Vaccines - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

When should I plan on getting my vaccines?
Leaving for Central/South America in September...then to Australia on my way to S/E Asia, and Europe....

Any thoughts?

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
PlayPal
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

Ask yer doctor. If your in college, they probably have a travel abroad type checkout thing that isn't too expensive too. That's what I did for Peru.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Hmmm, some may have an "effective" period - I mean, you have to get them a certain length of time before hand (I think malaria may fall into this category - don't know if you need that), or may need some kind of booster. Definitely, check with your doc, telling him when you intend to be where, so he can be sure to get any that need a longer time to become effective. I'd check rather soon, since you're leaving in the not too distant future. Enjoy that visit!

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

This is a great site to get info on vaccines. My doctor actually uses this site to verify shots he gives travelers:

CDC Travel Vaccinations

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
sarg123
Members

I just got my vaccines for central america yesterday and I leave two weeks from today. Hepatis A is suppossed to take a month to become fully active, but the doc said I was fine with two weeks, typhoid is also two weeks and for malaria its only a week in advance for your first pill.
But be prepared to pay a pretty penny for your shots, I was dumb and didnt think to get them when I was up at school in Canada where it would have probably be cheaper, now I am thinking i am going to have to cut back since I wasnt planning for the costs.
sarg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
astro25e

Quote:
Originally posted by LiveFreeorDie@Apr 7 2006, 11:28 AM
This is a great site to get info on vaccines.* My doctor actually uses this site to verify shots he gives travelers:

CDC Travel Vaccinations
[snapback]111054[/snapback]
I must agree, i just went to a study abroad orientation today, which is pretty pointless because it just talkes about culture shock, how not to be the typical ethnocentric american, and so on. but one cool thing was they had a list of vaccines for each region, which they got off the CDC site.
Since you're going just about everywhere, you'll probably need a few shots. and dont wait too long and get them at the same time. if you get like 14 vaccines in a period of a couple months, it seriously overload your body. at least thats what my nurse friend told me, and it makes sense to me!
sounds like a kickass trip though, enjoy!
Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I'm hoping my insurance (while I still have it) will cover some of it. *please, please*. If not...

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Joker
You want fries with that?

Kindra-- check these folks out as well:

Capitol Travel Medicine

They are nearby you in Arlington. And FYI, their FAQ has the following:

Quote:
Originally posted by CTMedicine.com
Will my health insurance cover the cost of travel vaccines?

Most health insurance companies consider international travel an elective activity and therefore do not cover travel vaccines. It is always wise to contact your health insurance company for a claim form and submit it with the detailed receipt you will receive at your office visit for a possible reimbursement.
I'd contact your doc first, then these folks. If you can get away with getting your insurance to pay it, bonus. If not, go see 'em, its likely cheaper than if your doc does it.

As a precaution, I'd also suggest obtaining some travel insurance as a gap to cover you while abroad.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

^ Thanks Steve. I'm on it...

Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I just got some travel accines and here how it was handled by my insurance:

2 vaccines were shots given by my primary care doctor (Hep A & B ) and all I had to pay was my office visit co-pay (I have an HMO type insurance).

1 vaccine (Typhus) was an oral pill prescription I had to buy. Since I got a generic version, I had to pay my insurance standard prescription rate for a generic prescription, about $15 I think.

I have to go back to see the doctor for follow up shots for the Hep vaccines and am not sure if my Doc will charge me the office co-pay each time or not.

So, at least in my case, the vaccines were covered by insurance just as if I had some other illness I needed treatment for. Good luck!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Old 04-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Alright - not sure why the Robot dude showed up in my above post, there is supposed to be a 'B' where the robot is. I went back to see if there was a typo and there wasn't? Admins...any idea why the robot showed up??

Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Esterina
french touch

I just happened to see this post, Jamie. You'll understand quickly when you'll have a look at the smilies and their respective codes. The robot's one is... the B followed by ) With the addition of one space bar between B and the ), your B is now their for everyone to see.

p.s. For a faster response, you can write any of us when you find such problems...

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
Esterina
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie View Post
This is a great site to get info on vaccines. My doctor actually uses this site to verify shots he gives travelers:

CDC Travel Vaccinations
That's the best site, very complete and up to date!

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote