how much cash? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
halcyonrx
Members

I am going to Europe for a month (Spain, Italy, Prague, Krakow, Paris) and I have already booked my flight, alot of my travel in btw cities, and then most of my hostels.

For hostels, shopping, food, train & bus fares...is it easy to use a credit card in Europe?
How much should I expect to need in cash?
I would rather use my credit card as much as possible...is that realistic?
halcyonrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
Originally posted by halcyonrx@Apr 24 2006, 12:07 PM
I am going to Europe for a month (Spain, Italy, Prague, Krakow, Paris) and I have already booked my flight, alot of my travel in btw cities, and then most of my hostels.*

For hostels, shopping, food, train & bus fares...is it easy to use a credit card in Europe?*
How much should I expect to need in cash?*
[snapback]114509[/snapback]
I know that at most hostels you can use credit cards. It would be kind of odd if they didnt. Keep in mind that they might charge you a fee to use you card. Probably will. If the card isnt in your name (its your parents card, for example) then you should have a letter signed by the cardholder saying its alright to use their card. I had to call soooo many parents who were back home in the states and get them to fax our hostel those damn letters. Also, make sure to inform your credit card company of where you're going, and when. otherwise they could very well put a hold and you're left up shit creek.
Shopping and food buying is much like it is here. Most of the time, yes you can use a card. I like street markets myself, for those sorts of shopping you need cash. Trains and buses.. I dont know for sure. I know you can in the UK and Paris, mostly. I would assume yes for trains.
I'd say using the card is realistic. Be careful though. Its so easy to just travel on a credit card and not think about it. Then you come back and BAM you have to work for the next year solid to pay it off. And you still want to have some cash on you.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

An idea though if you do want to travel and pretty much use your credit card the entire time is to pay your card BEFORE you go.

I had a friend that was so scared of losing her money or getting mugged and not being "financially" protected, the way a credit card protects you. So she paid ten grand directly to her visa before her trip. That way, she didnt have any nasty big debts waiting for her when she got home.

Or of course, you can just put your fund money into a bank account that has online banking and you can pay your Credit card as you go on the internet.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Make sure that you keep all your reciepts too, and NEVER let your card out of your sight. Common knowledge I know, but it's so easy for the clerk to add a little to the card and suddenly your bill is a lot larger then it should be.

I know for a fact buses are cash to buy the tickets, at least it was wherever I traveled to. I wouldn't bank on train stations letting you use your credit card either. I remember I had to search all over the bloody barcelona train station for an atm after my friend and I waited in the loooooong line then were told that we needed to pay cash. So we grabbed new tickets, ran through the massive place in search of the *one* atm they said they had. How could they only have one?!!!

edited to add: I wouldnt recommend traveling on a credit card either. I mean for some things, sure, but there are atms everywhere, cash is so much easier to maneuver around and you can seriously rack up some debt if you let things go out of hand, as some of our fellow TPunks can attest to *ahem*Jake*ahem*. Credit cards are better off for emergencies. Not to mention that if you can't pay off the amount right away the interest can be atrocious!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
expatben
lover of Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by halcyonrx@Apr 24 2006, 10:07 AM
I am going to Europe for a month (Spain, Italy, Prague, Krakow, Paris) and I have already booked my flight, alot of my travel in btw cities, and then most of my hostels.*

For hostels, shopping, food, train & bus fares...is it easy to use a credit card in Europe?*
How much should I expect to need in cash?*
[snapback]114509[/snapback]
You may want to have some on the ground money in Europe. Now, Spain Italy and Paris will be easier because its all Euro but bear in mind that Poland still has the Zloty(pronounced Zwoty) and the Czech republic has their own currency.
It is fairly easy to use your card in Europe although personally I might by some tickets in cash. I mean you might be on the metro or something. BTW how long are you in Paris? If its long you may want to consider a carte jeun. You can get around the city for free.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I'd also be hesitant to use a credit card most of the time, unless as was suggested, you prepay a good chunk of your anticipated expenses. Even so, some countries have a poor record regarding credit card fraud rates, so it pays to be vigilant.

It's no longer necessary to carry your whole trip finances with you (in cash and travelers cheques) like it used to be - ATMs are widespread, with the exception of the train station in Barcelona, apparently! So it's possible to get about a week's worth of cash at a time, which is better for safety, and you still have a credit card to back you up.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote