Kabul Hostel - Barcelona - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips Safety, services and general questions. Is there a camp ground in...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Members

Default Kabul Hostel - Barcelona

So I'm thinking about staying there when I backpack to Barcelona. I'm traveling solo and I'm looking to have a really good time socially and to enjoy the nightlife of Barcelona. I heard the Kabul hostel is a crazy rowdy time. But, I also heard that it can be pretty dirty, smelly, and, here's the big thing for me- communal showers. I personally have never felt comfortable taking a shower if I don't have a curtain or something for my privacy. So, if any of you have stayed there, could you answer some of my questions?? Thanks, and believe me, this site has been a major inspiration for me and has pushed me to finally just say screw it and go and backpack!
HBKfanFirenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Welcome to the boards!

I heard the same thing about Kabul, but we stayed elsewhere in Barcelona, cos when I went to Spain it was with my hs Spanish class.

Anyway regarding the party hostels, that's often the tradeoff... if a hostel is going to be jam packed with people, it's naturally going to be harder for the staff to keep clean. You just gotta decide what's more important. Though in Spain it's not too difficult to meet people! When are you going?

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

I stayed there for four days last summer. I was in a 6 bed room for three and a 12 or 14 bed room for 1? Anyway, my 6 bed room was pretty clean overall. The beds were clean which is the biggest thing, and they do have big lockers by each bed for your bags. The last night i got moved to a big room which was much less clean but that much more fun. Good people but it was on the top floor and it didn't see much maintenance.

The showers were not exactly communal. Each shower was pretty much a cubby that you walked into. A person would really have to peek in to see anything. No curtains sure, but not much to worry about. No one wanted to see my dirty ass anyway Overall the restrooms were pretty clean when i was there.

Kabul is a good place to meet people. Common area is pretty cool and there is free food to be had. Location is good on Ramblas although a pretty good walk to the beach. We didn't mind. They have a free Flamenco show next door most nights which is not the best but um....its free. If you do decide on this place, it is tucked in the corner of a plaza off Las Ramblas. Follow the directions carefully. Also, check in and out can be a pain in the ass a lot of the day so be prepared. This place is popular and will fill up fast. It can be dirty and smelly but i really didn't run into a whole lot of that. Just my luck i guess. Enjoy Barcelona, i did.

I don't know if this is your first trip staying in hostels. It was mine last summer. In my experience, hostels have a way of breaking down some privacy issues. You'll be walking around naked in no time!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I've hung out at Kabul a couple of times - definitely a great place if you want to meet people and get rowdy, but yeah, it can be on the grotty side. But hell, it's a place to shower, maybe eat, and (possibly) get some sleep.

Personally, I really dig Home Guesthouse, even though it's out in the suburbs (about 15 min. by Metro to the city centre) but I hear the hostel offerings actually in the city are getting better all the time.

Anyway, staying at dumpier places and meeting tons of people is all a part of the craziness that is backpacking Europe. I say go for it.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

I stayed at Kabul last summer. I had a great time, met a lot of people. My room was pretty clean, great view of the plaza. The shower thing is no big deal, i avoided looking around and others do the same as well, im sure. Just make sure to take the extra sheets when you check in. On their beds they have a bed cover, that it seems they do not wash often. In other words, do not rely on this cover to keep you warm, I threw it off of my bed when I first got there. They also provide a free evening meal, just have to be there in time before it runs out.
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

has nobody mentioned the happy hour there yet?? 1.5E litres of beer. Thats enough to get me to stay nearly anywhere. Yes, its only for 1 hr a day (usually 3Euros), but you can just stock up when its 10 minutes to cut off. I know we did and crazy drinking games ensued because we had so much beer to drink. We had 45L of beer on our table when happy hour ended! What the eff??? Maybe thats why I didn't make it out that night......

hmm, on second thought, I hope this is still true, this was in '06 so maybe they've gone up now. frick, can't believe my europe trip started 2 YEARS AGO!! I'm so old.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

i stayed at centric point hostel in barcelona...i had to switch rooms a few times due to not having a reservation, but it was a good time...nice communal kitchen...lots of tables to eat at or play games, bar...fantastic bartender...who gave me free drinks ALL night because i was broke... i vote for centric point

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Drifter in the making.

I stayed at Kabul and had a good time.. DON'T EAT THE NACHOS haha... my room was clean, and the showers wern't a problem. Met some super hot guys and I really liked the solid lockers that are in the room..

I didn't like the room policy of putting your name on the list at 7am and it's one in one out.... or the $20 Key deposit... but there ya go.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

I stayed at Kabul when I was in Barcelona in '04 and it was gross. The beds don't have sheets, just covers and when I walked in, they were "cleaning" the room which meant they were flipping the mattress. Take your own sheets if you go. On a positive note, the lockers in the rooms are great!

Have fun
mushroom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Drifter in the making.

Well I'm pretty sure that it states that they don't provide sheets... and that they are at an extra cost... but a lot of people don't get them, which isn't really the fault of the hostel if the bed looks nasty without sheets...

I think all hostels should have sheets, it'd be super handy.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Artist of Life

Kabul seemed a little too loud when I was there... mind you I never stayed there, I just went for their pool tables. Watching the Irish and Aussies play a game of pool while trashed must have been the funniest thing I have ever seen. Wouldn't want to sleep there, though.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote