Taking a moment to bitch about my state. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
NitemareHippieGirl
TPunk Recognized

Smile

Last edited by NitemareHippieGirl; 02-04-2018 at 02:58 AM.
NitemareHippieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

wow, that really sucks...I'm with you all the way on this one. Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do..I mean you can protest & make a stand for your beliefs and hope that there are enough people with you on the issue, but that's pretty much it. People like that are such dickheads...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
astro25e

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! just reading about it makes me very mad! There are things you can do! your University probably has certain organizations that protest stuff like that.
also, you can look in the human rights campaign at www.hrc.org. it's an org that works towards equal rights for gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexuals all over the country. I'm sure they'd have stuff on it, or you can alert them of the situation.

Kentucky, you make me mad
Old 04-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

The commonwealth has dissapointed me again...
To think, I used to have such love for Ole' Kain-tuck...
Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

From what I read, it looks like the kid is challenging the kind request to get the hell out. His lawyer has said that their "rules" (you may be asked to leave the uni if you're gay or have premarital sex ( )) were not in effect when he started.

It's quite ridiculous really. The worse thing is, this doesn't even seem to be making much news. Just kind of quietly happening. Sometimes it seems like this country is moving backwards faster than it moves forwards.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

that sucks..

hold a demonstration!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Do you not have anything like a NUS in your country? NUS being National Union of Students.

Its something we are very passionate about over here in our uni's...basically because of the freebies and discount we get. However, I do know that they protest over international issues affecting students.

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
PlayPal
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

Jamie, our country isn't moving backwards, it's careening head over heels back down the slope that social liberals have been trying to drag it up since the founding of the country. Naturally, social ultra-conservatives feel it's there job to stand in the way of such an unholy march toward vices like equality, tolerance and.....freedom? Wait, that can't be right....neocons love freedom.......right...?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
PlayPal
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

Please pardon my unconstructive rant.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Unfortunately, it's a trend on both ends of the spectrum.... UC Berkeley recently had a student demonstration that kicked Army recruiters off campus (and slashed their tires, damaged their vehicle, etc)

The same rule applies to them, since Berkeley all but encouraged it (and certainly did little to prevent it) they're effectively violating federal law that states all employers should have equal access, including recruiters. Berkeley receives tons of federal money that could be in jeopardy if this continues.

yet nothing has happened, so far.

I'm also not sure I would be too upset about a Baptist college excluding people that are completely against their belief system (not arguing right or wrong about homosexuality, here, so we won't go that way). It would be like allowing a neonazi club on the campus of a black university, it simply doesn't go with the 'theme' of the college.

Black universities routinely discriminate, yet they do receive federal funding as well. Yet they provide opportunities for students that may not normally have the opportunity to attend college in an environment of people that share a simliar background. Is it any less right for a baptist university (or catholic) to do the same?

The only difference I see is that UC Berkeley is a public university, and my other examples are all private universities....

UC Berkeley is obligated to allow everyone... the others are not...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
Joker
You want fries with that?

to add to what the Good Monsignor said:

Its one thing if its a private institution- they can legally discriminate against certain groups that do not toe the party line. Very simply, since it is a Baptist school, they can refuse to allow gays, etc in, or remove them from the student body. Sorta the rule that allows certain fraternities and sororities to exclude certain people that don't fit their mold. The federal government cannot condone nor condemn as much as the ACLU protests.

However, for them to receive governmental funding for something they DO need to be suject to the same rules/regs as a public university, since general taxpayer's money (be them straight, gay, Baptist, Jewish, etc) is going to them. On that grounds alone, its wrong. If they want to take a moral high road on one end, they have to be willing to take it on all fronts.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

I think the main issue about this (to moi) is that the governor rolled back the protection for gay rights.

On to the uni - while what both of you say is correct, it does not apply to this case (legal discrimination).

Quote:
The legality of such a policy is doubtful as the university recieves some funds from the Kentucky State Government. According to the Supreme Court ruling in Bob Jones University v. United States, any university recieving public monies may not discriminate, so any court challenge will likely center on this.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
Old 04-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Apr 13 2006, 03:52 PM
I think the main issue about this (to moi) is that the governor rolled back the protection for gay rights.
[snapback]112225[/snapback]
Well, it's actually a valid issue in some ways. I don't believe in any laws that restrict free speech - such as making it a crime to deny the Holocaust or banning "hate" speech.

The key here is if the STATE government is going to discriminate against someone because of sexual orientation, and that should not be allowed. Basically, discrimination on basis of sexual orientation is usually done because of religious beliefs...so do you infringe on someone's right to be able to fully express their religious views even if they are critical of homosexuals?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
Joker

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Apr 13 2006, 12:52 PM

On to the uni - while what both of you say is correct, it does not apply to this case (legal discrimination).
[snapback]112225[/snapback]
Actually, Jamie, its pretty clear: The University CAN discriminate against certain people but ONLY if they are not receiving governmental money. Bob Jones U clearly states that.

What I'm getting at is that if they wanna discriminate, they are able to so long as the don't get any public money. By them getting public money and still freely discriminating, there is a legitimate case for the ACLU or another org to come in with lawyers in tow.

But it is a Baptist college, and the Southern Baptist Convention ain't known for its tolerances. This one's gonna go to the courts, you watch. And several possible outcomes:

1. Court forces the college to not discriminate (most likely) if they want public money.
2. College refuses public money and sticks to its guns (least likely.)

If outcome 1 happens, then watch the university adapt a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in a NY minute.

(for political/policy discussions, I'd advise keeping 'em off here, though, they usually turn into a flamewar on most forums. www.npboards.com is good for that stuff.)

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 04-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Actually, Jamie, its pretty clear: The University CAN discriminate against certain people but ONLY if they are not receiving governmental money. Bob Jones U clearly states that.
I understand that. What I'm saying is that in this case they ARE receiving money. Therefore, this case doesn't qualify for legal discrimination.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #16
Joker

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Apr 13 2006, 02:44 PM
I understand that. What I'm saying is that in this case they ARE receiving money. Therefore, this case doesn't qualify for legal discrimination.
[snapback]112239[/snapback]
Then in that case we are on the same page!

Old 04-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #17
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

How boring.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #18
nedarb5
Members

up here in alberta king ralph (thats what we call him) is finally leaving. what a guy. he was an alcoholic for a long time and went into a homeless shelter yelling at the bums, hes done alot of other shit, but hes just kinda a fuck up thats funny to hear about.
nedarb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #19
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I'm glad I live on the left coast where the only people who are discriminated against are straight white males
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by nedarb5@Apr 17 2006, 01:02 AM
up here in alberta king ralph (thats what we call him) is finally leaving. what a guy. he was an alcoholic for a long time and went into a homeless shelter yelling at the bums, hes done alot of other shit, but hes just kinda a fuck up thats funny to hear about.
[snapback]112774[/snapback]
Well, regardless of his personal views, he did do amazing things for Alberta's economy and for their social systems and infrastructure. I can remember noticing such an incredible decline in the quality of roads the second I crossed the provincial border between Alberta and Saskatchewan because the province is so flush with cash.