New U.S. Passport Regulations - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Formalities

Travel Formalities #@&##@ ! Paperwork, paperwork ! Help me out !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #21
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

well you know the american government hard at work "protecting" our "freedom"
Old 04-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #22
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

This almost the same artical but it does say on ething that I thought was interesting.

Quote:
Stricter border ID rules sought
Bush administration may require passports for Americans arriving from Mexico, Canada.

Associated Press
April 6, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Americans traveling to Canada and Mexico would need passports to come home to the United States under guidelines proposed Tuesday in the latest effort to deter terrorists from entering the country.

The new rules, which would be phased in by 2008, apply to Americans traveling from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Panama. They also apply to citizens from those countries who want to enter the United States.

The regulations mark a dramatic shift from a policy that allows Americans to return home from neighboring countries without a passport. They also raise the potential of hampering tourism and commercial traffic with the United States' two immediate neighbors.

An estimated 60 million Americans -- about 20 percent of the national population -- have passports.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said U.S. officials have been working with their international counterparts "for some time" to shore up security measures without crimping the flow of commerce. The new rules were called for in intelligence legislation Congress passed last year.

"There's a very strong awareness that these are tremendous commercial borders and that you don't want to hinder the commercial activity," Rice said. "But at the same time, you've got to have some controls that help you prevent people who are trying to come in and hurt us."

She added: "It's part of the recognition that in 2001, when Sept. 11 happened -- and frankly before that, when you think about the millennium plot in 1999 -- these were borders that I think no one could call secure."

Canada was deeply embarrassed by the millennium terrorist plot, when U.S. customs caught a man with explosives trying to enter Washington state from Canada in December 1999.

Canadian officials said they believed current border-crossing programs with the United States would ease any delays or other problems caused by the new regulations. Canada is the United States' largest trading partner, with $1.2 billion worth of goods crossing the border every day.

Nearly 16 million Canadians entered the United States last year, generating an estimated $7.9 billion in travel-related revenues, according to the Travel Industry Association in Washington.

A spokesman for the Mexican Embassy in Washington said the regulations "won't affect the tourism flow or people who trade and do business between the three countries in North America."

Currently, Americans generally need to show a driver's license or other government-issued photo identification to cross the border from Canada.

Customs officials usually require more proof from Americans returning from the other countries affected by the new rules, including both government-issued photo IDs plus proof of citizenship like a birth certificate.

Quote:
The new rules, which would be phased in by 2008, apply to Americans traveling from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Panama. They also apply to citizens from those countries who want to enter the United States.
so in two and a half years is when we have to worry about it. Yes it's coming but we don't have to rush out and buy up all the bread and milk. (the storm isn't here yet)

just thought that was interesting

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #23
TP Ghost

i'm so embarrised I screwed up the quote thing and I even know how to use it

Quote:
Woops

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
Old 04-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #24
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
They couldnt figure it out. I took them to walgreens to get photos.
I doubt many people realize this but you can just take your passport photo yourself. You just need a puter, camera and printer. Go to the US dept of something blah blah site and it has all the passport information (just type "passport information" into yahoo and its like the first site that pops up). It gives you sizing, dpi, quality, measurements, etc. Pretty easy. And cheaper than paying some a-hole to take a horrible low quality picture.

For the record - my father and mother in law have their passports with their own photos and my hubby's is in the mail.

What can I say - I'm freakin genius.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:04 AM   #25
TP Ghost

Yes, My father took my photo for my passport. all the info is at travel.state.gov (US ONLY)

-My Dad

-Anthony Bourdain

-Bill Bryson

-Me
Old 04-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #26
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Apr 7 2005, 10:53 PM
I doubt many people realize this but you can just take your passport photo yourself.
Yup, I took mine myself with my dig cam and uploaded it to the website of our local grocery store (HEB), where I picked up the print a few days later.

Otherwise, if you get yours taken at the office or some other place, they will charge you a few bones! So, I do suggest you DIY on this. Now, you may have to calculate what size to crop your digital pic vs the photo size you get printed in order to meet the size req for the passport pic - but hey, that's what Jr. High math class was for, right?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote