A Tiny Snippet Of My Day Snowboarding - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
space virgin
Yoda

Unhappy

The Very Interesting Day At Stevens starring Space Virgin and her friend Janna's batshit-crazy-skiier fiancee: [note: This is Space Virgin's approximately 10th day snowboarding ever in her entire life after starting this year at the end of January.]

[After doing some of the most challenging runs she has ever done before, egged on by said batshit-crazy skiier (and fortunately, Emergency Room Doctor), Space Virgin and Dr. Scott slide towards the (unknowingly to her) aptly named "Double Diamond" chair, which is perched up on a wooden thingamajigger, a type of thingamajigger that Space Virgin always eyes with suspicion and knows from experience that there are Interesting Times to be had while disembarking. They then get whisked away by said chair and sit in companionable silence for a few moments, enjoying the ride and the lovely fresh, slightly wet snow that is falling...]

Space Virgin [nonchalantly]: Sooo. Did you happen to see that sign posted on the lift shack? [Sign said EXPERTS ONLY: THERE IS NO EASY WAY DOWN OFF THIS LIFT with a striking diagram of two black diamond shapes.]

Dr. Scott [laconically]: Yep. And I was rather hoping that you hadn't.

[end script]

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? This is but a tiny portion of the fun that was had today. And yeah, 90% of it was fun.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

You make me hurt justs thinking about it.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #3
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

I went snowboarding once...if falling down Mount Hood and getting minor frostbite counts...

Good on ya, girl
Old 04-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Way to go; I`ve never tried it and have always stuck to skiing...

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Closest I've come is sandboarding in the UAE. So, how does the snow taste there, Jeanie? Anything like the sand I had for dinner in the dunes?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
space virgin
Yoda

Actually, I really didn't fall so much, which was surprising. It just took a while to get down the hill because I'm not so good at turning in narrow little paths between trees with moguls that come up to my chest! It was actually pretty fun though. I said to Mark "hey, would Janna do runs like this with you?" He didn't even skip a beat and said "No way." Janna has been snowboarding for 3 years.

Not as sore today as I thought I would be... makes me wonder if I'm in for it tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
futboller
Members

Send a message via AIM to futboller

That sounds like a great day! Congrats on tackling the double-diamond.

Travel::Blog
futboller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Joker
You want fries with that?

I only wish that the winter and my knee had been cooperating for some snow sports action this year, Jeanie. Have I Told you i hate you recently?

BTW, the ONLY way I ever got good at skiing was to ski with guys far and above better than me that would drag me onto the tougher slopes. Nothinh builds confidence like conqering it!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #9
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

I'm the same with my knee... when I get it re-constructed (and yes that will be my second knee reconstructed) I"ll be able to give"R hard on the slopes again.. but not until that's done.

SV you're day sounds perfect to me.... I LOVE tackling slopes that are probably way above my experience level... and I'm pretty good (not expert but definetly advanced) and as long as you make it down in one piece (which isn't always the way I make it down) your good!!

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
space virgin
Yoda

Heh. I didn't have any yard sales, at least! Been doing mostly long, somewhat steep blue cruisers before this, with the occasional short foray into (single) black diamond territory (usually by accident)... the moguls and I just aren't that good of friends yet.

And I'm going back to Crystal this weekend, this time with two REALLY crazy dudes from LA who will probably be on accelerants of some sort, knowing them.

Good news, folks. I'm hardly sore at all. Maybe the kicking-my-own-ass-at-the-gym sessions are paying off.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Sounds awsome!! I'll have to try snowboarding some day....i've just gotta find some snow
Old 04-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #12
thekid
T-PUNK RANGER

today was day nine skiing in a row! havent made it that far in a while. i leave for a road trip to big white tommorrow (anyone ski here?).

remember to keep pushing yourself. hit the black dimonds for long enough and those blue crusers will look like greens
Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #13
space virgin
Yoda

What I know about Big White is that I've only heard GREAT things about it. You'll have a great time!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
space virgin
Yoda

Question

Update:

I went back to Crystal Mountain today. (The place in the "Pretty Pictures of Mt. Rainier" thread, but there were no pretty pictures to take because it was a freaking WHITE OUT. But I digress.) Somehow I got lost and ended up on a 10-foot wide cat trail with a cliff above me and a cliff below me. (For the record, I'm not the biggest fan of cat trails even when they're 20 feet wide.) I do not know how this happened. This lovely little trail opened out onto a double diamond run with waist-high moguls called-- wait for it--

The Exterminator.

I am not making this up.

That is all.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
futboller
Members

Send a message via AIM to futboller

Wow. How'd it go?

Travel::Blog
futboller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #16
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Wow SV, sounds like you had a fun time! I'd probably die if someone did that to me. I've decided I'm a *little* accident prone...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:05 AM   #17
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Alright, all this talk of riding is driving me nuts. I haven't been in over 4 weeks... this coming weekend, though, watch out! Jeanie, I'll throw myself down a double-diamond just for you. They say misery loves company...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #18
space virgin
Yoda

Aw, how sweet!

On either Friday or Sunday I'll probably throw myself down a hillside too. Whether or not it's a double diamond is a different story...