Storage For Your Stuff While Gone - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
twisted_tbar
Members

Send a message via MSN to twisted_tbar

Okay... since some threads die off quickly here, I'm gonna have to post this again
Sorry ppl, can't get rid of me that easy
...what are your thoughts on storing your car while ur gone? I am aware of the fact that it's gonna need some maintenance if it's for a long time , and needs to probably be left on jack stands, but would u do it or would u go thru the hassle of selling it and buying another cheap car when back home? The thing is that I pick my cars carefully... look for a month or so 'till I find what I want, not too sure if I want to go thru with this everytime I come back home. I also drive alot and very far sometimes and couldn't rely on public transport (of course i'm a li'l lazy too ) 'N also, what do u do with all ur stuff while travelling? Self storage? do any of u have a self storage place that u'd recommend in lower mainland? How much are they usually anyway?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by twisted_tbar@Mar 28 2006, 02:23 AM
Okay... since some threads die off quickly here, I'm gonna have to post this again
Sorry ppl, can't get rid of me that easy
...what are your thoughts on storing your car while ur gone? I am aware of the fact that it's gonna need some maintenance if it's for a long time , and needs to probably be left on jack stands, but would u do it or would u go thru the hassle of selling it and buying another cheap car when back home? The thing is that I pick my cars carefully... look for a month or so 'till I find what I want, not too sure if I want to go thru with this everytime I come back home. I also drive alot and very far sometimes and couldn't rely on public transport* (of course i'm a li'l lazy too* ) 'N also, what do u do with all ur stuff while travelling? Self storage? do any of u have a self storage place that u'd recommend in lower mainland? How much are they usually anyway?
[snapback]109262[/snapback]
Storing a vehicle in a self-storage place is going to cost you a few hundred a month...so you have to weigh the value of your car against whether you're willing to pay that much to keep it. If you're going away for a month, sometimes it makes for an acceptable option (especially places like Public Storage that give you your first month's rent for $1)...however, especially long journeys will be very expensive. As it goes with vehicles, storing it with family or trusted friends is the only truly cost-effective option.

As for personal belongings...personally, I have non-essential belongings in Saskatoon, a suburb of Chicago, and on Long Island in New York...all stored at family & friends'...as for my essential stuff that can't come on the road with me, I have a storage unit in lower Manhattan that costs me a total of $39.00/month. Every location differs...do a little Googling for your local area.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Yup, did the family/friend option. Stored my car at my parents (planned on selling it, but never did). Stored the stuff we didn't sell at parents and in friends' basement. Worked out well and didn't have to worry about the cost.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
twisted_tbar
Members

Quote:
Storing a vehicle in a self-storage place is going to cost you a few hundred a month
Whoooooooooooooooooooa maybe not then! The most I'm willing to pay for a car is 5G's. I guess selfstorage is not worth it unless you own a Murcielago! I think i'll just get my sister to drive it around...she'll be almost 17 by the time I leave
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I stored my car at my aunt's house. Her husband is (hopefully!) good about starting it and keeping it healthy while I am gone. As for the rest of my stuff, it is all in boxes and stored at my OTHER aunts house, in her basement.

I was one of those hopeful girls that had dreams of one day owning my own house and furnishing it with little things I bought through the years. I never did imagine that I would own a place in the Dominican Republic...and all my stuff stay in Canada! I think I am going to start to bring little things to furnish my place here in DR the next time I go home. I have a brand new George Foreman grill just waiting to get used!

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
twisted_tbar
Members

I don't have family here in Canada (other than my parents and siblings and trust me, there's barely enough room in our house for me!), lots of good friends tho. I dunno if it would be too much to ask them to store my stuff for a few months. What do u guys think? Maybe i'll bring it up in a conversation see how they react!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by twisted_tbar@Mar 28 2006, 07:39 PM
I don't have family here in Canada (other than my parents and siblings and trust me, there's barely enough room in our house for me!), lots of good friends tho. I dunno if it would be too much to ask them to store my stuff for a few months. What do u guys think? Maybe i'll bring it up in a conversation see how they react! *
[snapback]109390[/snapback]
It's easy. Tell them that after one month of storing your stuff, they earn a case. After two months, it becomes a 2-4. After three or four, a Texas Mickey.

That should make them throw open their garage & basement doors, don't you think?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
twisted_tbar
Members

that never occured to me that's genius xanthuos
Old 03-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by twisted_tbar@Mar 28 2006, 07:53 PM
that never occured to me that's genius xanthuos
[snapback]109393[/snapback]
you know, i have my moments

gotta figure in the end, with a 2-4 being around $35...that's like $16 a month, but you can probably store more at a friend's place that has an empty basement than you could in a 5x5 storage unit that costs at least $40 a month.

by the way, since i am horribly bad at welcoming new folks...welcome to travelpunk.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
twisted_tbar
Members

Quote:
gotta figure in the end, with a 2-4 being around $35...that's like $16 a month, but you can probably store more at a friend's place that has an empty basement than you could in a 5x5 storage unit that costs at least $40 a month.
I'll work around that $16 versus $40... savings of $24 amonth=luxury suit in a hostel for 1 night

Quote:
by the way, since i am horribly bad at welcoming new folks...welcome to travelpunk.
thanx
Old 03-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

It's amazing where people can find room to store stuff. My husbands parents live in a TINY 2 bedroom cottage - not enough room to swing a cat - and they still managed to hold on to a carload of stuff for us. I didn't realize how much they'd crammed on the front porch! If you can split it up between people, especially if there's basements, attics, porches, sheds, etc, they'll probably barely notice.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #12
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

I am in a constant battle not to accumulate more junk and get rid of more nonessentials. I hate useless clutter and I love space. Ebay is my friend...

But sell my car? H3ll NO! It's family!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Mar 29 2006, 11:43 AM
not enough room to swing a cat
[snapback]109475[/snapback]
Who swings a cat?

hehe. I don't think I ever heard that expression but I like it. I will try it out at my next PETA meeting.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

haha swing a cat... totally reminds me of that commercial where the cat grabs a string on the ceiling fan...

Anyways, you can also always ask your friends if anyone wants to rent your car for the time your gone. I'm sure they could get insured no problem.. then the car would be kept running and also be there when you get back...

All my stuff is Ikea as well... so when I go I just pack it up and toss it into my parents garage... we've also used neighbours garages.. we live in a wicked community where quite often people have more space than they need... Like the couple who had a house built and moved into it A YEAR before they sold their old house.... instant storage

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote