Dealing with Heat - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Artist of Life

Default Dealing with Heat

Hey tpunks... I'm heading to China in August, and I am anticipating it to be DAMN hot. Like... so hot, it'll be ridiculous.

Anyway last time I was exposed to extreme heat was in the Middle East, and I broke out in nasty heat rashes, but other than that nothing.

Here are some tips I found to combat extreme heat, to those of you who are going to humid and ridiculously hot places.

http://www.nchsi.org/topicsinhealth9.asp

How to Deal with Extreme Heat

We hope that the hot, humid days of the last few weeks have passed but one never knows when living in the Northeast Kingdom, what weather will greet us each day. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) suggests some simple tips that can prevent both heat exhaustion and heat stroke, both potentially serious conditions resulting from overexposure to extreme heat. It is important to keep an eye on your own families and also on the elder population who may not know how to cope with the extreme heat.
What happens when we are exposed to extreme heat?
Normally our bodies cool down by sweating. With high temperatures and high humidity, sweat will not evaporate as quickly and the body will start to overheat. High body temperatures may damage the brain and other vital organs.
Who is at greatest risk for heat- related illness?
Those at greatest risk for heat-related illness include infants and children up to four years of age, people 65 years of age and older, people who are overweight, and people who are ill or on certain medications.
What is heat stroke?
Heat stroke is a serious form of heat-related illness. The body is unable to control its temperature and the temperature rapidly rises, the sweating mechanism fails, and the body in unable to cool down. The body temperature may rise as high as 106° F or higher within a 10-15 minute period. Heat stroke can cause death or permanent disability if emergency treatment is not quickly provided.
What are the warning signs of heat stroke?
  • Extremely high body temperature (above 103°F)
  • Red, hot, and dry skin (no sweating)
  • Rapid, strong pulse
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Confusion
  • Unconsciousness
What to do if you see someone with heat stroke symptoms?
If you do see anyone with these signs, it may be a life-threatening situation. Have someone call for medical assistance while you try to cool down the person.
  • Move the person to a shady area
  • Cool the person quickly, however you can. For example, immerse the person in a cool tub of water; place the person in a cool shower; spray the person with a cool hose; sponge the person with a cool sponge; if the humidity is low, wrap the person in a cool wet sheet and fan him/her vigorously.
  • Monitor body temperature and continue cooling efforts until the body temperature drops to 101-102°F.
  • If emergency medical personnel are delayed, call the hospital emergency room for further instructions.
    Get medical assistance as soon as possible.
What is heat exhaustion?
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and inadequate replacement of fluids. The elderly, those with high blood pressure and those working or exercising in a hot environment are most prone to heat exhaustion.
What are the warning signs of heat exhaustion?
  • Heavy sweating
  • Paleness
  • Muscle cramps
  • Tiredness
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fainting
The skin may be cool and moist. The pulse rate will be fast and weak, and the breathing will be fast and shallow. If left untreated, heat exhaustion may progress into heat stroke. Seek medical attention if symptoms worsen or last longer than one hour.
How to cool the body during heat exhaustion?
  • Drink cool, non-alcoholic beverages
  • Take a cool shower, bath or sponge bath
  • Seek an air-conditioned environment
  • Wear lightweight clothing
General tips for hot weather:
  • Drink more fluids (non-alcoholic). As a general rule of thumb, drink before you are thirsty. If you must be outdoors working or exercising, drink two to four glasses of cool fluids every hour. A sports drink can replace the salt and minerals you lose in sweat. If you are on a low salt diet, talk with your doctor before drinking a sports beverage. If your doctor has restricted your fluid intake, ask how much you should drink during the hot weather.
  • Do not drink fluids that contain caffeine or large amounts of sugar. These actually cause you to lose more body fluid.
  • Wear lightweight clothing, light colored, loose-fitting clothing
  • Electric fans do provide comfort but will not prevent heat-related illness. Move to a cooler environment, take a cool shower or bath.
  • Stay indoors, if at all possible. If you do not have air-conditioning, seek out a library or shopping mall that will give you a few hours away from the heat.
  • NEVER leave anyone, human or animal in a closed, parked vehicle.
  • Visit adults at risk a few times a day and closely watch them for signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Infants and children also need close watching, especially if they are outside running around in the sun.
  • Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses and by putting on sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher (the most effective products say “broad spectrum”) or “UVA/UVB protection” on their labels).
Stay cool and soak up these wonderful summer days as they fly by too quickly. We know what follows…..and it’s not heat!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
french touch

Good tips, thanks for sharing !

By the way, will you be in China during the Olympics ?

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
call me Condi!

I *just* read this article Tuesday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/03/he...se&oref=slogin

I've been running in 90 degree+ garbage for work and it's devastating. I also got heat sick (vomiting galore!) after just walking around a few weeks ago, so this is serious! Even somewhere muggy but fairly moderate like DC.

Take care of yourselves, Tpunks!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Im liable to get heat stroke lying in my damn bed at night this week
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Here in Phoenix Arizona it's never below 100F during the summer and most often above 110F during the day. I've found the best thing to do is hide in A/C and pray for an opportunity to move
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

The advantage to having utilities paid, is that you can run the A/C 24/7. As I sit here, its about 69 degrees in the house. Approaching upper 80s soon enough.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Arrow

I spent all of August last year in Beijing. It wasn't that hot. I certainly wouldn't classify it as "extreme." Plenty of hotter places in the Southern US...

Although it can get to you if you are walking around for several hours in the afternoon sun. But you can always use a small umbrella as a parasol for some shade if that happens.

Now, August in Hong Kong might be a bit sweatier...:D
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoum View Post
Good tips, thanks for sharing !

By the way, will you be in China during the Olympics ?
Technically yes... although I'm not going to any of the events. The only thing I enjoy about the Olympics is the parties.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Members

Thank you for sharing. Also, do you guys know if those neck coolers from Sharper Image actually work? They look cool.. but I hope they're more than that.
clanshrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Artist of Life

The best way to get rid of a heat rash is to take a few icecubes and press it over the affected area... this worked wonders in cuba.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #11

Great advice, thanks. I've had what I guess was 'heat exhaustion' once (though I was calling it sun stroke - is this another different thing again?) and it was not pleasant...
louise92 is offline   Reply With Quote