new adventure - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > 'Round The World Travel

'Round The World Travel Feel like conquering the world? Give us the run down, your game plan, the strategy...

Spiff is on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Rhine

Default new adventure

Im looking to get started on my new adventure. Id really like to do a long haul through Europe. The thing is, im looking to some of you who have spent multiple months backpacking through Europe. Does anyone have any suggestion in terms of routs? I was think West to East, and no real itinerary in terms of time. Ive been to most European counties, but would like to spend more time in countries like Croatia, Bosnia, and Srbija. Im also looking for a travel buddy.

Any suggestions would be great!

roger, thanks, cheers
Rhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

With no itinerary it doesn't really matter where you start. Just figure out what you want to see. Already you have said you want to see Croatia, Bosnia, and Serbia. Fly into one of those countries and see where the road takes you from there.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I think west to east is the best way. Western Europe is going to be the most expensive part so you don't want to get left short money wise.

An itinerary isn't really necessary I never had one. Every major city and town in Europe (even eastern Europe) has a daily bus/train service. If your traveling off peak it's enough just to ring ahead the day before or on the way to book accommodation.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Rhine

Thanks Lizz and MeTurk for the replies. So coming to the conclusion that an itinerary isnt necessary in terms of long time travel. Like I said id really like to be out there for as long as I can. I'll have to see along the way about getting some work, maybe in hostiles.

thanks again.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
VP.
Members

Send a message via AIM to VP.

Hey.

Yeah, I think it's best to go with a vague idea of where you want to end up in your head, but not tie yourself down to a strict itinerary. I've done multi-month trip in Europe once, but I did find I was bound to a somewhat strict itinerary. For my next trip I'm going to leave it as open as possible. If you do it that way you can do things like meet up with people at your hostel and decide on a whim to tag along with them for their next destination. You can have a lot of fun doing this.

When are you planning on going over? I'm going to be heading over to Europe this fall - around October. I won't be travelling as long as you, but I'm thinking around 6 weeks right now. If we overlap at all I'd definitely be cool with meeting up at some point.

Also as for planning a route, if you still want some specific help - just post a small list of cities and I'll do my best to tell you how I'd take it. You listed so many places in your first post I don't think it's physically possible to plan a definite route!
VP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Rhine

Thanks VP,

I have a vague idea of where I want to go. I just dont have much of an idea of exatly what I want to do in country. Your idea of meeting people and tagging alone with them is EXACTLY, what I want to do, and is what attracted me so much to backpacking - the unknown. The basic intineray I came up with, through looking at a map is as fallows:

France, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Czech, Republic, Austria, Croatian, Bosnia, Serbia, Romania, Moldova, Transnistria, Ukraine, Russia. Which will probly change 100 times before I leave.

But like I said, I dont want to be at all a slave to time. If I feel like I want to spend more time in a country working for money, accomidation, etc I want to be able to do that.

I have a job starting in June of this year, and ending in January 0f 09. 100% of the money that I will make there will go to my travel for as long as it will last me. Then I have a reserve I will tap into. So im thinking about going as soon as my job ends. Late January or Febuary...

I wouldnt mind however catching one of the trans siberia / trans monglian train trips later in the year.

My planning is still in the very early stages, and im up for any change. Id really like to find some who is interested in going with me. And I would want them (if I ever fond someone) to be involved in the planning. So im a bit discouraged sometimes, and a bit hesitant to start.

If any of the above didnt make since, im truely sorry for I am a bit shite faced.

thanks
-Ryan
Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

If you really want to go I would not try to rely on waiting for a partner willing and able to go. Just by reading people experiences here I see a lot of "my buddy bailed on me" and people either use that as an excuse to not go or they go by themselves and end up having an awesome time. I guess some people have fears, but there are plenty of people to meet in hostels. On both my solo trips I was ready to go without a second thought.

So if all goes to plan I will be doing a little Balkans trip in Jan, like for 1 month, before my study abroad in Moscow and/or the TransSib afterwards. So maybe our paths will cross on the road.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ Agreed. Europe is one of those incredibly easy to backpack places in the sense that even in the off season, it's still relatively well travelled. (Therefore you don't need to bring friends with you to keep you company...you WILL meet people). I wouldn't rely on finding a travel buddy either. Tagging along with people on short legs of their trips will be a lot easier without a friend in tow...

Good luck!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote