Insurance for open-ended trip? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Formalities

Travel Formalities #@&##@ ! Paperwork, paperwork ! Help me out !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

Default Insurance for open-ended trip?

Well guys, I should be graduating from Uni this summer and plan to travel for an unspecified amount of time, it could be anywhere from like a month to possibly living abroad forever, so my question is, what do I do about travel insurance? Practically all policies I've seen require you to be in the UK when you take them out and have to specify exactly how long you want it for, so what do long term travellers do? It's a question I never though to ask when I've met them on the road.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Specify one year, or heck, two. Or ask the agent who sells it if they have certain categories that affect the rate? Like is there one rate for 1 week, another for 1 week to 1 month, a third rate for 1 month plus to 1 year, and so on. You should be able to find an insurance agent who will talk with you and figure out exactly how it works. That way, maybe you can find out what their upward limit is...

So, Adam, where's this trip going to start...?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Adam you are an ambitious traveler man, I really got to hand it to you

I just got a policy through the link above (Cheap Travel Insurance). World Nomads. 125 GBP for 6 months, which was cheaper than what I used before.

If you are in Europe, I think you would be covered right? I think I remember MeTurk saying he was in a Prague hospital and they accepted his National Irish coverage. In any event, good luck and like Mike said, where is this trip heading? Antartica :P?

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

The current plan of action (which could very well change) is to leave the UK sometime in July, and hitchhike from London to Istanbul, stopping off to visit friends in Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia on the way. Then I hope to travel through Georgia and Armenia before going back to Iran to do a road trip with a friend of mine who I met in Tehran. After that I'll cross into Pakistan, then India, Nepal and Bangladesh. Then I'll probably have to fly to Bangkok, see some of SE Asia and I'm thinking of getting a working holiday visa for Australia. After that, who knows, but it would be nice to continue on to south (and north) america, or maybe africa, or antartica, or come home, or find a tropical island in french polynesia to live on...
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
expatben
lover of Germany

I would guesstimate if I were you try something like 3-4 years. Play it safe thats my motto when it comes to insurance.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

The problem with taking out a policy for 3-4 years is that firstly, most insurancers I've found have an upper limit of 18 months, and secondly, it would be very very expensive and a big waste of money if I had to return to the UK for whatever reason after a short length of time.

I'm thinking of just getting a policy for a year and seeing what happens, by my current plan I'd be in Australia by then anyway which shouldn't pose too many risks. I wouldn't buy it until just before I leave so still have plenty of time.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Man! Sounds like an awesome trip plan...

Keep us posted on the insurance resolution...and good luck!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
samdriscoll

I am about to move 9 different countries in next two months, and I have an insurance with.....suggest me for insurance service provider
samdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
samdriscoll

Any suggestions.....Guys I know few travel insurance companies but never used. Now I need it on great extent. I have to make a hectic scheduled trip which strongly demands a backpackers insurance.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
expatben
lover of Germany

I would go to a travel agent and shop around-how long are you traveling for?

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
travelpunk
Admin

Here's a link to our backpacker insurance page.
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
ankitadas

There are so many you can find online.
ankitadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:51 AM   #13
mackbosh

Default Re- Insurance for open-ended trip?

Hello Ajb3000...

Travel insurance is necessary to avoid the problems in tripping,whether you are in abroad or in your country.Travel insurance is taken for a specific limit of time,but you can extend this when your previous one expires.Travel insurance is intended to cover financial and other losses occurred while traveling(such as theft,hurricane,sick).

Travel insurance is an easy, simple, and cheap way to protect yourself and your family.I will suggest you to have a travel insurance,before going on the trip.

With regards,
Mack bosh.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #14
samdriscoll

thanks,

Actually I was looking for the travel insurance but I got it now, I have bought travel insurance for an year, it will active from Dec 15, 2010.

Last edited by simply_angelic; 10-13-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #15
samdriscoll

Travel insurance, I have bought is little costly but I got high amount of coverage from insurance provider.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #16
ankitadas

Hi Sam,
There are so many cost- effective backpacker insurance companies. You can search online and even you can get quotes of them. You can compare them and get the best. I tried for this and got the best and cheap backpacker insurance.
ankitadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
beliefsvn

I would guesstimate if I were you try something like 3-4 years. Play it safe thats my motto when it comes to insurance.
beliefsvn is offline   Reply With Quote