anyone else scrapbook their trips? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
RootBrewskies
Members

Send a message via AIM to RootBrewskies

so i dont want it to seem like i'm a grandma or some soccer mom or something, but who out there scrapbooks their trips? i take pictures and collect all sorts of crap while im traveling. brouchures, pamphlets, local papers, reciepts, metro passes, ticket stubs, etc. and then i put all my pictures in in album along with the other stuff.

just wondering if there are any other dorks out there..
Old 04-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

hmmm not me.... I make photo logs for my blog and threads in here but very few of my photos ever see paper.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Yep. I have trip photos all the way back to my first semi-solo trip to England (my sister and I went to stay with relatives when I was 12), but I don't do a lot of writing - the photos more or less speak for themselves.

The kids love looking through the books and pointing out things they remember, people they met and what not. And I love having a place to record famous things they said, like "Ewww, dog bubby (poop) on a stick!"

Just got back from our first digitally recorded trip, and I haven't figured out what to do with the pictures, but I honestly hate not having hard copies to sift through and study.

Looks like mama needs a photo printer for Mother's Day/birthday...

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
expatben
lover of Germany

Yeah I have a photo album of a trip I took to France.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

i havent gone anywhere spectacular lately but i scrapbooked my first trip to mexico and I absolutely LOVE It...I have another scrapbook waiting to be filled just havent had the time to do it...but my Mexico scrapbook is something i look at all the time...makes me so happy!

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
RootBrewskies
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Apr 27 2006, 07:16 AM
Yep.* I have trip photos all the way back to my first semi-solo trip to England (my sister and I went to stay with relatives when I was 12), but I don't do a lot of writing - the photos more or less speak for themselves.*

The kids love looking through the books and pointing out things they remember, people they met and what not.* And I love having a place to record famous things they said, like "Ewww, dog bubby (poop) on a stick!"

Just got back from our first digitally recorded trip, and I haven't figured out what to do with the pictures, but I honestly hate not having hard copies to sift through and study.*

Looks like mama needs a photo printer for Mother's Day/birthday...

[snapback]115465[/snapback]

you can put your pictures on a disk and take it to walmart or somewhere like that or check out a website like snapfish.com if you really want to get hard copies of your pictures.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Jen05
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Jen05

I'm the biggest scrapbook nerd of them all...my mom and I and my brother's girlfriend love to bond over scrapbooking, and have all the nerdiest scrapbooking supplies. I love it! I did a scrapbook of Africa and Europe, and it's just a great way to keep everything together, plus since it's more time consuming, you relive your trip all the time!
Jen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
Wibbs
Members

Not really a scrapbook person but I do for some uknown reason keep stubs, receipts, pamphlets, brochures etc while travelling.... maybe a sign of a scrapbook person in the making.... NOT!
Wibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Root - Walmart would work if we lived in the States. I'm sure the photo shop here can do something similar, but I think the expense would make the home printer a better option. Besides, my husband is always looking for electronic gadgets...

Jen05 - "I did a scrapbook of Africa..." That's the best thing I've heard all day. I wonder how many "typical" scrapbookers can relate to that? And you're right, reliving the experiences is a great way to get through the between-trips doldrums.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

TW - what about your PX? I'm sure they have some kind of digital photo station - they're pretty common now. And not as expensive as you'd think. I believe Wal Mart charges less than 20c a print. You get a real photo print, so it's still high quality. That's how we print out all of our picutres.

And yes, we both kind of scrapbook too. My mother in law got this sticker paper, so we'd print photos on that and then stick them in our journals and write entries and all that jazz.

Jake still keeps up with his (new one post trip). He bought me the coolest pink journal and now I can't find it.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #11
RootBrewskies
Members

tumble - sorry, didnt realize u dont live in the US. i would be slightly careful being a digital photo printer. they sometimes seem like a good idea, but after the expense of the photo paper and the ink you can end up spending way more. my guess is that there is a store somewhere that you can get digital prints made. basically every grocery store that has a film lab around here can make digital prints now.

also, i dont want this thread to classify me as a scrapbook nerd totally. i'm not buying all sorts of crazy scrap book supplies and stuff, i basically just compile all the stuff i collect together so i can look through it once in a while. if i dont put it all together, i end up sticking it in a closet and never looking at it again.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

Quote:
Originally posted by RootBrewskies@Apr 26 2006, 10:44 PM
i take pictures and collect all sorts of crap while im traveling.* brouchures, pamphlets, local papers, reciepts, metro passes, ticket stubs, etc. and then i put all my pictures in in album along with the other stuff.
[snapback]115425[/snapback]
I do this...I don't call it scrapbooking though, that makes it sound really
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #13
freespiritz
always trippin'

I don't really scrapbook per se, not in the sense of hardcore scrapbooking after a trip anyway. I am a big "travel journaller" though, just scribbling and doodling stuff while on the road and I do keep all sorts of tickets and stubs and bits and pieces which I stick in my beat-up journal. I love it! It just makes memories so much more tangible

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

No no guys your goin the wrong way around this!! I dont know about everyone in North America but over here we have a company called Photobox who are an online company.

I have just used them for my final year dissertation. Basically you upload your digital photos and they print them out into a super dooper book that you can keep you can also add text

Definately check them out

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I'll check out the BX option (different initials in the Air Force!), I'm sure they've got something, just seemed expensive when I looked at it before. The whole scrapbooking world hasn't really taken off in Germany yet, so there don't seem to be a lot of photo developing places in our local stores. Maybe that's because we live in the back of beyond, though...

Sounds like we're all a bunch of scrapbooking nerds, though we call it by different names to make it not seem as as pinion suggests... Back in the day, they were called photo albums, and that still seems as respectable a name as any to me - mostly because 90% of what goes into mine are (shock and awe) photos. I'm amazed at the creative things people do with their books, but for me, a nice mat offsetting a fabulous picture, with maybe a note about the who/where/when tells a great story. Maybe that's just because cutting a straight line with a paper cutter is about the limit of my abilities...

Old 04-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #16
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I have moleskin books that I keep notes in while I travel (phone numbers, badly drawn maps, impressions, thoughts, the next hot place, how much things cost) and invariably my ticket stubs and notes from people I meet get stuck in there. And photos. Recently I took a big blank wall in our apartment and scrapbooked right on it. Sure, its not permanent but I think it looks pretty wicked. Its a bunch of pictures Ive taken, postcards, tickets, things Ive picked up (a big huge gum leaf, money from several places..), and pictures of places I want to go. And the occasional note. Its pretty sweet.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Ohhh, interactive scrapping...I'm sensing a trend, people!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #18
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

trying to.......but not very productive.....taking forever.........

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #19
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
I'll check out the BX option (different initials in the Air Force!)
Oh yay! Your hubby's Air Force! I come from an AF family, Jake comes from Army. For some reason, I thought you were Army as well (hence the PX vs BX).

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #20
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Wibbs@Apr 27 2006, 05:50 AM
Not really a scrapbook person but I do for some uknown reason keep stubs, receipts, pamphlets, brochures etc while travelling.... maybe a sign of a scrapbook person in the making.... NOT!*
[snapback]115517[/snapback]
Same. I have all the content of a great scrap book, but none of the motivation to make one....i might get there some day.