Yet another pack question.. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #1

Default Yet another pack question..

So I know this board gets this question quite often, but I'd appreciate the help.
I'm heading to Australia and NZ for about 10 weeks in March and I'm trying to narrow down my choices for a backpack. Right now I'm looking at REI, but only because I got a gift card for Christmas and I might as well try to use that option first. So of the ones I have picked out so far, any thoughts good or bad?

North Face El Lobo 65
Kelty Slider 65
Deuter ACT Lite 65 with 10 liter day pack
Marmot Matterhorn 42
Marmot Eiger 49

I'm not sure which brands are considered better than the others, so any suggestions would be great. Also, any thoughts on how large of a pack I should be looking for? I'm not planning on taking too much, but probably not going the extreme minimalist route either.

Thanks in advance.
goodtimes245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I would pick one of the 65 liter packs for a 10 week journey. Northface is a great company, but I think you end up paying a bit for the name.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Rabidly Xenophilic

Look at the REI Grand Tour or the North Face Backtrack. These are the "travel" style packs that zip open on the front (instead of top loading), a built in security cable, a removable day pack, and they have a flap that zips over the straps so that it is manageable when put in a plane/bus cargo area. There are similar packs from other manufacturers too but I compared this type of pack a LOT a few months ago and these two were clearly the best.

The REI pack is quite a bit cheaper, lighter, and is very nice. They're supposed to be the same size but I compared them side by side and the REI really did look a bit smaller. The North Face pack has a ton of really thoughful features...a toiletries bag that attaches inside the top, the flap to enclose the straps reverses to act as a built in rain cover, it has a separator with lots of handy zipper pockets to organize your this-and-that, etc.

I ended up getting the North Face pack, it's gorgeous although the main disadvantages are weight and cost.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice from both of you. I'm heading to REI tomorrow so I'll have a closer look at them then.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to ChrisP7683 Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisP7683

I have had a lot of different packs made by a lot of different companies and I have gotten to the point where I would not touch anything that wasn't made by either Osprey or Arc'teryx. Just my .02 but you get what you pay for...
So Far: Canada, Mexico, Peru, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Ireland, England, Spain, Turkey, Krgystan, Qatar, Afghanistan, Bahrain, UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Iraq, Thailand, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Hungary

Next: Oman, Bolivia, Columbia

ChrisP7683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #6

Ok, I just got back from REI and I have a couple of follow up questions/thoughts.

It seems like all of the people I have talked to at these types of stores seem to think I should be using some insanely large 80-90L pack for an 8-10 week trip. I was thinking more along the lines of 50-60 since I don't plan on taking a ton of stuff. What would you guys suggest?

Also, I looked at the REI Grand Tour, and although I like the idea of a "travel pack" and the travel friendly details that go with it, I have also read that pack has some big issues with the handles tearing off so I'm nervous about investing in it only to have to return it soon after.

One last thing. After seeing how small the day pack was that came with the Grand Tour, I started looking at getting a separate larger day pack and had an idea. Is it a bad idea to get a smaller (40L or so) main pack, and then a 18 liter day pack. I figure this way I can take them as carry on instead of checking, and between the two I still end up with almost 60L capacity. Thoughts?

Thanks again, you have all been very helpful.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

65L should be more than enough if you are trying to pack light. And as far as packs go, the REI brand works just fine and is cheaper. If I were you, I'd look for something that is longer and thinner as oppose to shorter and fatter. It's just more comfortable on your back from my experience (and I've trekked ALOT of miles). I'd also look for a padded hipbelt and shoulder straps, since anything thinner is going to cause discomfort after a few miles.

I have a Marmot (50L) and an Osprey pack(75L), but if I were to buy another pack, i'd go cheap. All the bells and whistles on the name brand packs are unnecessary. I'd also look secondhand if i had to. Save your money for your trip.

cheers and good luck!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

Maracle, Have you had a chance to use the Backtrack yet? if so what did you think about it? I had been looking at this one but I keep going back and forth.

Goodtimes, I highly recommend going with the smaller pack and not getting a pack that is 90L.
Pros of a 90L you have a lot more room.
Cons Lugging a 90L pack 2 miles in the wrong direction of your hostel then backtracking back can tire you out. (this happened to be in a 65L I couldn't imagine a pack 33% larger), You will most likly have to check this large pack, fitting it in tight trains and buses can be a chore. and finally unless you are an enormous person you will look pretty silly in a pack that large.

Again I would go with a 65 L and a daypack that you will probably wear around your front.

Good Luck and safe travels.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I would go for the large pack myself. Just because you have 33% more room does not mean that you have to fill it all. I often have issues fitting my shoes and whatnot into my pack before I check it on a plane. Having said that, the only time I had a problem with it not being large enough was at the end of my first and longest trip of 5 weeks. I had stuff tied to it and poked here, there and everywhere. Since then I know how to pack better, but still I would recommend a larger pack if you can wear it. You plan on being gone for 2 1/2 months. What you wear on your back is what you own. Since my first trip I have only been on two week trips and I don't come close to filling up my pack, but you are going on a 10 week trip. I also haven't considered your physical size and strength. I can't wear lots of big packs either because sometimes they make them for giants
Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #10

I think you´d do fine with anything in the 50-60 ltr. range, especially if the weather in those locations and at that time of the year isn´t too hot. Is March the end of autumn in Australia? Also, instead of packing a bulky coat, think of using layers and a fleece. I don´t necessarily think that going away for 10 weeks necessarily means you have to take more stuff than for one or two weeks...will you be able to do laundry regularly?

There is a youtube video (I´m not sure if linking here is allowed) of a guy packing for Europe in the summer and he uses an Osprey 35 liter! Ok, probably you get 40 or so from that one, but still...you don´t need too much, really. Just recheck your list and cut it in half. Although, I do think it´s quite comfortable to travel with 2/3 of a full pack.

Also, kudos on the smaller daypack. Look out for foldable packs that can easily fit within your bigger one. I´m not convinced a dettachable daypack is the way to go, but to each his own.
jlnemenz is offline   Reply With Quote