Pretend to be Canadian or... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Dumb Questions for First Time Travelers
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Dumb Questions for First Time Travelers Rule number one- There are no dumb questions!
First time travelers, please ask your dumb questions here=)!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
DharmaBum

Default headed to dublin

do i need to pretend to be canadian or anything weird like that? I dont want to but my friends say its a must. headed to dublin in a week. then al over europe. uk, czech, netherlands italy etc...

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
DharmaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

No, you don't need to pretend to be Canadian

I've never had a bit of trouble being American while abroad. Isn't everyone in Ireland related to someone that lives in the US anyway?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

no...anyone who has a problem with me personally as an american can go to hell, now a problem with our government is a different story

besides i bet most people are happy now bc obama got elected, at least now we dont have to be completely embarrassed by our govt (even if you didnt support obama, there's no denying people overseas like him better than mccain)

Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
polarbear

Send a message via AIM to polarbear Send a message via MSN to polarbear

ya, i imagine with the new president elect that Europeans may be even more welcoming of an American, i know my friend in germany was a obama supporter all the way. lol
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

Lizz, I have that exact tattoo! Except the eagle is also on fire and carrying a glock in one claw and a Big Mac in the other.

In the words of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, "America F*#$ Yeah!"

Just kidding. But I agree, I'm proud to be an American (cue the music). Yeah, I have lots of problems with our government (especially the outgoing administration) but on a personal level I know I'm a good and decent human being - and people around the world take the time to realize that too. I've never had a problem being from "The States" so I wouldn't worry about it.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

^^ Dude, you never posted a picture of that tattoo on the tattoo thread!!

Yeah, I've known people who have lied and said they're American, but I'd never do that. I don't want to pretend to be someone different just so that I will get treated better. If they don't want to take the time figuring out that I'm actually a good person, then I don't need to interact with them.

On a positive note though, I have never been treated differently in Western Europe just because I'm American.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Dig
TPunk Moderator

^^ Same here. I always truthfully tell others where I am from... Texas. :D But seriously I have found that the average person I talk to can tell the difference between political/national spin and me.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

If you do it, make sure there are no real Canadians around. We can smell fakes from a thousand meters away, eh.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Yeah, don't waste your time with that, if your not an loud annoying fratboy american type, than you will be fine. Its the loud, ignorant, expectation (that english is universal and all should speak it) attitude that gets you some grief! kick back and enjoy!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

I think it's ridiculous when americans pretend to be canadians. Be proud of who you are! You'll be fine, especially in a place like Europe.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
Lizz, I have that exact tattoo! Except the eagle is also on fire and carrying a glock in one claw and a Big Mac in the other.

slow on this thread but just read this matt and laughed out loud for about 45 minutes HAHAHAHA

anyhoo, there are a lot of misconceptions out there of americans so please if you are not a huge douche then go out and represent for the US, you know, YES WE CAN and all that good stuff.

(if you are a huge douche, then say you're canadian, no one will hate you )

in all seriousness, please go out and represent. you will find ignorance everywhere and the best way to combat it is lead by example.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
space virgin
Yoda

If you were ever going to pretend to be Canadian, it would be a wasted effort in Europe. Besides the fact that a.) you don't need to and 2.) that lie is typically smelled from a mile away, it wouldn't better your situation any with the current political climate.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
davidd
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Send a message via MSN to davidd

I did talk to one actual Canadian guy who went into the bulldog hostel in Amsterdam and told that they didn't have any beds available. When he turned to walk out the receptionist spotted the Canadian flag on his pack and said "Oh I thought you were American, I think a bed just opened up"
Old 03-18-2009, 02:36 AM   #14
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

I think its silly. I know im not american, and dont probably dont really realise what people say about americans/govt etc... But I think people should be proud of where they come from.

When I was in Italy, and Piazza Navona, I bought a painting from this guy and he spent an hour telling me how much he didn't like America, I told him I wasn't American and he still carried on...he actually stopped this random american on the street to argue with him. That was just one guy though, youll be fine, it's not like theyre going to attack you or anything!

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #15
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

when I was in Munich last summer we were getting ready to start our bike tour when our guide shooed us in the building and closed the door randomly (we were outside at the time) and we were all confused but it turns out there was a group of like 8 locals who hated America and were slinging a few choice words at us because apparently since we were taking a bike tour of Munich that must mean we were all american haha. it's funny cos a good bit of our tour was canadian. oh well hopefully the silly shit will stop in the next year or so as the new administration sinks in and everyone has time to get their mind right. or hell maybe everyone will always hate us. there will always be a certain amount of ppl. whatever. I know I don't behave like some asshole when I'm abroad and that's the best I can do.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #16
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

I finally met someone who straight up hated me for being American - some drunk azz employee at the Lungile Lodge Backpackers in Port Elizabeth (listing it out so hopefully Google will find this little gem).

Having done nothing wrong oursevles, he leaps into this diatribe about how we are the worst country on Earth and that all of its citizens are therefore horrible horrible people. We shouldn't even be allowed into his country (no offense Mish but kinda hypocritical words from the white South African wouldn't you say?). One of the worst parts was that he worked there which didn't inspire much comfort in us for the evening. Obviously we checked out quite early the next morning content to leave that place behind for good.

Also I could never pretend to be Canadian because I couldn't even name the capital, let alone half the provinces...although I do know the national sport is NOT hockey.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #17
mish99
TPunk Moderator

^^ No offense at all. And I agree!! With you, not him.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #18
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

I should add that so many other South Africans - of all descents - were incredibly nice to us - even after finding out we were American. Much like the rest of the world. We'll never totally eliminate racism and intolerance but I'd like to think that we here are doing our small part every day.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #19
mish99
TPunk Moderator

That guy was just a dickwad. Excuse my language. We are actually a pretty neutral country, and saffa's dont actually hate other nationalities (not that I know of). We do however, enjoy a good bit of teasing of the Brits!!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
Also I could never pretend to be Canadian because I couldn't even name the capital, let alone half the provinces...although I do know the national sport is NOT hockey.
It's Ottawa.

And the national sport IS hockey. Although a Canadian did invent basketball.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote