Tactics for saving $ on food and drink? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Members

site-seeing is definitely essential, but I am the type of traveler who mainly journeys to foreign lands to experience how other cultures eat, drink, and hang out. I have a feeling that a large chuck of my bugdet is going to go towards food and drink. Therefore, I want to know some ways to save some money in regards to this aspect of travelling.

anybody got good tips?

Here's a q: I know here in the U.S., when you buy a whiskey on the rocks, it will cost the same amount as a whiskey with a mixer. Is this typically true in Europe, or will they charge me more for a straight booze drink on ice?

I am probably going to bring a hip flask, which will definitely help. Do they sell things like twelve packs of beer in europe (i cant remember seeing any)? How much will a cheap-but-good meal run me in countries like spain, italy and france? I remember when I was in barcelona I went to that big outdoor market where they have little counters set up where you can buy a beer and freshly prepared tapas (very quality but not outrageously priced): is there anything like that in other countries that you guys can suggest?
dsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

heh welcome to the boards!!!

a mixer can cost anything from 30pence up to a pound extra on top of your spirit. Be careful you dont get caught by a bouncer with your hipflask they may take it off you

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Everywhere I've been in Europe so far, the cocktails have been charged as shot + mixer, which comes out to be pretty damn expensive. There were a few places in Spain, though, where the mixers were free so long as they weren't juices.

I had no trouble getting a hip flask into many places, as you're FAR less likely to run into the patdown in other countries as you are in the US, but get a cheap one because, as always, there's a risk of losing it.

Cheap, good local meals can be found anywhere you go, just stay away from touristy areas and any place that advertises "Menus in English"

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

When I was in Italy a few places charged extra if you wanted to sit outside, so heads up for that. They may not tell you either, so make sure you ask.
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

when you go to a cafe in Italy stand at the bar as soon as you sit at a table the price goes up.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Depends on where you're travelling, too. (Inserts her standard eastern europe plug here) In eastern Europe, food and drink are a lot cheaper (if you avoid the tourist places, and in many cases superb. One of our tricks is to order a bunch of appetizers/tapas to share around, and skip an entree. Get to try lots of different things, and there's still room for dessert...which one cannot live without.

But most anywhere in Europe, mixed drinks will send your bill higher than anything, beer is cheapest, and a local wine shouldn't set you back too far.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Carrying you own booze is for sure the cheaper way to go. Bars and Clubs will chage you made prices when ur there. Drink before you go and nurse the drinks you buy there.

As for food, If you go to a large hotel, who have buffet breakfasts, you should be able to get a meal for 8P or 12E. Load up ur bag with non parishable food that can last you a couple of days. And take some food for that day. I was able to get 3 days worth of food from one buffet. Just dont get caught, they frown on this practice.

Avaoid fast food joints, and "convience" stores, you will just not get your moneys worth. SUpermarkets are always ur best bet. The prices are better, and most often have daily specials that you can beifit from.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

As was said, eating outside and sometimes even sitting to eat at the restaurant costs extra. In Barcelona I was jonesing for good Sangria and we talked to a host and they told us to sit inside becaus they marked it up about 40% otherwise. Some places will have menus for here and to go. It's easy enough to just sit in a park and eat.

I know most places in Germany charge as much for water as they do for beer/soda, so you might as well go with beer! In most places in France and Spain you could get a cairaff (sp?) of water for free so if you want to save a couple Euros, drink the water.

If you're looking for stuff to cook/bring with you, as was said, grocery stores! The bigger the better. In Spain, we got cans of beer for 17c. You can pretty much buy any denomination of beer, you're not stuck with 1, 6, 12, 24, etc. That seemed pretty universal. Also, wine can be VERY cheap (1 Euro).

Even in touristy areas, you can eat cheap. Some places get competetive, otherwise, go off on a side street. In Temple Bar in Dublin, they had a deal where you'd get your choice of appetizer, your choice of pizza (huge for one person!) and a glass of wine for 8 euro and it was good.

Menu shop - you may walk more but prices vary so greatly depending on the restaurant.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #9

Default In Italy.

Refuse the bread if you can, especially in Tuscany where it sucks anyways. But they typically put in 2-3 Euro charge for bread. In Rome(as far as I know), there are sometimes street side drink vendors, like the mojito man of Piazza Navona and there is a peachy way to save on tip and seating costs. ALSO some bars have antipasti out for general bar goers so you can if you get there at the proper time, get a free meal with your relatively overpriced cocktails. ALWAYS eat off of the main square, just a few turns and prices drop drastically.

If in Florence and wishing to experience the beauty of chianina beef(so effing good) make sure you order it to share with another person. It's sold by the vertebrae and most restaurateurs will look to take advantage of people that don't know this. Giving them a 40 euro slab of beef meant for two to three people.

Last but not least, make friends with short term study abroad students (winter/summer). Get them to take you back to their hotel for the dinner they paid for with tuition. It's likely to suck, but it's free.
gaipanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaipanh View Post
Refuse the bread if you can, especially in Tuscany where it sucks anyways. But they typically put in 2-3 Euro charge for bread. In Rome(as far as I know), there are sometimes street side drink vendors, like the mojito man of Piazza Navona and there is a peachy way to save on tip and seating costs. ALSO some bars have antipasti out for general bar goers so you can if you get there at the proper time, get a free meal with your relatively overpriced cocktails. ALWAYS eat off of the main square, just a few turns and prices drop drastically.

If in Florence and wishing to experience the beauty of chianina beef(so effing good) make sure you order it to share with another person. It's sold by the vertebrae and most restaurateurs will look to take advantage of people that don't know this. Giving them a 40 euro slab of beef meant for two to three people.

Last but not least, make friends with short term study abroad students (winter/summer). Get them to take you back to their hotel for the dinner they paid for with tuition. It's likely to suck, but it's free.

Thanks for the tips! Especially the one with the students!

I agree, stay off of the main square in Rome. I paid like 9 euro for a cafe and tea in front of the Pantheon in Rome. Fuggedaboutit...
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

In Ireland you get charged for everything. The shot and the mixer unless you go to smaller pubs where they have a bottle of red or white lemonade that you can use and they won't charge you for that. Drinking in Irish pubs is stupidly expensive and we don't have happy hours. Our government has tried to clamp down on boozing in a big way over the last few years. On the other hand buying drink in supermarkets can be very cheap. Needless to say the traditional Irish pub is slowly dieing out.

In Spain the they give you huge measures on spirits, you can even ask for extra without getting charged more. It's the bottles of mixers that will cost you. A little pub sized bottle of coke can cost you almost as much as the drink but if they have those dispenser things it can be allot cheaper or free.

In Eastern Europe everything is cheap, I remember sitting in a pub in Cesky Krumlov drinking shots (no idea what it was) for around 15cent (euro) a go. You just have to be careful in some traditional pubs because they'll keep bringing you beer (without asking) until you tell them to stop or fall off your chair.

If you can find out where the collage students hang out you'll get all kinds of lunch deals on food, you may not have much of a choice in what you get but it's usually very cheap.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTurk View Post
I remember sitting in a pub in Cesky Krumlov drinking shots (no idea what it was) for around 15cent (euro) a go. You just have to be careful in some traditional pubs because they'll keep bringing you beer (without asking) until you tell them to stop or fall off your chair.
My kind of place. I really need to get to the Czech Republic soon.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #13

I can't believe there's places that charge extra to sit outside; I've never heard of that before!

I hope I never come across that, I wouldn't be happy about it - it's like a tax on the sunshine!
louise92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

In Italy, they frequently have a charge to sit down. It is why you see many standing eating then leaving.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #15
Dig
TPunk Moderator

The same is true in Spain. That is why you see people standing at the tapas bars. Its all about the little tricks.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Admin

Dude, don't even go to Plaza Mayor in Madrid and sit in the terrace. The prices are rrriiiiidiiiiiicuuuulous.

I was there about a month ago and we had 4 drinks and 2 plates of huevos rotos (potatoes with eggs/ham/green peppers) and the bill was like 54 euros! Fuggedaboutit...

That would have been less than half the price anywhere else in the city...
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #17
Dig
TPunk Moderator

On a side note: Tony my wife has me make her huevos rotos con hamon all the time! Almendro 13 style!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Care to post your receta for those of us who have joined the Almendro 13 club

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post
On a side note: Tony my wife has me make her huevos rotos con hamon all the time! Almendro 13 style!

Hahaha!!! Niiiiice....Dude, can ya blame her?! Once you eat it, it just becomes part of your soul, baby...