Wits/Common Sense? Are we sure we have it? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Okay....so, this new t-punk THINKS she has her "wits about her".....but....can we make a list of those important common sense things that people (especially women) travelling alone need to practice?

Could be a good reality check for some of us new travellers who THINK we have common sense.

p.s. I grew up in Utah (no I'm not mormon)...I mean come on...I could be lacking.

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Whenever carrying a bag (daypack, purse, etc) keep a hand on it at all times. When sitting down to eat, don't let your guard down. Put a foot through the strap. Any moment of unawareness could be the moment when your bag is stolen.

Do not wander alone at night after drinking. Your guard is down and so are your inhibitions.

Women are generally seen as more sympathetic. People will try their sob stories to get money or set you up for a robbery/pickpocketing, and if you even acknowledge them in the slightest, they'll be all over you. Be a cold hearted bitch when it comes to these people.

Act confident, even if you find yourself in a nerve wrecking situation. Walk with your head up and seem/be very aware. Make that very apparent.

If you feel threatened, like someone's following you, turn around and make eye contact with them. Let them know that you realize their prescence. Try to stay in well lit, populated areas.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
space virgin
Yoda

Do not let any of your drinks out of your sight for even a second. It's quite likely that if you're even moderately attractive you will be propositioned (in one way or another) by various and sundry types of men while walking down the street. Just ignore 'em, they're generally harmless and will eventually go away. Try not to wear really flashy/sexy/flesh-baring clothes when out and about. Save it for clubbing, unless you enjoy being stared at and followed down the street. And for god's sake try to dress somewhat modestly-- meaning shirts with sleeves, even if only short sleeves, and no shorts / no bare midriff-- if you're planning to go inside any religious sites like cathedrals. It's just a respect thing.

Try to keep a level head (har har) about shagging whilst staying in hostel dorm rooms-- meaning try to be respectful of other people sleeping. And it may not be the best idea in the world to hook up with one guy while another guy you've already shagged is [theoretically] sleeping in the bunk across the room. Unless he's busy with someone else, that is.

Try to get out of the backpacker/hostel mentality and meet some local people. Don't get me wrong, hostel life can be big fun, but your trip will be much more interesting if you soak up some local culture even if it's just sitting in a residential area park watching the neighborhood locals hang out and do their thing.

And most importantly: keep an open mind, don't assume that everyone (especially men) are out to get you because the vast majority aren't.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:16 AM   #4
expatben
lover of Germany

Make sure you know where your embassy is-you may need them. Also, photocopy your passports and tickets and leave them at home with a friend or family member incase anything happens to them whilst on the road.

Have fun and take pictures.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Women are generally seen as more sympathetic. People will try their sob stories to get money or set you up for a robbery/pickpocketing, and if you even acknowledge them in the slightest, they'll be all over you. Be a cold hearted bitch when it comes to these people.
this is something im certainly not sucker!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
~transgirl~
Members

I agree with the cold hearted bitch thing. you've got to be one and with no regrets!

I'm also a little nervous about my upcoming lone trip to NYC, although i've been out traveling lots in my life. Just not too much alone, and I'm used to my safe little Hawaii.

Also, "live by the sword, die by it". Meaning, if you hang out in shady places, with shady people, and go out drinking and walk around drunk by yourself in dark streets, etc.. You're only inviting trouble.
Being gullible around any ole good looking guy at the bar who so badly wants to be your "tour guide" etc.. yeah. trouble.
~transgirl~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Make sure someone at home knows where you are going to be. Keep them updated.

Stop drop and roll.

Have fun.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by kingcrazylegs@Mar 28 2006, 02:24 PM
Stop drop and roll.
[snapback]109349[/snapback]

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 AM   #9
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

A word on updating people- if I go a week or two without updating mum while Im overseas, she sends me an email threatening to contact the embassy if I dont write back saying Im alive and etc. I really really think she would, too. Its good though, I think. I mean, how many times have we heard of someone at uni being murdered and when their roommates were interviewed they said "oh yeah you know hadnt seen him for four or five days but we werent worried..." Anyway, I guess Im saying make sure there's someone back home who will kind of worry about you.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote