cycling - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk

Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk They don't call it the "Great Outdoors" for nothing - trail talk, camping tips, mountaineering, etc.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #21
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

you are so full of excuses! Just do it already!

Seriously though when I started riding in high school, the road I had to ride was 2 miles of the biggest hills in the region. The first month sucked, the second month sucked less and the third month the hills didn't even phase me. That first month though had a lot of walking the bike until I built enough muscle to get over them, slow at first and like I said by the end of the second month I was rocking them.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

You come try riding the mean streets of Birmingham, Jake!! It ain't pretty! I'd get knocked off my bike by all the bloody buses!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #23
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

yeah, I've done quite a bit of riding around the Rhine region in Germany, Luxembourg, etc. I did a ride from Maastricht, Holland down to Murcia, France, this last May/June. I'm looking forward to riding again here in the States, the riding culture here isn't quite the same though. I loved how I could set off by myself in Europe and find other riders to draft with.

I'm moving to Chico, California next week. The weather's good, and there's a lot of cyclists there, so I'm hoping something good will come out of this. But I haven't been on a bike since Murcia so its gonna be a rough start.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #24
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren313 View Post
You come try riding the mean streets of Birmingham, Jake!! It ain't pretty! I'd get knocked off my bike by all the bloody buses!
nah, you will be ok if you ride like you have a little sense, remember no one wants to hit you.

but on the same note if you ride like everyone is out to kill you you last a little longer.

but just dont ride like these guys
http://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg

there are books and guides in the library on defensive riding techniques like how to watch drivers and predict their actions. plus you could always get one of those orange safety vest

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #25
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

it lives!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #26
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

going ultra light-weight and skipping the tires?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #27
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

it is an odd rim size and the tires had to be special ordered i didnt get them till last night. before the picture was taken.

but i did skip the brakes

Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #28
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

yeah, who really uses brakes anyways?

I'm excited, I just got my bike back from the shop a couple minutes ago with a new wheel set. I think my old wheels were too light-weight, meant for racing, not the abuse I put it through on my cycling trip in Europe, and the rear rim was cracking. Kinda scary, I didn't realize it until I got home, but that could have been nasty if it completely gave out on the ride.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #29
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

new wheels are always fun.

my road bike got new wheels a bit back because my other set where starting to come apart in several places. I picked up a set of racing wheels on the cheap, and they are lighter and stiffer than my old set. and loads faster. a bit less comfortable.

I hope you have a great time on your bike man

on an odd note, the rear wheel on my fixie has more spokes than both wheels on my road bike

Old 11-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

got up this morning rode 50 miles with the hardcore group, got my ass kicked. strong winds the whole way watched a guy get blown off the road. wet, mid 40's. but man i had a good time.

and if anyone ask this is what i want for christmas

Old 04-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #31
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

so hows the cycling going then people? lauren you got on your bike yet

my cyclings been going wicked, im getting ready for a london-brighton bike ride, its not too far, about 70 miles but for an ex obese asthmatic its awesome. ive not been training a lot the last few weeks as have had uni work and proper crap weather, but it seems to be clearning now. im down the gym 4-5 days a week, doing weights and 30mins on runnning machine uphill and sometimes some rowing if i have time.

bike wise, im gonna start training by cylcing one train station further across london each time from my uni house (pretty much in buckinghamshire) to my mums house (in essex) its a pretty substantial ride - about 40 miles in total right through london, but its pretty crap ride too cos of the traffic. but if i can handle stopping and starting and having asthma fits behind buses then cycling to brighton on a nice open road will be a breeze.

my bro has aquired a racing bike - hes more of a mountain bike fan so is letting me use the race bike - i ve always wanted to play on one of these, and im telling you, riding up massive hills and off road down canal toepaths isnt so good for my lovely fold up bike. i do get some funny looks - but my bike is fine so far, no complaints. not ever broken down!

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Good going buzzingtalk!

I've been going at it pretty hard . . . probably about 100 miles a week, which is actually pretty lazy for race training, but, oh well. Unofficial race tonight, the weekly "Fast 50," 50km, pretty intense road race. A couple big races down in the Bay Area coming up in the next few weeks.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #33
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

ummm
got hired at a bike shop did my first day of work today
been learning how to unicycle, thats been fun.

my mileage has gone way down. but i have been riding waay harder.
I currently have a torn muscle in my left thigh to.
I feel like crap because I have been riding really hard and sprinting everyday and havent taken a recovery day in weeks.

there is a race coming up on the 12th, i may have to miss due to being in no condition to ride competitively. I dont think one rest day will do it.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #34
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

When I head back to Michigan I will be biking to work everyday (8.5mi each eay), and it will be my main mode of transportation. I plan on making the trip to my dads (27miles) at some point in the summer. I'm hoping to catch some sort of bike tour, not really looking to race, just get good exercise, maybe a hundred mile in state ride.

Anyone ever look at those longer bike tours? Even the cross country ones?

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #35
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

http://stupidhurts.org/tour-de-stupidity/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijuki View Post
When I head back to Michigan I will be biking to work everyday (8.5mi each eay), and it will be my main mode of transportation. I plan on making the trip to my dads (27miles) at some point in the summer. I'm hoping to catch some sort of bike tour, not really looking to race, just get good exercise, maybe a hundred mile in state ride.

Anyone ever look at those longer bike tours? Even the cross country ones?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #36
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, I did it freestyle through Europe for about a month last summer, was an incredible trip. Just the bare minimum, small cycling backpack, one change of clothes and the jersey I had on, some soap, tiny tent, sleeping bag.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #37
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I'm looking to do a bike tour through Michigan before the winter hits. Most of them are 150-300 miles. So it shouldn't be too terrible.

Eventually I would like to go much farther. I was looking at some of the organized tours. There is one that goes from San Francisco to New Hampshire. It's like 56 days, but they feed you and set you up in hotels and such. It's like $6400.

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

Sijuki@gmail.com
Old 04-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #38
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

wow! sounds amazing. one thing i am considering for next spring is the london-amsterdam - its expensive to get a place but apparently its a good ride to do on your own and is pretty easy and pain free if you can navigate the quieter roads through villages. something im working towards in the long run is lands end to john o groats - furtest pointsd apart in the UK. is an epic journey, would be amazing if i did do it and a testament to my health, but its something to work towards.

where do you go in europe? how did you plan it? id love to do some partsof europe, would be amazing! how did you arrange it?

and c0urt, sounds like you do need a good break. ive not been around for a while and the last time i was on you were in a bad way so its good to hear your back on your bike at least

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #39
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

I agree, I think Europe would be awesome to bike through also. Perhaps along the Mediterranean.

Best of luck on that UK bike trip. That would be an epic journey to say the least.

Sijuki@gmail.com
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #40
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

I do, I am taking today off, but there is an alleycat race on saturday night
havent decided if i am riding the fixed gear or the road bike yet. right now I am leaning towards the road bike and doing the long course, but i may ride the fixed gear and do the short course.

here are the check points
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...2&source=embed