ONE DAY in Abu Dhabi - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Middle East

Middle East See the Promised Land, the Red Sea, magnificient ruins and mosques, oil-rich metropoles. When you're done with that, go skiing and rock climbing !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Default ONE DAY in Abu Dhabi

I have a one day stopover in May - does anyone have suggestions?
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
travelpunk
Admin

I just read yesterday that Abu Dhabi was the richest city in the world.

Sorry that I can't contribute any first hand info, but they must have some nice attraction there. Anyone? Anyone?
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

I would go to the Abu Dhabi Mall. Hundreds of stores, internet cafes, movie theater, whatever you want to relax and entertain yourself. They have watersports/diving at the big beach resorts. There's more to do in Dubai, if you feel like taking a taxi/bus that way.

I could spend hours just people-watching, the UAE is like the New York of the middle east!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post
I just read yesterday that Abu Dhabi was the richest city in the world.
Haha, so you're saying I should panhandle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in texas View Post
I would go to the Abu Dhabi Mall. Hundreds of stores, internet cafes, movie theater, whatever you want to relax and entertain yourself. They have watersports/diving at the big beach resorts. There's more to do in Dubai, if you feel like taking a taxi/bus that way.
I *definitely* need to shop while I'm there. Good tip! Any Arabian-chic looking photo opportunities? (Btw, when I told my dad that I had to get a new passport because of Israel stamps, his response was, "The UAE?! Isn't that a shopping mall??!" I guess to imply that they are not in the correct position to be passing serious political judgment.)

Quote:
I could spend hours just people-watching, the UAE is like the New York of the middle east!
Jon Stewart said just last night that it's "what happens if Las Vegas and Saudi Arabia have a baby."
Old 03-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
space virgin
Yoda

^ Yeah, when 80% of the population is made up of filthy rich Western expats, I guess that's bound to happen. If I had to venture a guess I'd say the shopping will be mostly catering to Western tastes, and if you're looking for anything indigenous you'll have to dig for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
Jon Stewart said just last night that it's "what happens if Las Vegas and Saudi Arabia have a baby."
That is hilarious, and absolutely right! Abu Dhabi is a little more conservative than Dubai because it has fewer expats and tourists than Dubai, but they are quickly adapting too.

As far as photo-ops go, keep in mind nearly everything you'll see is recently built and ultra-modern. They do have some beautiful, incredibly ornate mosques you might enjoy seeing. I've heard that photographing them is considered bad form, so be discreet if you do.

I don't think your Israel stamps would be a problem. I know it's a big problem in Syria and Lebanon especially, but I haven't heard of the UAE taking issue. Check with the embassy to be sure.
Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Twoguns
Members

I just came through dubai a couple of weeks ago, the place is amazing, great bar inside the Dubai Grand hotel, taking pictures of the mosques is a really bad thing there, I wouldnt let a local see you. If you go to the mall with the ski slope inside of it, you will see more tourist than anything and you better bring some big bucks, its pretty expensive. dubai is amazing, and you deff gotta hit the beach, you will see some amazing sights there for sure...
Twoguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Quote:
They do have some beautiful, incredibly ornate mosques you might enjoy seeing. I've heard that photographing them is considered bad form, so be discreet if you do.
Yeah, I know mosques in the gulf are different than other Muslim countries, in that they completely restrict non-Muslims from visiting all mosques, so I'll watch my ass. I "pass" pretty well, so it will be easier for me to be discreet!

Quote:
I don't think your Israel stamps would be a problem. I know it's a big problem in Syria and Lebanon especially, but I haven't heard of the UAE taking issue. Check with the embassy to be sure.
Oh, man, I DID!! I called the consulate and said that "a friend" might be going to the UAE and had Israeli stamps in "their" passport - "is that going to be a problem?" Guy didn't even skip a beat and said, "yeah, you're going to have to get a new passport." I knew Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Algeria, I suspected Yemen and DEF Saudi, but never the UAE!! I made the consulate call *after* I found info online that said I was screwed, too, just to be absolutely certain. It's actually slightly better, because I know SE Asia restricts Israeli travel, so it's probably more prudent to have a fresh pass for the rest of my trip. But honestly, I got the Israeli stamp because I was making a modest political statement and would have saved the UAE for later if I had done my research.

Would you believe that I got my master's degree in Foreign Policy and the Middle East?? It's ok because this is my mom's new "taking me down a peg" story, and, well, it's an adventure. Sigh.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
"yeah, you're going to have to get a new passport."
Wow, that's surprising to me too. With all the international business that goes through Dubai, that's got to change sooner or later. I know Jordan and Egypt have decent relations with Israel, but they may be the only ones.

I'm sure you know all about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through your studies, but if you get to know people there you see it first hand. Even in Jordan, which has diplomatic relations with Israel, hatred for that country seems to be deeply ingrained in the culture and community. I have Palestinian friends there, and I understand their side of the of the story, but there's blame to be found on both sides. I think Jordan's King Abdullah is right-- it's the fundamental reason for conflict in the region, and peace is never going to be possible until both sides come back to the table. Still, Palestine has to compromise more. To me, it would be like indigenous Americans trying to reclaim the western US. It may have been rightfully their land, history is full of injustice, but they're not going to get it back now! We have to be realistic.

Sorry to get things off topic... once I start talking politics or foreign policy it's hard for me to shut up.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #10
raoulduke
Certified Wise

I've got a 4 day stopover in Dubai on my way to Europe. Among other things I'll be checking out the 'Wild Wadi' waterpark. I've heard it's pretty sweet.

Everything is so big in Dubai you could easily spend a day just exploring half of one attraction.

What day are you there just out of curiosity?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Quote:
I'm sure you know all about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through your studies, but if you get to know people there you see it first hand. Even in Jordan, which has diplomatic relations with Israel, hatred for that country seems to be deeply ingrained in the culture and community.
And what's AWESOME (not like, gnarly, but rather ridiculous and crazy) is the intra-Arab struggles. Palestinians aren't huge fans of Jordanians. And Jordanians are like WTF when Palestinians claim to be from Jordan. And the non-Palestinian, non-Israeli Arabs who live in Israel get kicked out by their landlords to make way for Israeli settlers, Palestinians and politically pro-Palestinian Arabs get all incensed and yet refuse to take a prophylactic stance to either protect or support the totally disenfranchised Arabs. And then my Israeli friends (who are Sephardic and Iranian/Moroccan) freaked OUT when I told them I was dating an Arab. "How could you? What?! He PRAYS at your apartment - and you LET him!?" So it goes even beyond the dozen different types of Arab in the disputed region.

Obv I cannot shut up when it comes to this either. But this - - is how I feel about the subject. Especially when it affects my traveling. Hmm, maybe *this* is why the political thread forum is OFF T-Punk!

Raoulduke - I'm NOT going on a Friday <i>alhamdillullah</>. My one day there is a Thursday, and I'm flying out 2am Friday morning.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:30 AM   #12
raoulduke
Certified Wise

Sorry, I meant what date.

I'm going in May too! 46 days to go, can't wait.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke View Post
Sorry, I meant what date.

I'm going in May too! 46 days to go, can't wait.
Haha, thought you were giving me a friendly "hope you're not trying to have fun on a Friday" warning!

I'll be there May 17th from 8am to 2am the 18th.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #14
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Dubai is amazing! Lots and lots of malls! The mall of the Emirates is the best, took me ages to walk the whole thing. Taxis are really nice and not too expensive. Dont be frightened, you will get used to the driving! Its kinda like a little rollercoaster ride, very fun!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

See if you can line up one of those 4WD desert safaris. I took one on my last day in Dubai. It was fun. Either that, or read a guidebook on it and see if there's any sights you want to see. Put together a little "highlights of the city" tour for yourself...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #16
AlexHertz
Members

Post Middle East Conflict

What do you think of Obadiah Shoher's views on the Middle East conflict? One can argue, of course, that Shoher is ultra-right, but his followers are far from being a marginal group. Also, he rejects Jewish moralistic reasoning - that's alone is highly unusual for the Israeli right. And he is very influential here in Israel. So what do you think?
AlexHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #17
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I don't know but welcome to the boards

--joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Hey Alex, welcome. I think there's a hearty discussion on the subject here:

http://travelpunk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=15234&highlight=israel

And I'm assuming you're Israeli or living there? I'm sure the boards would appreciate some "on the ground" input.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
Old 12-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

Now I want to go there after my Israel trip. The Middle East is interesting.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #20
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I recommend it. Lots of cultural overload too. Plus, it gives you a perspective on a lot of different things that most people in our position can only speculate about.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico