sunray, bundaberg - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel Reviews > Bad Hostels > Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga Hostels Bad Review

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
Members

welcome to the hostel hell! worst place i have been so long.
after i paid my money for the stay, i got the key and the words "you stay in room 4 with another stupid german." - welcome! in the dirty rooms, you find signs all over the place: "NO BEER IN THE FRIDGE!", "NO SMOKING!", "STRICTLY NO ALCOHOL OR WE CALL THE POLICE!", "NO DRUGS!". during my stay, the owner kicked 2 people out for having a beer.
you can also get work if you want. this means, you have to get up at 3am in the morning, a fat and smelly guy on heavy drugs drives you at 3:30am 1km to the "federal hostel", where you wait till 5am and then drive with the federal-bus to the fields.
they also have a swimmingpool at sunray. i dont know if they ever change the water, but twice a week the fat smelly guy jumps in without taking his clothes off, swims aroud for 5 mins and sits in the sun until he is dry (and "clean") - so you really should not use the pool.
so avoid this place at all costs.
falcondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

NO ALCOHOL!!!

This world is falling apart piece by piece.....
Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Yeah, I've heard bad things about Bundy - that it's a destination for desperate workers who'll take the lousiest picking jobs under the table.. But I *do* kind of want to stop there and take the distillery tour, if only because it's my favorite rum... Anyone done this and think it's worthwhile? Or should I just drink that stuff every day and not worry about where it came from?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Aug 8 2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I've heard bad things about Bundy - that it's a destination for desperate workers who'll take the lousiest picking jobs under the table.. But I *do* kind of want to stop there and take the distillery tour, if only because it's my favorite rum... Anyone done this and think it's worthwhile? Or should I just drink that stuff every day and not worry about where it came from?
[snapback]73067[/snapback]
I grew up near bundy... don't bother... there is another rum distillery at Beenligh in the far south end of Brisbane on the way to the gold coast. Same experience, don't have to waste time in other parts of Queensland.

I lived in Queensland for 29 years - my tips: Cairns, Whitsunday Islands, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, bugger the rest. If you want work stick to the capital cities or go friut picking in South Australia or Victoria where the weather is less oppressive.

Chris
beitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:08 AM   #5
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Tadpole@Aug 8 2005, 08:24 PM
NO ALCOHOL!!!

This world is falling apart piece by piece.....
[snapback]73048[/snapback]
You must understand that the accommodation is also used by toothless loser hicks - both local and interstate, for whom fruit picking is the highest level of employment they will ever achieve - think of a cross between the family from the Texas chainsaw massacre and the deliverance. Mix these freaks with alcohol and drugs and you'll end up with dead backpackers or worse another Childers Hostel fire...

Cheers

Chris
beitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #6

Default The house of horror

I've been around the world 2 times and this was the most horrible place where I stayed. Not even the cheapest hostels in southeast asia can match the horror of sunray backpackers in bundaberg. If you tell other people about this place they think that you want to tell a funny story and exaggerate in order to do so. But it's all just the truth...
Rooms are as shabby as you can imagine, my matress hat huge brown and yellow dots and smelled like someone had recently died on it.
In the night cockroaches come out to play.
The owner is a weird guy who tells you one thing the one minute and the opposite the next minute. Almost anything fun is forbidden, after a hard working day it's not even allowed to have a beer. But guess who sits in his chair and enjoys a cold beer in front of all guests....The owner himself.
Several people got kicked out because they MAY have broken the strange hostel rules, I stayed with them in one room and there was no proof or witness but the owner kicked them out in the middle of the night anyway ( they had to pay the rent for one week and didn't get back the money for the nights they "lost", not even their deposit ).Even so the owner is above 40 at least he chased after some girls in the hostel and asked one who was a friend of mine if she didn't want to have dinner with him in a fancy restaurant. Of cource she said no and left the next day.
The owner has a fat "slave" who does all kind of dirty work for him. This guy can't even speak one sentence and plays with baby toys when he is in his room. This guy DRIVES you to work in the morning, someday people will die because of him and the owner. And yes, 2 times a week he jumps into the pool with all clothes on and "washes" himself there leaving brown und yellow lines. It all sounds like a joke but i swear it's just like that. DO NOT EVER GO THERE. I hope the place burns down while everybody is a work , well except the owner...
sanubis is offline   Reply With Quote