A DECENT hostel in Paris? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips

Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips Safety, services and general questions. Is there a camp ground in...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Default A DECENT hostel in Paris?

Can anyone recomend one?? Everything seems dodgy, dirty or in an unconvenient neigbourhood...You read the comments other packers made and you start wondering if the park bench is not better...

Does anyone know of a decent place?? I found one that looked good enough, 5' walk from Louvre... but it was 27€!! I told myself to suck it in and spend a little extra.... but when reading the reviews I realised it was not worth it at all.

Has anyone been in Paris in the past 6 months and can recommend a good place?
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

i ended up dropping 36 euro on a hotel when i was there last november as pretty much all of the hostels were full. (la quercy was the hotel) it was a bit far from the main sites but in a decent part of town and otherwise ok except for the second night when the couple in the next room were getting it on rather loudly for awhile. so yeah, i guess that doesn't help your hostel search much but anyway...

USA, Canada, Mexico, England, France, Italy, Guatemala, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Chile.
jabad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

here is what you can do, i was there on a thursday and all five i tried were booked solid, so i went to "le flechette dior, it is a club on the east side of town and watched a free rock concert till 2 am, i coul dhave stayed all night but the noise got to me.

then i left walked about a mile south found and empty lot that was fenced off, hopped that and pitched my tent

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Hey Flo, we had the same problem last summer. Ended up just staying in a hotel. It seems we paid like 35 Euro a night, with breakfast. A little steap, but the hostel situation in Paris didn't work for us. Pick your location well, as we stayed a little to far away from the main attractions and ended up riding the metro all day every day. Good luck girlie
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Thanx Marc! I'll keep on searching...
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
lover of Germany

Try here
http://www.hostel-in.com/general/presentation-ang.html

it has a small list of hostels in Paris. Unfortunately everything in Paris is expensive including hostels.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

I slept outside in a park in Paris, so I don't have firsthand experience, but my friends stayed in Aloha hostel and said it was "all right."

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Members

I'm a big fan of Hotel Mazarin, it's in Rue (or Place, or something) des Petits Ecuries, a small side street right off Rue St Denis (in the indian/pakistani area). Great location like 5-10 mins from Gare du Nord, a bit run down but it's clean, 25 euros a night for a double room.

I don't think they're listed anywhere online but i might have a phone number somewhere. They're never fully booked though.
nena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencia9699 View Post
Can anyone recomend one?? Everything seems dodgy, dirty or in an unconvenient neigbourhood...You read the comments other packers made and you start wondering if the park bench is not better...

Does anyone know of a decent place?? I found one that looked good enough, 5' walk from Louvre... but it was 27€!! I told myself to suck it in and spend a little extra.... but when reading the reviews I realised it was not worth it at all.

Has anyone been in Paris in the past 6 months and can recommend a good place?

you read my mind! i came here to ask the same question!!!
i found nothing but shady reviews of gross places! what's up with the french?! i know the place is expensive but come on already!

"if you can't be good...at least be good at what you do"
NYCHouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I like the older, run down building. I thought the 3 ducks was a great place. The building had character. Although it might have had more to do with the large selection of cheap drink and seeing the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. Yerone falling down the basement hatch like something out of a cartoon.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

I am looking for a place too. Last time I was there, I stayed at some sketchy place near the train station and when I went up to my room, there was a guy, sweeping the stairs, staring at me, with his.....cock in his hand. Needlesses to say, I didn't do much but travel around the city and lock myself in my room for those 2 nights.

cya...lilchappy
lilchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
Yoda

Hotel Square Caulaincourt (on the back side of Montmartre) was decent. They have hotel rooms and hostel dorm rooms. My experience is of the hotel rooms.

Also, Omisan recommends the BVJ Louvre hostel, he's stayed there a couple of times and says it's good. I've also heard good things about the Woodstock hostel in Montmartre.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

I think I'll crash at the Caulincourt. It gets great reviews.. and even though it's a bit further that some others, I'll just make me feel more Parisienne.

I found this one that looks really cheap and nice, but it doesn't work for me as it only has private rooms:
Perfect Hostel: http://www.hostelworld.com/availabil...el-Paris-14156

Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Yoda

I think you'll like the Caulaincourt. It's actually very conveniently located and the neighborhood has a nice, well, neighborhood feel to it. The Sacre Coeur is nearby and strolling around the back side, residential neighborhood of the Butte de Montmartre is fascinating... It's been a few years since I was there but there were two patisseries nearby and they were both excellent. I do, however, advocate avoiding the "Italian" restaurant a block or so down the way.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Good luck in Paris, there are so many amazing places to go. I have been 20+ times and still want to go back for more

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

Misschick and I stayed in the woodstock hostel.

It was a decent place. Small kitchen. Overall the place was pretty clean, although the showers were a bit unclean lol. Plus the kitchen area and patio are the place to meet people. Anyhow, it is quite the walk to the eiffle tower or the louvre, for that you want the metro which is not far away. Woodstock is about 5 min from the Sacre de Coure (big white church castle thing?? lol) we walked up there and had lunch on the lawn every day. Also in fairly close walking distance to Moulin Rouge and several grocery stores.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #17
TPunk Emeritus

It's a bit higher budget, but there are several Etap hotels all over the city, which are usually in the 35 - 45 Euro range. There are, however, three beds per room (well, a double and a single bunk) so if you can find someone to share the cost with, it can be quite a good deal. With the six of us, Etaps are almost always cheaper than hostels, but even with two people, it can work out to less. We like the Etaps because they do have ensuite bathrooms/showers, however, a cheaper version of the same hotel, the Formule 1 chain, have shared toilets/showers in the hall (I think there's a sink in your room) for usually around 25 - 30 Euro/night. So, that might be another viable option. If you could find someone to share a room with there, it's an even better deal, though with a toilet-training aged child, that ensuite bathroom is rather a nice option.

The hotels are usually on the outskirts, although in Paris there are a couple closer in. Ours, which was one of the least central, was a 15 minute walk to a metro station - with several convenient patisseries on the way, for a fresh hot pain au chocolat to start the day...

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #18
TPunk Emeritus

Thanks for the info TW!! Yes, those are convenient.. and it's usually where we stayed when the whole family was travelling, but for me travelling alone they are bit pricy and too far from city centers/train stations. Although if I had a car that would provably be my number one choise.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #19
TPunk Emeritus

I stayed at Le Village hostel in Montemartre. It was good. Our room had a lil patio with views of Sacre Coeur. Though this was 4 years ago now. So my opinion is probably something not to go on.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #20
Artist of Life

Stayed at BVJ near the Louvre. It was decent, although there tend to be a lot of school trips there, and rowdy highschoolers can be a lot of fun to talk to, but can be annoying when ur trying to sleep.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote