Clothing! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to polarbear Send a message via MSN to polarbear
Default Clothing!

hello again all!
the question i pose to you now is what are your favorite threads when traveling? best pants, best shirts, socks, underwear, the whole package. seems to me that a 3 month stint overseas could take its toll on clothing that you take. let alone the heat in May through August could be a big part of it.
so what do you think?

Thanks alot!

Polar
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #2

You can never have enough socks! Everything else I bring usually makes it just fine but I walk so much I ruin half the socks I bring. Other than that I try to have maybe 1 extra shirt.
bertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

ha, I usually have a big dress-up session before I go so I know I can wear everything in lots of different ways!
take into account how much things need ironing, how long it takes to dry them, whether they show much dirt etc etc... you want stuff that's easy to care for!
Just bring whatever you like to wear at home... there's no reason why you should buy lots of new clothes just to travel, unless of course you are going somewhere cold and don't own a coat or something.
As you're going in summer, take more tops than you think you'll need (cause you can't re-wear them as much as you can in winter!) and just like one cardigan and a pair of jeans for cold evenings.

Last edited by aliz; 03-19-2009 at 09:42 PM.
aliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

hit outdoor stores. most of that stuff is synthetic (i.e. easy to dry, lighter and packs smaller) and shuns dirt pretty well. also, layer as oppose to bringing big coats and stuff like that.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

My two must-haves:

Zipper pants/shorts - Columbia brand, Platinum series have proven to be amazingly durable and stain resistant. I've destroyed many other pairs, but these have endured whatever I put them through.

Synthetic moisture-wicking t-shirts - Luckily I have a ton of them left from the Army, yeah I look the same every day, but whatever, they're super light and comfy.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

+1 for the moisture wicking shirts, I have a bunch from tri's and cycling, but they feel good while you have been on your feet for a few days and just need a bottom layer.

I like button down shirts, but they are not the best for travel, they take up a lot of space.

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
Artist of Life

I always figure since you're going to areas where local clothes are for sale, you don't have to really over-think your choices of clothing... but in general I think the more all-purpose clothes you have the better: ie. good to walking around the city for an afternoon and good to walking into a classy lounge.

But of course, for guys its an easy division of labour: t-shirts and dress shirts.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to polarbear Send a message via MSN to polarbear

thanks for the replies, i like the zip off pants, ill bring along a single button down shirt for classier areas.

POLAR
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I have the zip pants by north face that are either pants or capris. they're fantastic. I also usually take jersey/cotton type dress that I can throw on when it's going to be hot... it's comfy and can be nice enough for dinner somewhere but casual to wear sightseeing.

lets see... some yoga type capris or even gauchos, I do a lot of black so you can't see sweat or spills. they're great for flying or sitting on the train.

not sure where you're going but do bring one good hoodie, I know it takes up space but I was SOOOOOOO thankful for the hoodie I brought when I was sitting in the Dortmund train station at 2am and it felt like it was like 50. it gets chilly at night for sure, def did in Germany anyway.

thats all I can think of right now. OH! also! I am super shallow and need shoes that aren't tennis shoes to go with things like gauchos and dresses (cos that's super fugly I don't care) so I found some nice flats that Puma made that were hella comfy for walking but looked nice with capris and dresses and stuff.

also bring a bandanna or a hat. I brought with me a knit cap and it was nice when I didn't feel like even attempting hair or of I skipped a shower or something.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

I'm a fan of the zip-off pants, too - I just got some Columbias on sale. I also like skorts by Columbia or similar, because in real life I like wearing skirts and dresses and those are a great travel compromise. I have uber-comfy walking sandals because I hate wearing socks or sneakers, I wear them rain or shine, everywhere. I also usually bring a pair of dressier sandals that are also comfy to walk all day but look better at night or in a fancier place. They don't take up any space or weigh much, either. Obviously, travelling outside of summer, I do bring proper shoes.

I almost always pack a sarong, as well, as it is a multi-purpose item. Dress, beach/pool cover-up, shawl, skirt, shirt, and that's just the clothing options. Tablecloth, beach towel, sun shade, umbrella, carry all, gift wrap, privacy screen, curtain, blanket...and I've employed mine as a changing table, emergency kids' clothes and on and on. Plus, they wash and dry quickly, weigh little and take up hardly any space.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblezweedz View Post
I almost always pack a sarong, as well, as it is a multi-purpose item. Dress, beach/pool cover-up, shawl, skirt, shirt, and that's just the clothing options. Tablecloth, beach towel, sun shade, umbrella, carry all, gift wrap, privacy screen, curtain, blanket...and I've employed mine as a changing table, emergency kids' clothes and on and on. Plus, they wash and dry quickly, weigh little and take up hardly any space.
zomg a sarong = the best. it's also nice as a head wrap when your hair is grasy and/or fug or if it's windy out. it works as a skirt that you can wear and wear without having to wash. and you can get a SUPER cheap one at walmart or something.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #12

Sarongs are great, i agree..all the girls we saw travelling in costa rica wore them all the time. i plan on buying a few so i can wear skirts instead of pants/shorts most of the time
Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #13

Arrow Re: Clothing!

I think rental clothes are best option.
melliset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliset View Post
I think rental clothes are best option.
What is it? It's like you pay for the fact that you are wearing it for some time and then you have to give it back?