Packing list - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
Degrassi

Send a message via MSN to Degrassi
Talking

Yeah, yeah. I'm bringing too much. But what can I get rid of?

This is my partial (clothes only) packing list.. I think (hope?) I have the rest covered.

Tops
- 3 Tshirts
- 3 Tanktops
- 1 Northface zippy fleece
- 1 Long sleeved shirt
- 1 rainkackety thing
- 1 sleeping/running shrt - loose cotton.

Bottoms
- 1 pair jeans ( i know, I know, but they're really comfy and I don't have another pair of long pants. Plus, they aren't my favourites, so I can always ditch them?!)
- 1 pair capris
- 1 pair knee length shorts
- 1 - 2 skirts
- 1 Yoga/comfy/PJ pants
- 1 sleep/running shorts

Shoes:
- 1 pair trail runners
- 1 sturdy sandals
- 1 cute (small) dressier sandal
... I was thinking of black maryjanes also, but that's just overkill, no?

Random:
- 5 pairs undies
- 5 pairs of socks
- 2 bathing suits (1 piece and 2 piece)
- 1 sarong
- 3 bras - sports, beige, black
- Assorted headbands (5ish, but I have REALLY annoying hair), necklaces, etc...

I'm starting in Portugal at the end of May, but I'll be gone for 6 months, mostly in Europe, but I'll be in a variety of different climates - Northern Sweden in June, Israel in November, Croatia in August...

Thanks tons, y'all.

So far (in order) - Canada, USA, Israel, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Holland, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Croatia, Slovenia, Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, S.Korea, Thailand, Morocco
Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Um, maybe take out 1 t-shirt and one tank top, that still leaves you four short sleeve tops. I'd only take one skirt (actually, I personally wouldn't take one skirt, I'm not a skirt person!). Not the maryjanes, if you can live without, which I'm sure you can!

Oh, and bras, maybe just take the sports one and the beige one. The beige can be worn under any colour top without showing through, whereas (if you're fussy about your bra showing, like me!) the black one you could only really wear with dark tops!

Do you need two bathing suits? I guess it could be a problem if you plan on wearing and rinsing it very frequently, then it might not dry in time for the next day. But I'd personally just take one!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Okay here are my thoughts on the list...

Tops
- 3 Tshirts
- 3 Tanktops

I'd cut a T-shirt and a tank top as previously mentioned...but then again I took quite a few tops with me, I just had that really light cotton fabric for the most part that you can get from american eagle so all my tops rolled up to pretty much the size of underwear....

Bottoms
- 1 pair jeans ( i know, I know, but they're really comfy and I don't have another pair of long pants. Plus, they aren't my favourites, so I can always ditch them?!)

- 1 Yoga/comfy/PJ pants
^are these capri length or full? b/c if they're full then I'd cut the jeans and just use the shorts to sleep in. If theyre capri length then I'd cut these or the capris..

Shoes:
- 1 pair trail runners
- 1 sturdy sandals
... I was thinking of black maryjanes also, but that's just overkill, no?

^No maryjanes....but is it possible to get a sturdy yet dressy enough sandal for your trip so that you're not carrying 2 pairs?

Random:
^ I'd cut the 1 piece. Or 2, whichever you're more comfortable w/. But you can tan w/ the two-piece more easily...The only reason you'd really need the 1 piece is for diving, which I don't really know if you're planning to do, but that is most likely a no...

^I wouldn't bring too much jewelry, like maybe a necklace & couple pair of earrings you like, you dont really need to dress up too much when going out and you'll be really sorry if you lose nice jewelry.

Other than that, I think it's pretty good

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Esterina
french touch

Hi Degrassi,

It may sound strange, but the longer you are on the road and the more places you do, the lighter you want to pack ! A backpack should weigh at the most 35lbs. And you can buy a few pieces abroad; when you are done with the cold spots, a good idea is to ship the extra clothes home.

The light version of your list :

Tops
- 2 Tshirts
- 1 Tanktops
- 1 Long sleeved shirt
- 1 rainkackety thing

Bottoms
- 1 pair jeans
- 1 pair knee length shorts (do you have convertibles ? That's the best, two pairs in one!)
- 1 pair capris OR 1 skirt OR 1 sarong
- 1 sleep/running shorts

Shoes:
- 1 pair trail runners
- 1 sturdy sandals

Random:
- 5 pairs undies
- 5 pairs of socks
- 2 bras - you can use your bathing suit top as a bra !

Try this, weigh your pack, THEN add... if you can...

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

You may not realize it now, but minimalist is the way to go. Really, the less stuff you bring, the better. I'm making suggestions based on my opinion - feel free to ignore!

Tops
- 3 Tshirts - eliminate 1
- 3 Tanktops - eliminate 1
- 1 Long sleeved shirt - iffy
- 1 rainkackety thing - I'd either get rid of this or the NF

Bottoms
- 1 pair capris
- 1 - 2 skirts - Just one
- 1 Yoga/comfy/PJ pants - eliminate this or sleep/running shorts
- 1 sleep/running shorts

Shoes:
- 1 pair trail runners
- 1 sturdy sandals
... I was thinking of black maryjanes also, but that's just overkill, no? - Yes, overkill

Random:
- 5 pairs undies
- 5 pairs of socks - if you're going to be wearing sandals mostly, eliminate a couple pairs
- 2 bathing suits (1 piece and 2 piece) - Really, you only need one. 2 piece will take up less space
- 1 sarong - ESSENTIAL! I couldn't live without it!
- Assorted headbands (5ish, but I have REALLY annoying hair), necklaces, etc... As SA said, you really should keep this stuff to a minimum. Even if it doesn't take much space, it gets annoying.

What are you think for bath and body stuff? You really want to keep that minimal as well.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

What Jamie (and everyone else) said seems reasonable, besides, some European countries can be really cheap, and you could buy a top there for nothing (which also doubles as souvenier, hehe). Also I've heard that in Germany and Spain the Spring sales are unbelievable!! Perhaps u can take as little as possible and live with that, and if you really get tyred of only 3 t-shirts, you can buy one along the way.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Degrassi

Thanks y'all for quick replies!

Re: 2 bathing suits - I'm kind of... extremely hard to fit on top, and if something happened to one of my bathing suits, I'd have a tough time finding another.

Good call on the buy more stuff later. This is my first major backpacking expedition, so I think I'm overpreparing.

Here's a (slightly) revised list.

Tops
- 2 Tshirts (ditched one)
- 2 Tanktops (ditched one)
- 1 Long sleeved shirt (Thin maretial, good for layering or slightly cooler nights)
- 1 rainkackety thing (tiny one that folds itself away into a pouch)

Bottoms
- 1 pair jeans
- 1 pair capris
- 1 skirt
- 1 sleep/running shorts
(ditched the yoga pants and one skirt)

Shoes:
- 1 pair trail runners
- 1 sturdy sandals
- 1 cute (small) dressier sandal (I'm thiking VERY small flats - ones that will mush up into basically nothing, but be good enough for a few hours sightseeing/a night out)

Random:
- 5 pairs undies
- 4 pairs of socks (ditched one - 2 hiking sandals, 1 short pair for under sneakers, 1 regular pair)
- 1 sarong

Jamiepeaski (and anyone else): Toiletries -

Humm. I haven't gievn those as much thought as the clothes. But this is what I have so far:
Full sized Shampoo and conditioner (no point getting travel sized ones for 6 months on the road).. although I did buy some Lush solid stuff, but haven't tried it yet.
Body wash - Undetermined size.. I don't wanna buy solid soap because it'll get all mushy in the case, but body wash seems like a waste of space. Suggestions?
Deodorant
Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Face wash, zit cream, moisturiser (sounds excessive, but I break out at the drop of a hat. Plus, the face moisturizer is SPF 15)
Sunscreen
Lip chap
Tampons
Pain killers
A wee bit of makeup - 2 MAC eye palettes, 1 mascara, 1 lancome juicy tube lipgloss, 1 pressed face powder)
aaaand.. maybe a travel sized hair gel and hairspray to tame the beast.

Am I missing anything? Is that too much?
So far (in order) - Canada, USA, Israel, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Holland, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Croatia, Slovenia, Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, S.Korea, Thailand, Morocco
Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

No, I think your toiletries list looks great, except the full size hair products. I know it seems like it's just best to buy the large size, but really, you're going to be carrying it all over the place. You can pick up more along the way. But, again, that's just me! I brought body wash (smaller bottle) because I just don't use bar soap. It really doesn't take up that much more space than bar soap. Definitely recommend a travel size hairspray/spray gel for the days you just don't feel like showering/doing your hair.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
Old 04-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Apr 17 2006, 06:52 PM
Definitely recommend a travel size hairspray/spray gel for the days you just don't feel like showering/doing your hair.
[snapback]112946[/snapback]

Hahaha I'd never thought of that!! that is some solid advise!! I don't know what i'll do for a month without a hair straigtener (is that it? i forgot the english word.... )

Anyways... i don't wat to carry mine... do u think there'll be oother girls carring theirs that i could borrow or should i just stick to a HAT/CUP?

my hair can be quite unsuboordinated sometimes!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

Old 04-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

For the love of all that is holy, leave your hair flat irons at home!!! No one cares if your hair is stick straight when you are on a backpacking trip! Actually they just take up room and are definately on the list of NON-essentials.

Degrassi, your list looks great. As far as the full size shampoo and conditioner, see if you can get some that is in bottles that are slightly smaller than average, yet bigger than travel sized bottles. When they are empty, you can buy some more...Travelling with full sized toiletries, gets a little heavy. True you are going to need more than just travel sized for six months, but that is the beauty of being able to buy shampoo and conditioner almost anywhere! As for the body wash, bring a small one, you are right, a bar of soap will get mushy. But you can also use your shampoo to double as body wash as well.....

A suggestion, bring some lanacane or anti itch cream. Mosquito bites are killer and I hate to be itchy. Also, I recently caved and bought some "off" because of the bug bite attacks. If it can fit, it can be a good thing to have.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

i know im gonna get shit for this...but i cannot go without a hair straightener...trust me...if u saw my hair not straightened...youd be scared...its not even "straight" after i straighten it..just tame...its necessary!!

but anyways i got a travel one at sallys thats like 1/4 inch iron and it folds up REALLY small and has a heat resistant pouch so you can put it away even if its still warm...i know it sounds silly..but at least im not taking my 1/2 inch one that doesnt fold up!

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #12
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

It's all good Brookers....you wont get shit from me. I understand about having the seemingly untamable hair!!

Of course I didn't even bring a brush with me to the DR....so I am just not a girl to talk to when it is about hair! When I have a bad hair day it is cured by simply throwing it up in a pony tail.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
As far as the full size shampoo and conditioner, see if you can get some that is in bottles that are slightly smaller than average, yet bigger than travel sized bottles.
Yes, Yes! I was going to come back and correct myself. We had the luxury of having a "home base" in Europe, so we bought these refillable bottles and after a couple weeks, would stop (our family's house) and refill them. I looked in the travel section yesterday and remembered just how small those bottles are - for anyone with thick/long hair, they'd only last 2-3 hair washes.

Bedhead makes a smaller sized shampoo and conditioner. Its good stuff too and goes a long way.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

oh my god florencia do you actually still use those straightening irons...girl you need to get in the land of GHD (good hair day)

I could not live without my irons and you can take off the usual british 3 pin plug and voila you have an international 2 pin plug so no need to worry about adaptors...yes they are £100 but you seriously only need to use them once a week twice if you wash your hair more than once a week

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Apr 18 2006, 12:32 PM
.yes they are £100 but you seriously only need to use them once a week twice if you wash your hair more than once a week*
[snapback]113216[/snapback]
sorry, did I read right??!! You only wash your hair ONCE A WEEK?!!!!!!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:47 AM   #16
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I got a pair of Vidal Sassoon straighteners which I'm going to be taking away with me. They're about the same size as GHDs, work almost as well, and I got them for £6.66 in the Boots sale a few months back. That might have been one of my best bargains yet.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #17
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Apr 18 2006, 02:32 PM
oh my god florencia do you actually still use those straightening irons...girl you need to get in the land of GHD (good hair day) [
[snapback]113216[/snapback]
Hahah, nah, that one was from google, didn't really bother looking up much, just wanted a picture that wasn't too big, just illustrative. On the other hand, I've tryed both and I can't see much difference.... with the "ions" thingy... i dunno, provably because I don't traighten all my hair (it'd take me a lifetime), i just work on the front, i love my curls, but as in the front it's shorter (damn stylist's trends... if i don't my hair looks weird even with a ponytale) i just mix the straight with the curls... i like it anyways.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #18
Degrassi

Sorry to bring this up again.

Slight modification:
How important are comfy pants? I'm thinking now I'd rather have them than jeans -

1 pair shorts, 1 capris, 1 comfy yoga pants, 1 shorts (sleeping/running). 1 skirt (jean, but really thin) and a sarong. I can (and likely will) always pick up more later....

Does that make more sense?

Old 04-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #19
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

As long as the yoga pants are something that you'd feel comfortable wearing out and about in public (in western Europe probably not an issue, but if you went east you'd get seriously odd looks if you went out in sweats), I'd opt for them over jeans - more comfy, probably lighter, more compact to pack, and dry faster too. I'm not a big fan of jeans when travelling.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:09 AM   #20
Munkeyrach
Members

and I couldnt live without jeans especially not on a long trip
Munkeyrach is offline   Reply With Quote