What is your favorite ethnic food??? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-24-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

In your travels, or at home, or in your mind to try...what is your favorite ethnic food?????

One of the best things I have had, and don't laugh, is real english fish'N chips...a great little shop across from Paddington Stn...they gave it to me in newsprint wrap...it was soooooooo good....

And on the Negative side, ( and no offence to our Aussie Brothers and Sisters) Vegimite...dam was that stuff gross!!!!! How people can eat it i dunno, but in Oz, its just like us North Americans with PB & J....

Something that I would like to try would be some real Chinese food from a market in Beijing...I think that would be sweet!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #2
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

I haven't travelled to greece, but when at home I love going to greek restaurents. mmmm souvlaki. I love love love it!. Irish stew rocks as well. Whenever I travel to a local country I have to have at least one local dish.

wales- welsh lamb
ireland- irish stew and a pint of guinesss!
costa rica-gallo pinto
etc..etc..etc..
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:08 AM   #3
travelpunk
Admin

Unequivocally-SUSHI!

Italiano and Thai, too! But, I can eat the raw stuff 24/7
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:49 AM   #4
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Exclamation

Southwestern Chinese food FROM THE MAINLAND MMMM!!!! (Ok, I'm a lil biased here.)

Northern Chinese food is too wheat flour-based - like everything's in a bun. And so much damn noodles/pasta...I prefer rice. And, I need that real SW HEAT to get me off too! :bomb: :eat:

Sushi, THAI and fish & chips are great as well! LJS is actually my fav (or lesser evil if I have to choose one) fast food place, I hate to admit! Even vegemite is ok (too salty tho). And baklava and Middle Eastern treats mmmmm!!! Gelato too..
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I am lov'n the sushi dudes!!! I crave for it nightly!!!

And the Italian food, is adddictive like heroine

Old 06-25-2003, 06:00 PM   #6
crionnacht
TPunk Emeritus

japanese food. i. love. japanese. food.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

ugh..for all those japanese sushi lovers just come to vancouver. It's a sushi obsessed town that's for sure. But i'm getting screwed cuz I don't even like sushi!!!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

well i can honestly say that i have enjoyed sushi sonce before it became "cool" to eat....so there :-P

Old 06-27-2003, 03:47 AM   #9
travelpunk
Admin

You are sooo missing out Dio! Sushi is scrumptiously delicious !

Had one piece of sushi and didn´t care for it. It was a mental thing "it´s not cooked !" Then, one day I watched a tv program about a study that said the average generation of the Japanese is 72-75yrs, ten years longer than that of the average generation for Americans. They attributed that to their diet of mostly raw fish which had no and or low cholesterol, no fat, no preservatives.

Strangely, I had a craving for sushi after I saw that program. The rest is history
Old 06-27-2003, 08:28 AM   #10
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

I think eating live food is far healthier than dead food. That's why Americans are so supersized, diet is largely composed of dead processed food that has lost its vitality.

The thing about sushi is, since it's raw, you know it has to be fresh cuz there's no cooking that can cover-up any old off-fishy smell.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:48 PM   #11
travelpunk
Admin

Gotta love that fishy smell
Old 11-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #12
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

i say middle eastern/mediterranean food on the whole is my favorite - i just love legumes/beans of all types and their diet has so much of that, i have to bow down! felafel, hummus, dolmas, tabouli, the baklavas, manakeesh - all that stuff.

after that, japanese food (my boyfriends grandma is one of the best cooks around!)
then filipino food, for sure - damn, ever tried those barbeque chicken sticks?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:00 PM   #13
Columbia
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

Mmmm baklava......I really don't like East Indian Food but I had something once called Picoras, maybe Picaros; I know thats not how its spelt but thats how it's pronounced. They were better than french fries damn straight.
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
kyle j
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to kyle j

Japanese is def. my favorite, my grandmother is japanese and makes some really good stuff dont know the names of anything really except sashimi which is close to sushi , raw fish with pickeled veggies and some wasabi, but American runs a close second hamburgers french fries and a milkshake does the trick pretty well and I like cheap american beer

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v70/kylej/

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/WildBillJackson/
kyle j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:02 AM   #15
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

For all the Sushi lovers, next saturday I'm going for a dinner at my mom's friend and we'll have a 'Sushi Master' cooking them for us right on the spot! Heheh! I can't wait! :eat:

I love mediteranean food, I cook it at home all the time...I also eat at Greek restaurants...Mhhhh....Feta cheese, fresh tomatoes, humus, 10% fat yogurt with honey and fruits in it....ahhhhhh....Mexican and japanese food too...I don't know, I haven't tasted a lot yet, and out here we don't have that many ethnical restaurants.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #16
AdamTheCultured
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by joanofarc@Nov 18 2003, 06:32 PM
i say middle eastern/mediterranean food on the whole is my favorite - i just love legumes/beans of all types and their diet has so much of that, i have to bow down!* * felafel, hummus, dolmas, tabouli, the baklavas, manakeesh - all that stuff.

after that, japanese food (my boyfriends grandma is one of the best cooks around!)
then filipino food, for sure - damn, ever tried those barbeque chicken sticks?
HELL YES!!! Mediterranean food has to be the best out there!!! MMM.....Falafel Pita with Humus and extra tahini sauce.....MMMM.........SO GOOD!!!

I am also a MAJOR FAN of sushi and sushi rolls.....

Another one of my favorite's has to be Indian food...vegetable samosa....nan bread...mango chutney...curry.........MMMMM

In actuality I like everything!!! Italien, Cuban, Chineese, Thai, Lebaneese, Mexican, Filipino, Caribbean, Jamaican, French Cuisine, Israeli, Vegitarean/vegan......I'll eat it and love it!!!
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:38 AM   #17
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Exclamation

You know, they should have international buffets with the best food from all countries! Middle Eastern, Asian, Macrobiotic, etc, mmmm... B)
Old 11-26-2003, 06:48 AM   #18
AdamTheCultured
TPunk Recognized

and a vomitorium next door, so whenever you get too full to eat anymore, ya just visit the vomitorium, do what ya gotta do and you're ready for helping number 2, 3, and so on and so forth.....
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:30 AM   #19
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

I like some curries, if its done right, a butter chicken curry will hit the spot like no other :D
Old 12-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #20
katdawg
Members

Frickin A, I'm soooo hungry after reading all these posts and there is nothing open at this late hour. Fooey!

KyleJ, tell your grandma to cook for me cause I love, love, LOVE Japanese food....udon, shabu-shabu, yakitori... but sushi -- actually sashimi -- makes me absolutely giddy. :eat: :eat: :eat: I eat it at least once, if not several times a week!!!

It's totally my dealbreaker (or is it dealmaker??) when it comes to guys. If you don't love sushi, you get no love, baby!!! Rolls don't count, hah, it's gotta be the raw stuff!!
Also love Italian food! And of course, gotta pay homage to my heritage and go with Vietnamese food! By now some of you have to know about pho! It's better than your mom's chicken soup baby and cures what ails ya.

:eat: :eat: :eat:
Until I found youuuuu

I was beat. Incomplete
I'd been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you maaaade me feel
Shiny and neeeeew
katdawg is offline   Reply With Quote