 is for 2 and not each, its gonna be tough. No beers for sure....
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #5

Well as I suspected from looking around the forums I am defintely going to have to cut some things out as it is really rushed.

I am going to rethink this itinerary today...what else better to do while at work! but if you could remove 3 or maybe even 4 cities which ones would they be???

London I know is going to be really expensive but being a die hard arsenal fan I want to be there for a couple of games which will be also very expensive but its a price I am willing to pay.

Oh, marc the 70 euros is each so hopefully there is enough room for beers or this might have to be rethinked.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Brugge over Brussels hands down.

I loved Rotterdam and have been twice. However Amersterdam is a must see.

Have fun and welcome to Tpunks
Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Shit, for 70 euro each, you could live like kings if you play your cards right!!!! Street food, grocery stores, and ALWAYS buy your beer in grocery stores too!!!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #8

I echo Marc873's view that you could drop Rotterdam. I had a day trip there and that was enough for me. Unless you want to see the big Pathe cinema, which is possibly the ugliest building in the history of civilisation.

Bordeaux/Lyon - never seen Lyon but I've been to Bordeaux and I enjoyed it there, if you're into wine then Bordeaux has lots of wine tasting things (although as I'm not I can't really comment). Also the scenery is pretty good on the Paris-Bordeaux train.

You got tickets sorted for the Arsenal? Normally they're quite difficult & expensive to get hold of.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #9

Brugge over Brussels all the way! Rotterdam, you can do on a later trip, since Amsterdam has so much. You're squeezing a lot into Italy in a short time, so maybe skip one of them. London is great, but yes, super expensive, so maybe do the free things when you first arrive there, then do the expensive things at the end of your trip to see what is necessary. Of the things I have paid for in London, I only really liked Westminster. The Eye is good for pictures, but it takes a chunk of your time and money. Tower of London, i wouldn't go again. The good museums are all free and there is enough to see just walking around! Plus, those football tickets are going to set you back!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help I am going have look over some of these places again and cut a few out.
I havent sorted out tickets yet but I am trying to do that at the present time and am dreading actually having to pay for the tickets but it is a must for my trip.
I will post a more modest itinerary soon.
Cheers!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I think the ticket purchase will really help you plan your trip. I now like to set a couple of concrete dates and then plan from there. It helps me to fill in the blanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #12

Is it possible to give Rome only three days? I've never been there (I will next Summer!) but it just seems like a city where you'd want to spend a little more time perusing...
veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

if I had it to do again I would give every city 5 - 7 days. I did 4 days in rome and didn't feel like I saw everything.... in fact I barely scratched the surface.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I'm right with you again Adam. I enjoy a slower pace of traveling. I have done both styles of travling and highly recommend fewer destinations with longer stays. In Cordoba my wife and I would always stop at this little pastry shop and have whatever, but if we only had the time to eat there once I'm not sure if it would have left such a warm memory.