Backpacking Lessons Learned - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #21
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

It works backwards too. Sometimes I'm looking at something, and I go "well, I've seen enough of you." But then whoever I'm with is FASCINATED by it. Or else they act that way to out-sophisticate me!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #22
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

That's true Jessica! While I was at the Tate I saw some people really staring at some blue paintings with some slight discolorations.

If I was with that person it would have driven me nuts! I know within 10secs if I want to spend more than a minute looking at something.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #23
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

The best lessons learned from this last trip is that when it comes down to it, you really don't NEED a daypack. Most of this trip, I left my daypack at the hostel, and just put everything in my pockets...

I mean, really what do you need to bring when you are out walking? Your wallet, camera, a map, cigarettes... not too much else.

That being said some days I needed a daypack (like hiking the great wall) but for 90% of the days, I was fine without it.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 AM   #24
Skoey

I'm loving traveling solo

the only thing that really gets to me is making great friends for all of a day or evening and then waking up the next day and they are gone
i know facebook and things make it easier to stay in touch but it doesn't seem to happen that often

but i look at it and think: oh well, new friends tonight then
Skoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #25
BedtimeontheMoon
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoey View Post
I'm loving traveling solo

the only thing that really gets to me is making great friends for all of a day or evening and then waking up the next day and they are gone
i know facebook and things make it easier to stay in touch but it doesn't seem to happen that often

but i look at it and think: oh well, new friends tonight then

I thought this was one of the best part of going solo... I mean yea, you make friends and then they're gone, but there is always the prospect of new friends that same day... and hey if you don't feel like talking to anyone, you don't have to! If you don't like the people you met, hey you have no obligation to them... This was fantastic for me considering every trip I ever take with my friends ends up with someone hating someone by the end of it!
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #26
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedtimeontheMoon View Post
This was fantastic for me considering every trip I ever take with my friends ends up with someone hating someone by the end of it!
So so so true!!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #27
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

I'm having a hard time imagining you as a hater flor!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #28
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Oh, i'm usually not the hater... but I often find myself in between friends keeping them from going at each other.... so annoying.

Or like in summer vacatioons we might go to the beach.. and we all agree before hand that we dont have to go all 7 of us everywhere... and then you get to the apartment, and on the 5th night you decide to not go out for one night cause of the insolation you have from lying all day at the beach and it's granted two of them will be offended the next morning...

Although with one of my friends (also called Florencia) we have a great connection! We went together to Ushuaïa in February, and we're planning our summer vacation for this January and I think it's gonnna be great. We might add up one more friend, but we'll try to keep it down.

I'll tell u guys about my new plans as soon as I have any real plans!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

Old 08-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #29
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

^I love both Flors equally. For the record.
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #30
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Solo backpacking is, in a way, more like real travelling because there is absolutely no type of social consistency.
So this might not be the right thread, but I think going to a new place and stepping out of the box, all of it is "real traveling". Everyone has different goals and needs and wants and as long as their stretching to learn about new places and cultures, its definitely "real" traveling. Sorry, this is a little pet peeve of mine so I had to throw in my 2 cents.
I totally get what you're saying about it being different socially, but that's not what defines travelling. Thanks for listening

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #31
mushroom22
TPunk Recognized

^^ Well said Delaney.

I agree and would encourage anyone to get out and explore somewhere new. Whether it's with one person, a group of people or by yourself. You'll have completely different experiences but none necessarily better than the other.

I tend to travel alone b/c I can never find anyone who wants to go on my journeys with me - so selfishly, I do what I want.
mushroom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #32
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
^I love both Flors equally. For the record.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #33
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
So this might not be the right thread, but I think going to a new place and stepping out of the box, all of it is "real traveling". Everyone has different goals and needs and wants and as long as their stretching to learn about new places and cultures, its definitely "real" traveling. Sorry, this is a little pet peeve of mine so I had to throw in my 2 cents.
True that. Actually the more i meet friends when backpacking solo, the most I ask myself if the "friends" I meet are "real friends"? I mean someone you meet one day and never again cannot be someone who has your back. You sort of see this play out if some shit actually happens on the road.

But then again, who cares, we're all just out to have a good time.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #34
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Solo backpacking is, in a way, more like real travelling because there is absolutely no type of social consistency. So you have inconsistent surroundings, and inconssistent social networks... so its like totally a crap shoot, and you must rely all on your skills, luck, etc... which is generally when you find out most about yourself.

Basically with solo travelling, you either have awesome nights or shitty nights
If you think about it, the inconsistency is actually a consistency that defines the "backpacker" subculture. I'm sure most or all of us saw A Map For Saturday. As shown in the film, mostly everyone (many nationalities over a variety of destinations) going solo is expecting these inconsistencies, so it creates this setting where you know eventually you'll have to move on, but while you're here you absolutely have the chance for a social network. That's one of the functions of the hostel, a preexisting social network. It could be argued that "backpacking" is nothing more than an impromptu Contiki tour. Have you ever experienced or observed being at a hostel, and you or some other people form this little clique? Some people might even stay longer than planned, consciously or subconsciously, to stay longer with the clique; or at least expressed their disappointment they had to leave the group. Have you ever got into this little rut where you only went out drinking/partying/whathaveyou with the clique? Did you have a greater chance to experience more local culture than say someone on a Contiki? Probably not. I'm not trying to equate a Contiki or a tour group with solo backpacking. But in my opinion and from my observations there are similarities.

For me hostelling/backpacking is not the ultimate "real traveller" experience. For me its hitchhiking/couchsurfing. I feel this method of travelling gets me as close as I can possibly get to the local culture. Maybe for someone like an elderly person who can't walk miles a day and lug around a 15 kilo bag, taking a tour and riding the big bus is as close as they can get. Maybe a family decided to go to Paris instead of Disneyworld this year, and they decided to stay in a hotel rather than a hostel because it was a more economical decision. At least they tried, which is good esp if they're Americans, who are notorious non travellers.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #35
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

CB and Lizz, I totally agree with both posts It could be a very philosophical question about friendship and what we get/give/expect from relationships with people. Thanks for the interesting posts.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #36
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

ive never travelled with anyone and i dont think i want to. im too much of a control freak and thsi comes out even more when im travelling - i like to do things my way and if ive paid to go backpacking, im not going to want to do things i dont want to do, and travelling with others may pressure me into doing stuff im not interested in. im a very confident and social person so meeting people on the road is no problem at all

e.g. i hate planes. fucking hate them. the only way i get on them is with a lot of valium! so my freind was gonna come asia this year but she doesnt like the idea of getting on a bus for 24hours vs. a plane for 3. but theres no way i can a. afford the plane, in monetary, stress or valium, and b. i see the journey as fun as the destinations, and bus journeys in general are a good laugh for me. plus she refused to stay in dorms and theres no way im shelling out an extra 2pound a night, if i go away from the uk i want to immerse myself in social situations, meet loads of new people and do lots of stuff. besides, id sleep rough if i could find a safe place for my bag so the cheaper the rent, the better for me

but people travel for different reasons, and enjoy different levels of luxury - theres no wrong or right way about it, only your way

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #37
girlmeetsworld
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibowj View Post
14- Hope you like Aussies and Kiwis ...because youll meet more of them than anyone.
Hey! I hope you're not implying there is something wrong with Aussies to not like them? Haha now Kiwi's I understand, most of those I've met don't have any sense of humour at all.

But us Aussies, we're just plain awesome I guess in Australian culture, travelling is considered a rite of passage for us, maybe part of that stems from a decent chunk of my generation have no real career prospects and travelling is just another excuse to put off growing up.
girlmeetsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #38
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlmeetsworld View Post
But us Aussies, we're just plain awesome I guess in Australian culture, travelling is considered a rite of passage for us, maybe part of that stems from a decent chunk of my generation have no real career prospects and travelling is just another excuse to put off growing up.
Yes I agree.. aussies are fucking awesome. Actually when I took my first trip, I met this aussie dude who was a mechanic for 20 years, then decided he didn't want to do it anymore and started to travel the world. It was then I realised that other people had lives to live that were not "career" focused... very eye opening. So yeah, aussies are awesome.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #39
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

Smashing list! Here's my thoughts on a few of them:

1 - I have to travel alone... I have a wee pattern that helps with those 14 hour flights etc and like you said meeting people is as easy as could be!

3 - I'm not boasting but I've managed to hook up at every hostel I've been to... granted once it was 2 gay men trying to get into a 3 some with me.. but hey, it still counts... right?! lol

8 - Buses really are killers, I did a 22 hour bus trip when in OZ. Cairns to brisbane, complete killer as I'm 6'2 and I'm sure those bus seats can't handle anyone over 5'9! However, after spending a month in hostels with a bunch of 19 years olds screaming all the time, it provided me with a great rest!

14 - No matter where I've been I always end up in a room full of irish travellers, I just do! Which is wierd because I go backpacking to get away from home

15 - No need for a laptop these days, most phones come with wifi etc so I just use that (I've got a SE w960i, completely owns the iphone!)
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #40
DharmaBum

This is great stuff guys!

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
DharmaBum is offline   Reply With Quote