49 Days in 5 countries. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
wphsmike
Members

Send a message via AIM to wphsmike

Hey everyone. I know it's been a while since I posted last, because I've been so busy. I narrowed down our trip to just 6 countries.

These countries are:

Spain
Italy
Portugal
Czech Republic
Netherlands(Amsterdam)
Greece

I know every trip can't be complete without a trip to Amsterdam, haha. Anyways, where do you think I should fly in? I really want to aim for flying out of Rome, since most of our time will be spent in Italy. Keep in mind, I want to be in Spain for the Running of The Bulls. So, where should I go in each of these countries.

I've got 49 days for 6 countries. Would it be best to go, Amsterdam, Portugal, Spain, Czech Rep, Greece, Italy?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Question: are you going to be relying on rail passes or flying or both? Or are you asking US which you should use as well?

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
wphsmike
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by juliagulia@Feb 13 2006, 05:47 PM
Question: are you going to be relying on rail passes or flying or both? Or are you asking US which you should use as well?
[snapback]102424[/snapback]

I was thinking of just doing plane trips from country to country. Therefore, we have more time to spend in places and not much time spent on traveling.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

As for where to fly into/out of - go where it's cheapest! From the US, that'll often mean flying into/out of Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, but look for good deals to the other countries you want to go to. Flights are so cheap within Europe that it's pretty much OK to start anywhere.

I usually use London as a jumping off point, even if I don't intend to spend anytime in the UK, generally because I can get there cheaper than anywhere else and use/collect airline miles with Virgin. That's the beauty of Europe - it's so compact and easy to get around, that you can really maximize your cash in terms of getting there in the first place.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I'll search to see which flights are cheaper, but I'll need to know which airport you're leaving from, and the dates that youre leaving/coming back..

When exactly is the Running of the Bulls

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
The Sasquatch
TPunk Recognized

Its def. cheaper (most of the time) and faster to fly around europe, but keep in mind that if you should probly book your flights at least a week in advance to get them really cheap. and some of the airports they fly to are smaller regional ones in a town nearby (ex. girona for barcelona). albeit this only added an €11 bus ride, which still made it heaps cheaper than any other way, but it added another hour and a half onto the trip time. Def. not complaining cause all i have is time, but just something you should know. and even though i'm in europe right now during the slow season, i have still had trouble getting beds places. the generator in london seems to always be full on weekends (def. recommended if you like to party) and when i got into madrid a couple days ago from barcelona i could not find a bed. took me a while and after searching the web, showing up at some place, and then them finding me a hostel, i finally found a place to rest my weary head. kabul in barcelona is very central and easy to meet people, but don't expect a good night's sleep, and right now i'm in mucho madrid which is really homey, pretty easy to find, but smaller, not a party hostel. but when i arrived, the old dude took me to the kitchen for cake and coffee. and then the lady gave me a madrid guidebook with a map and tried to explain to me in spanish where to go and what not. i just nodded my head, but she was very sweet. anyways, my two cents. having a BLAST in europe. i don't know why everybody doesn't do this???????
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Since you're kind of planning to go here there and everywhere, sounds like flying is definitely the way to go between destinations.

As Omi said, Schipol is usually pretty cheap from North America, so with your list, I'd probably head there first, then fly to Czech, then south to Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Then back to A'dam. That makes a sort of vague circuit, though I don't know how it fits in with your dates as far as Pamplona is concerned.

Check out www.attitudetravel.com for a comprehensive listing of the low fare airlines in Europe. They also have some cheap transatlantic fares ($119 US one way), but I think that was into Frankfurt (Hahn? - I didn't follow it up, since I can drive to Frankfurt in two hours). Still, who cares, it's cheap.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:25 AM   #8
freakypete
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to freakypete

Yeah you do have to be careful with where you are flying to with the low cost airlines

the reason thats so cheap to Frankfurt Hahn is because its nowhere near Frankfurt! in fact its nowhere near anywhere to be honest. I think its something like 90+ miles away from frankfurt, with no decent rail connections

Pete
freakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

That's generally true of all the low cost fares - that they fly into obscure out of the way airports, I mean. But if you can get a transatlantic flight for $200, springing for $30 for a bus trip to a real hub isn't so horrific. Also, low cost flights also leave from those out of the way places, so if you can swing a connection several hours after your arrival, or the next day, it's probably worth grabbing an airport hotel room and bypassing the long journey into town. But be sure to leave yourself SEVERAL HOURS to make that connection, because there are always delays and usually you have to check in quite a while before low cost flights, and if you're not there during the check-in window, you simply do not fly.

Another good thing to know about using low cost flights to get around - a lot of the airlines charge a luggage supplement if you carry any checked baggage, and if it is over their weight limit (which is pretty low - 15 kilos for Ryanair Riga to Hahn, for example) you have to pay an exorbitant excess fee. BE SURE TO CHECK THAT BEFORE BOOKING!!!!!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
wphsmike
Members

Wow guys, lots of info. For those who were wondeing, I'm leaving Orlando, Florida (MCO) on June 15th, leaving Europe on August 3rd.

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to look into these sites and try to figure out how to get around and be in Spain for the Running of the Bulls.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
wphsmike
Members

Which sites usually give a good/cheap airfare from Orlando to Amsterdam on British Airways?

Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Go to BritishAirways.com and sign up for their mailing list. Then they'll send you their "exclusive offers" every week or two, which are generally quite good. They tend to be better for those flying from the west coast than the east, though, just so you know.

If you're going from Orlando, check out Virgin-Atlantic, as they just started a mini price war with BA. They'll fly you into London, and then you'll have to take BMI (one of their partners) into Amsterdam... that route should come up if you put the Orlando-Amsterdam trip into Orbitz.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote