Gas Prices. How Much Per Gallon Where You Live? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #21
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
when I started driving, gas was 99 cents a gallon.
I'm not saying how much it was a gallon when I first started driving - let's just say it was MUCH cheaper than .99 gallon.

It's currently $3.65-$3.85 per gallon here in Columbus, OH right now.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #22
Members

Man, I remember filling up one day when I first got my license and complaining to my friend how gas had "spiked" at $1.30. LOL! Aww the foolishness of youth.

$3.59/gal today in Orlando Fl... well, unincorporated Orange County (aka East Orlando).
Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
celebrating jacks b-day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb3000 View Post
In the UK I'm paying £1.15 per litre, that's £4.35 ($8.50) per US gallon.
thats a bit mych in NI it's something like £1.09
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
Members

$3.89 where i live
Old 05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
TPunk Recognized

front page of the paper says gas made it to 3.99 in Louisville today... yikes. I haven't driven in a week since I had my tonsils out and my tank is empty. Really wish I'd filled up now.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #26
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

As an environmentalist I am loving these high gas prices! (ducks for cover)

Maybe it will shock consumer taste, energy policy, transportation design, and most of all - political will to take a more progressive stance and integrate more sustainable design and lifestyles!

When I started driving at 16, fuel was 55 cents per litre, and my 5 Litre Mustang devoured it like crazy - but it didn't matter!

Fast forward 10 years: I got groceries tonight on my bike. 65Litre rucksack, and two canvas bags - $140 worth of groceries and at least 60 lbs on my back! I almost crashed 3 times!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball1982 View Post
As an environmentalist I am loving these high gas prices! (ducks for cover)

Maybe it will shock consumer taste, energy policy, transportation design, and most of all - political will to take a more progressive stance and integrate more sustainable design and lifestyles!
I have to regretfully agree with you. it's taken prices this high to get drivers to cut back. But, I have to say I'm glad I don't live in a rural town anymore, I can't imagine how they're dealing.

I'm pretty pissed my town took light rail off the table a few years ago, now it's never going to happen. But, maybe as the need increases and if the money for such projects starts to reappear in the next few years the US will finally start to install better transportation options.

Honestly, if taxes were increased on gas and the money was used to install better transportation, especially in more remote areas I would pay more per gallon. Maybe not happily, but I could at least support what that money was being used for.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #28
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75

I do agree that it's good in a way but with little or no alternatives available for travel people are getting hit from every direction. Public transport is not as widely available nor as convenient as we have been led to believe and for the majority of people its not practical or safe for most people to walk/bike to work. Airfares are spiking too which is definitely a sore spot BOO URNS
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #29
TPunk Recognized

^ Definitely! It's a shame we couldn't have planned ahead for all of this and started building better transportation options before we needed them. It's not like we weren't expecting this to happen eventually.

But, in my area at least, the car factories actually bribed the government to take out all of the public transportation to increase the need for cars. Half the streets in my neighborhood were originally trolley turnarounds. Now we just have a lousy bus system, which doesn't run past 9pm and doesn't help anyone who live in rural areas. Plus, now those car factories are laying people off and shutting down so... that worked out well, didn't it?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #30
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

we have a pretty good commuter system in D.C. and it works really well if we want to go out to D.C. and hang out, but in Columbia (about 20-25 minutes from the nearest commuter station) there is a crappy bus system that no one knows how to use that has stop miles apart. good if you're willing to walk half a mile and you only need to go to the mall eight miles away, but if you're trying to get to the supermarket 4-5 miles up the highway, you're screwed.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #31
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

This is the thing that kills me:

We would be a lot closer to an ideal system (better designed cities; build higher not wider, more pedestrian/bike friendly, better/more public transit, subsidized sustainable transit, more bike access, etc) if not for the incredible lobbying power and political clout of the energy and automotive sectors.

(Hell, even the senior leadership of the most powerful country in the world has absolute direct stakes in the oil industry, but that is a topic for another time).

Eventually the market will drive consumers to start making different choices, as fuel prices raise, more and more consumers will be pushed over the threshold to make an alternate decision (take a bike, pay for an expensive rail/bus pass, etc). This will place demand on these types of areas/services, which will lower the price and raise competition in sustainable transportation. Which will make these options look better and better (they become less expensive as fossil fuel or single-occupant vehicle options become more expensive). Or... at least thats what they say.... But we are still, at a minimum, 20 years behind the curve of where we should be.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #32
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I payed £1.18 for a litre on the motorway the other day, my stomach did flips.
lauren313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #33
The Finisher

Send a message via AIM to epicballa

$3.99-4.09 in NYC. I need to sell my car and get a motorcycle.
epicballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #34
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

We are on an exponential curve now!
The price is supposed to peak at 15% higher than right now later on during summer.

Some analysts are saying fuel prices will double in the next 4 years. (Fuel prices have increased by 50% in the last 1.5 years).
Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 AM   #35
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75

^ Way to make us all feel better snowball :P
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 AM   #36
Admin

Technology is being developed as we speak to extract oil from tar sands in North America.

Should they make massive breakthroughs on this, the price of oil should come down tremendously and there are hundreds of thousands of acres that we can tap into in our backyard.

All I know is that I have been riding my hybrid mountain/city bike all over the place .
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #37
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Yeah but this is at a crazy cost:
it takes something like:
1 barrel of oil
20 barrels of water
10 metric tonnes of soil
to produce 2 barrels of oil

I may be in the minority in Western Canada, but it does feel like public opinion is starting to shift a little bit against the tar sands project. Basically, if the energy companies get their way - an area the size of Florida will be strip mined, and this area is a boreal forest that supplies much of the country with water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post
Technology is being developed as we speak to extract oil from tar sands in North America.

Should they make massive breakthroughs on this, the price of oil should come down tremendously and there are hundreds of thousands of acres that we can tap into in our backyard.

All I know is that I have been riding my hybrid mountain/city bike all over the place .
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 AM   #38
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball1982 View Post
This is the thing that kills me:

We would be a lot closer to an ideal system (better designed cities; build higher not wider, more pedestrian/bike friendly, better/more public transit, subsidized sustainable transit, more bike access, etc) if not for the incredible lobbying power and political clout of the energy and automotive sectors.
I don't like the idea of bigger citys, I think that's the hole problem in fact. I think for the most part city folk are to far removed from nature and the daily facts of nature to appreciate just how essential our environment is to our survival. Big citys are a big drain on the world. You also have country folk all over the world working themselfs into poverty to supply big citys with cheap food. This is happening to farmers all over the world including in Ireland (a farming stronghold for millenia) and America.

I don't mind building large citys but I think nature needs to be brought into them and more effort should be made to build proper communities within citys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post

Should they make massive breakthroughs on this, the price of oil should come down tremendously .
The price of oil will never come down again no matter what new sources we find.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #39
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Gas has crossed to $3.99 - $4.09/gal here in Detroit. When I came back 3 weeks ago, gas was $3.59/gal.

The cheapest gas I bought was $.35/gal. I liked that, that was in Indiana.

I still miss the days of $.85/gal gas and $2 got you enough gas for a day trip.

Where are my Hydrogen fuel cell cars???

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #40
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijuki View Post
Where are my Hydrogen fuel cell cars???
I think their getting closer, I remember seeing on the news here that some UK company is close to finding a cheap way of storing it.

I wonder how viable methane cars would be, I still think that's the fuel of the future considering how abundant and sustainable it is. It's in our poo like, how convenient is that?