Showering Question - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-19-2004, 12:35 AM   #1
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

My two friends from work and me decided that before I move out of state of college we're going to take a roadtrip. Originally we were just going to go to NYC, because neither of them have been there. But we found out Greyhound buses take 72 hours...3 days to get to California. So we are taking August 1st thru 8th off to drive to California.

Greyhound says that they stop evey few hours for a stop and time meal stops at the regular times(ie breakfast lunch dinner). So we are figuring a 1/2 hour stop every 3 hours and an hour meal stop at the normal times. We figure this will work because we'll be rotating the drivers.

My question is that since we're sticking three girls in a car for a week it's likely we won't have a chance to shower or clean up besides the wet napkin in the McDonalds stall trick. Does anyone known of places that will let travelers shower? I know in many rest stops in Europe they have shower stalls where you can pay for minutes of hot water but I haven't heard of any in the States. Should we just wait until we get to California and check into our hotel?

Any help would be appreciated!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #2
FireGuy
Members

Hey Blinkchick
FireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
FireGuy
Members

Hey Blinkchick,

A couple things you could try. All along major routes in the states there's campgrounds, for car travellers, ie "KOA"s. I've stayed at these places and all you need is a tent, so if you want to stop for the night for some rest, they're an inexpensive alternative. Also these campgrounds are usually pretty laid back, I'm thinking even if you don't stay at one, you could drive up and use the shower/restrooms without any problems. If you're uncomfortable with that, you could always ask the attendant and I doubt they would say no to you.

Another idea, is truck stops. They usually have showers for truck drivers. You might have to pay a little bit to use them though, or get permission since they are mostly used by truck drivers. I haven't used the showers first hand, so you might want to make sure they clean enough, safe, etc.
FireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
phlipfudge23
Members

I would second the idea about using truck stops. The only time I've taken the greyhound the regular breaks were about 15 min and the meal breaks 45. For me, that doesn't seem like enough time to eat, go to the bathroom and shower, plus get back on the bus. They definately told us that if we weren't back by the time they were ready to leave, they wouldn't be sticking around. For that reason I would be tempted to just wait until you get to Cali, and then shower right away.
phlipfudge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

I know TA travel plazas have showers for anyone to use. I'm not sure if that is a nationwide chain or just here out west though.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
zylah
TPunk Recognized

you could always fly and save yourself 2 days.
a very quick look on the internet shows greyhound New tork to La $259.
flying $216 (although i saw someat above $500)
I'm not sure what days your going, but do a search for chaep airlines and try a few out. If flying is the same price as driving and you get to save 2 days (each way) why not fly?

zylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

ROAD TRIP!

Sounds like fun, Amber. I'm sure you guys will all love each other, hate each other, by the time it's over!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
Aisha
Members

Baby wipes (wet towels) are good for when you can't have a shower - lock yourself in a toilet cubicle, strip off and wipe yourself down with them. Trust me, I was sceptical at first but it definately makes you feel a whole lot cleaner. And some of them smell real good too!
Aisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Yeah TA Travel Centers are in many places across the country. There is one near Monroe, Mi too

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:36 AM   #10
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Oh, and Amber, if you guys need a place to stay for the night while on the road, my house in Columbus, OH, is at your disposal. I just closed on it yesterday, and move in at the end of the month.

Oh, and of course, you can use the shower! Either that, or lock yourselves in a room and do the baby wipe thing...whatever tickles your fancy.

Seriously, if you do swing through here, we might talk Siju into coming down for a TP punk party, too!

worldwidemike
Old 04-21-2004, 07:32 AM   #11
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Quote:
if you do swing through here, we might talk Siju into coming down for a TP punk party, too
Damnit, I am moving. No one ever goes to Detroit. BAH! I need to be a more socially acceptable city, like Chicago, or Philly, or something.

But on the other hand, and TP meet up is fun too.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #12
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I can see my friends reactions to that now!

"Hey we're going to swing by this dude I know from the web's house, is that cool?"

Actually they probably won't care. Well I was planning on at least going through Ohio because well I kinda have to lol. If not I'm sure we could take a few extra hours...I'll tell them I saw a sign for the world's biggest French Fry. Hehe tourist traps...good stuff.

As for flying, we are sooo strapped for cash it's not even funny. Ok well it is but don't laugh! All three of us work at a shit job...as in $7.70 an hour and we've been there for 3 years. I'm starting college August 16th...well that's when I move into my dorm anyway. Teaneck/Hackinsack, New Jersey if anyone is from that area. Plus we figured driving would be funny as hell. They want to take my car though...which is a 5-speed and neither of them drive stick/clutch. Not happening.

Well we aren't really going to California to vacation just to say 'Yeah when I was 18/19 I drove across country with these two other nutty chicks and boy let me tell ya the adventures' cue: old country bumpkin music.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #13
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Hi Amber,

Just checked out your website...my, my...have Mom or Dad read it? You have a nice stream-of-consciousness style of writing...keep it up!

Hey, if you can manage a stop in Ohio, that'd be great. I know it will be quite the production, driving across country and all, but if it works out, cool. Tell your friends to read my web site...last time I checked, I don't come across as like an axe murderer or anything on it.

worldwidemike
Old 04-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #14
Carisia
TPunk Recognized

Hey Amber, sound like a great trip! Good luck with that! Just checked out your website too, pretty cool, I love your Concerts page, pretty good taste for rock I must tell ya! Can't wait to meet ya in Philly!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:53 PM   #15
pojohnny
Members

Amber,

I'm a truck driver and as far as I know, the showers are open to the public. These truck stops offer showers:

1)Petro
2)Flying J
3)T/A 's
4)Love's

That's pretty muched ranked in order of desirability too. With there being not much difference between Petro's and Flying J's (they're the best). The TA's and Love's are the worst. OOps. I forgot to add Pilot's. I'd place them somewhere in the middle. I didn't put them in the top because they consistently have this funky smell.

Don't hate me for bringing this up because I'd like to eventually meet some of ya'll. But be aware of the lot lizard situation and make sure your female friends know too. Lot lizards, commercial company, hookers.... whatever. These are the woman who initiate conversation, draw attention to themselves, dress cheaply, ..and suck cock for $20.

All of these truck stops have showers. So just go up to the counter at the fuel desk. (Hint: If the parking lot is pretty empty, then you'll have better luck at immediately getting three empty showers.) Tell the cashier you need to buy a shower. Be ready to give a returnable deposit for the towel or key or whatever. And then ya'll just walk on in to the drivers lounge and shout in a loud voice, "We're not giving any blowjobs. Not even for twenty-FIVE dollars!". Should have no problems.

j/k

Seriously though, usually around lunch time is the best time to go.

po
pojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #16
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Hey pojohnny!!! Thats a great post, with some great tips!

And I would like to ya to the family!

I am sure with all ur truck'n experience you would have some great tips on cool places to stop all over the US ( and Canada maybe) The open roads of America must be something else!

Anything you can add to these boards to help out the trav'las would be amazing!

KEEP ON TRUCK'N!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:05 PM   #17
pojohnny
Members

Thanks for the welcome Canadian Dude! I appreciate that animated gif of the headlights and asphalt. Nice touch

I've been lurking for awhile and gleaning from what I can from the posts. Yours are especially helpful and interesting. I've only had my CDL's since Sep03 and I've got one SE Asia trip under my belt. But I'll still try to add what little I can. I'm planning on another trip this winter when the freight hauling slows down. Glad I found this site.

And again thanks for the Welcome.

po
pojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
nicostaydu

go to a hostel
nicostaydu is offline   Reply With Quote