Advice on flights and tickets - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > 'Round The World Travel

'Round The World Travel Feel like conquering the world? Give us the run down, your game plan, the strategy...

Spiff is on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Advice on flights and tickets

Hi all

I am currently in the very early stages of planning my next trip, i am currently in Rome but will probably go back to England for a few weeks before i set off for this

I am looking at a baisic route of this:

September - Fly from England to Kuala Lumpa
backpack up Malaysia and into Thailand,
Travel through Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam then head back to Bangkok
November (ish) - Fly to Sydney (or anywhere in Australia) travel Australia for a bit (i guess i might need flights for some of this) before going to Melbourne and finding a job

This bit is still very early planning. stay in Australia for 6-12 months (need to look at visas) before flying either

Home (England)
or
Brazil, then travel south America (this is a long way off and will most likely be late 2009 so its not to important right now)

I also may do the Thailand leg the other way round, flying into BK and out of KL

Now i think i can do this in 3 flights or 3 routes(UK - KL, BK - AUS, AUS - UK or SA) so my real question is:

Should i look at a RTW ticket, will it save me much money?
Should i buy return tickets? i was looking at just buying tickets one way, but would this give me issues with visas and things?
I have no real time frame for leaving, how easy is it to book a flight and then adjust it later?
Skoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Just a quick answer, as long as you have tickets showing that you're leaving the destination regardless of if its a return home or to a new place. You'll be fine.

I would price out the RTW ticket just to see. Take a couple of hours and check each flight individually and give STA Travel a call(depending on how old you are). It's all about research.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Hey Skoey,

Like SGRHewitt said, your going to have to do some shopping around to find what's best for you. I bought a RTW ticket over a year ago and I pretty much had to price out dozens of itineraries with several different alliances. Keep in mind with a lot of the RTW tickets you can only go through certain cities because you have to use airlines that are part of they're alliance. With that in mind you destination cities are large international airports so you shouldn't have a problem there.

I ended up settiling with the Alliance group which is one of the biggest alliances of airlines and was able to get a RTW ticket including 7 flights for around $4500 CDN. My dates were set though which lowers the price by a large margin. What I found was the more flexible you are in your dates the more expensive it was. Once I locked down some dates and booked well in advance I was able to get a great deal. It's a just a trade off. I also left a ton of room for land travel by basically only using flight's over seas or for massive land areas.;

So just go over as many different options as you can. If you do choose to also hit S.A. though your price is going to take a big jump.

I can give you more info on my itinerary if you need. Hope this helps.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

There is a problem here, Most round the world tickets are only good for one year. So you talking abou spending damn near a year in Oz alone, plus backpackin through S.E.A. thats gonna be a couple months for sure ! Personally I would buy tickets as you go, pick up one ways and just rock it as you feel. The thing I dont like about RTW tickets is that they are so restraining, you gotta have it all set up before you go. Man on a trip that long you never know you might meet up with a hot pair of swedish chicks who want you to come to Fiji with them hell yeah your gonna go do it. So you just go out and buy a ticket and rock it!!! Also when your gone that long its gonna give you a sweet oportunity to work so get into the grind pull your nine to five and make the bucks to buy the flights. Thats the way I would go about it personally and then if it happens to you what happens to so many travellers they wanna go home around 8-12 motnhs into it then your not out all these extra flights or whatev. Thats just my 2 cents
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

I would get a good overview of the the around the world airline tickets, this should allow you to shortlist the tickets that are suited your budget and how well they match your proposed itinerary. That would be a good starting point to shortlist the ones you are interested in. Therafter would seek the advice from travel operators such as STA travel and the likes.
haraamzadaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Awesome link haram ^^^