Travelling usa? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > U.S.A.

U.S.A. Hollywood, NYC, baseball, The Grand Canyon, East coast vs West coast, Starbucks, The Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders, and more...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-10-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
DarylS
Members

Hi

Could i have some help please? Im Kean on traveling USA but would like to know what it like ?
how long should i go for and how much would it cost me? could i work while im out there?

I dont want it to be a trip where i save and come home when the money runs out so to speak, ID like to maybe work out there to while im traveling?

im open to sujjestions on places to travel, could be anywhere aroun the world,

am i correct in thinking USA would be an expensive trip? would traveling a different part of the world be better for me?

as you can see i know nothing about traveling so i need to gather as much info as possible

ill be back soon with more questions!

tanks for your time
DarylS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
futboller
Members

Send a message via AIM to futboller

What time of year were you thinking about going, and which part of the US? In warm weather there are lots of ways to save money on the trip. The trick is, though, that unlike Europe we have horrible public transit, so you'll either be spending a ton on trains, or flying, or have to rent a car.

Pretty sure you can't work without a visa. You can obviously find work but if you get too far from day labor or migrant work -- neither of which are particularly fun -- you might risk getting sent home.

Any other Americans know anything about that?

Travel::Blog
futboller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
DarylS
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by futboller@Apr 10 2006, 01:14 PM
What time of year were you thinking about going, and which part of the US? In warm weather there are lots of ways to save money on the trip. The trick is, though, that unlike Europe we have horrible public transit, so you'll either be spending a ton on trains, or flying, or have to rent a car.

Pretty sure you can't work without a visa. You can obviously find work but if you get too far from day labor or migrant work -- neither of which are particularly fun -- you might risk getting sent home.

Any other Americans know anything about that?
[snapback]111492[/snapback]

hmmm, i dont fancy spending to much on transport

how top get a visa?

maybe i need to think about different countrys? i really dont know where to start
DarylS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

You can easily find under the table jobs around the US, probably working in restaurants or bars. Or, as said, you could do labor work. I'm not sure about getting a working visa here. We're having this huge immigration issue, so I'm not sure what that's doing to the processing of it. This site may have more info.

Where are you coming from? That'll make a difference in how expensive it'll be to you.

Our public transportation isn't *that* bad provided you plan on staying in larger cities. We have bus and train passes. It's not quite as fast or efficient as Europe, but hey. If you want to get off the beaten path, I'd recommend renting a car which can be done relatively cheaply if you book ahead through a site like Hotwire and are over 25. The US is a large country and there is actually a lot to see. To the west, there's the infamous California, Las Vegas, beautiful mountains in the Washington area, desert, coasts, Grand Canyon among other things. In the middle, we have Chicago, some beautiful scenerey, Texas, the Mississippi River, etc, and the east where you'll find Florida (come on, who doesn't want to go there?), lots of beaches, Washing DC, New York, and so on.

So, give us some more info and we'll be very happy to help!

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

apart from the cities, the "nature" sites in the US are well worth seeing (ie Grand Canyon, etc).

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
mangojuice
Members

Send a message via MSN to mangojuice Send a message via Yahoo to mangojuice

I'm from the SF bay area, and I have been on many road trips throughout the US. Driving is definitely my suggestion. It's a great way to see unexpected things (like the place I like to call the "fiberglass animal farm" north of Milwaukee. This place had tons of life sized (or bigger) fully-synthetic animals and such.) I'm not sure about the cost of renting a car, as I never had to pay the bill for it. Also it's nice to be able to sleep in your car if need be, saves on the cost of hotels/motels. And you can easily haul camping gear.
mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
futboller
Members

Like these guys said, outside of the big cities with good transit is some of the best stuff in the country (Grand Canyon, California's National Parks, Badlands, Mountains, Rivers, you name it) and that will probably require renting a car. But like Mango said, you can sleep in the car or in most places you can get a campsite for no more than US$20 (usually more like US$10) and park or pitch a tent. (Or just use a big store's parking lot.)

But if you don't go in for all that nature stuff, there's good transit within any city of any size here, and between most places in the dense parts of the East and West coast. It's just the gaps in the middle that get tricky.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
mangojuice
Members

Maybe check out Greyhound buses as well, if you're not into driving. I have never ridden on them, and have heard that they have some sketchy characters on them sometimes, but I have also heard that it is cheap. The badlands are really cool (except when driving through them in the beginning of August in a car with no air conditioning). Other interesting sites include the great lakes, Wall-Drug (especially during Sturgis-time), and the south-west desert (I am actually heading down to Phoenix, arizona on Friday to visit my bro). There are always intereresting things to see.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Hey Daryl...
Given a choice between bus or train, I prefer traveling by train...the train offers a lot more room, better scenery, and not as many sketchy clientele. I recommend getting an Amtrak pass. You're lucky because you're from outside the US/Canada, so an Amtrak pass is actually much cheaper for you. Amtrak is the national rail system in the United States. It doesn't cover everywhere, but you can definitely travel between larger cities. As well, the cross-continental trains can offer gorgeous scenery. Here's a map of the routes on Amtrak...

Residents of countries OTHER than the United States & Canada (that's you!) get a better deal on Amtrak passes. Below is a price table and a map that corresponds to the regions listed.

Hope that helps! Let us know the places you're thinking of traveling to in the United States and when you want to travel...we can offer more suggestions.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
like the place I like to call the "fiberglass animal farm" north of Milwaukee
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH! WHERE North of Milwaukee????????????? Are you talking about a town near the Minnesota border (Sparta/Angelo)???? If so, how the hell did you find yourself there!? Tell me more, I need to know if you're thinking of where I think you're thinking.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
futboller
Members

Wow they get a good deal on Amtrak passes.

Both of the middle routes going cross-country there offer incredible scenery. I can't vouch for the other two, but I'm sure others here can. Seattle at the end of the northern line though is a great city and I'd definitely recommend stopping by.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
astro25e

It's unfair how cheap the Amtrak is for visitors!! wow, i'm jealous, because when i've taken it, it was pretty damn expensive. I'd say that's a good deal definately. I'm being biased when i say this, but you sould definately try to get to chicago or another city in the middle of the countryy. New York and L.A are amazing places, but Chicago is better than both of them(no offense to everyone else who is about to slap me for saying that!). It's cheaper(not that much) and the people are friendlier for the most part. Seriously, it's just better, i'll show you around if you want.

Also, i reccomend the train route that goes through Colorado. it's gorgeous and you go through a great part of the Rocky Mountians. They are one of the best things the US has to offer. Have a swell time in the states!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #13
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I've used Amtrak for a round the country trip, loved it. I went from Arizona to Florida, up the east coast and then inland to Chicago, along the northern route to Seattle, then through Colorado back to Chicago, and south on the "City of New Orleans", to N.O., and then north to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (There was a point to that stop.) It's an incredible way to see the country, and you really get a sense of the vastness of the land that you don't get at all from flying, and I think you don't get so much from driving (especially if you're on the interstates) because you can't see as far, and you have to concentrate on the road. On the train, you can go up into the observation car at night, crossing Texas or the northern prairies, and just be blown away by the "dark vast" (Becket - heard that quote recently, have been wanting to use it.)

Driving can also be cool, especially if you're able to get out into the real country, away from the interstates. They're great for getting from a to b, but what a waste to see mile after mile of concrete and fast food joints, and never the real country.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #14
mangojuice
Members

The so-called "fiberglass animal farm" was, as I said, a little north of milwaukee. My dad and I took a day trip away from Milwaukee (in milw. for a game convention) and rented a car. We probably drove about an hour, maybe a little more. This place was weird, it had a 6 foot tall chicken (a mighty big cock...you could say). It also had a rusty life-sized pink panther, many lifesized zoo animals (hippo, giraffe, elephant). Also had a huge motorcycle, which was very difficult for 5-foot-1 me to get on...

http://www.imgdump.net/images/s2_e7300370dac.jpg

Oh it also had a billboard advertising it, with the slogan "where the heck does he get all this stuff?"

definitely one of the more random places I have been.