Short trip??? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
ChevolDavis
Members

OK, I am a computer programmer in the U.S. I have a decesion I can buy a new car or go on a trip, since I have a 2001 VW Jetta I was thinking about a trip to Europe with my Fiancé. My work is very demanding I work in a University and a couple design companies on the east coast. So I think I can only go for about 2 weeks, if that. Would it be worth it? I am an ex- New Yorker whose family is from Jamaica, so being outside of the country doesn't bother me. Money is not a problem just time. I would like to go to London, Germany and Prague and a possible stop in Amsterdam, you know why. Do you guys think this would be a good trip? I don't know when I can get more time off, possibly never. I wish I could spend a couple of months but time is too short for me. This trip is short planned as well as luck would have it my schedule aligned with the stars and gave me an oppurtunity in March, which would leave me with less than a month to try and do some planning, but I am rather sparatic so maby this is a good thing. Anyways any insight would be appreciated, and thoughts are welcome.

P.S. anyone going to be in Europe around March???
ChevolDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

It's definitely worth doing, man... And once you do, you may find yourself addicted and wind up making more time to travel in the future. I work full-time in cubicle world, but ever since my first trip to the UK a few years ago, I haven't been able to stop planning (and actually going on!) trips - you WILL find a way.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
ChevolDavis
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Feb 6 2006, 03:38 PM
It's definitely worth doing, man... And once you do, you may find yourself addicted and wind up making more time to travel in the future.* I work full-time in cubicle world, but ever since my first trip to the UK a few years ago, I haven't been able to stop planning (and actually going on!) trips - you WILL find a way.
[snapback]101474[/snapback]

Cool, that's nice to know. Sucks about the cube life I ,just last year made it out of the cubes and into my own office. I still can see the cubes, but it is not the same. I just hope a week or two will be enough to have a nice trip. I know I will go on more, but as time permits.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

go for it man...
if not now then when? i think you sold yourself on the trip! haha..good luck and keep us posted with any questions you might have
Old 02-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

I live the cube life too. I went for my first trip last year and it was probably the best thing i have ever done. A car is just a car, and you already have a decent enough one to get around, but the memories and experiences you will have on your two weeks abroad will be priceless, so i say definately go for it dude!!!

Also, a 2 week stint in EU wont knock very much out of a new car fund, so you will still be able to get your car, but maybe just a few months later.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Should easily be able to do it, but you might want to drop one of the cities from your list, so you don't feel too rushed ("if this is Tuesday" syndrome). It may seem like "now or never", but I'm sure you'll have a week or two to travel at some time in the future, and you can even make a worthwhile trip in a week, if you just focus on one destination. I'd probably opt for Germany/Prague OR London/Amsterdam, just to cut down on travel time, and to give yourself more time to enjoy the places you are. Personally I wasn't enthralled by Amsterdam, and only needed a couple of days there, but I'm not interested in A'dam's recreational attractions, so that might be a factor. Prague is definitely worth a week, and March isn't a bad time to go, as you'll miss many (though not all) of the tourist hordes. I'd probably take the continental option if I were you - NY/London flights are plentiful and cheap, you could probably get away for a long weekend more easily than a two week trip.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Esterina
french touch

Hehehe, we are all travel punks here... I don't think anyone will advice you to buy a new car !

I second Tumblezweedz, your itinerary is too heavy. You'll come back home wondering what has happened. Only two weeks in Europe with a 2 day jet lag slowing you down a bit... If you insist in seeing more than one country, then something like Berlin-Dresden-Munich-Vienna-Prague (if you're lucky you'll have a transit in London long enough to get out of the airport) or London-Netherland will keep you all happy, and not exhausted !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
ChevolDavis
Members

I will keep that in mind, jet lag and travel times. I am only trying to spend a day in amsterdam. can I get from London to the Netherlands without having to take the Eurorail into France?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
freakypete
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to freakypete

yeah there are plenty of low cost airlines that fly between london and amsterdam

Pete
freakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
ChevolDavis
Members

Oh yeah? How can I find them, that seems as if it would save me time. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try and find one.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #11
freakypete
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to freakypete

I find expedia useful, as they give you the prices/details for nearly every airline (type london as the departure airport and it will give you the results for all 4 (or 5?) london airports, or type the airport name if you have a preference). but im not sure it includes all airlines in the search - i think easyjet for one can only be booked through their own website (see below)

but only find the details on their website, its probably much cheaper to book directly through the airline

BMI are pretty cheap and im pretty sure they fly direct to amsterdam from london

easyjet another low cost airline that does the route.

hope that helps

Pete

Pete
freakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
ChevolDavis
Members

Thanks for the help, not too bad $61 one-way to Amsterdam from London. Why does this seem cheaper than the Eurail? The Eurail said it would coust like $300 +. Am I looking at this wrong?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #13
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

That sounds plausible for the train as the channel tunnel can be pretty expensive, while the likes of easyjet have some incredible fares.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:19 AM   #14
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

www.attitudetravel.com also has info about all the low-cost airlines in Europe - there are also some cheap transatlantic fares listed.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #15
ChevolDavis
Members

Thank you all so much, I am delaying my trip another month to try to plan it better. You guys here have been more than helpful.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #16
aaa32
Members

i think you will have plenty of time to go and see some places. i was in europe for only seven days this past august, most time spent in italy, and i went to rome, pisa, florence, milan, paris, and venice.... of course, i'm young, only spent like a day in each city just to see them and i will be going back one day when i am older to spend more time in each city, but i had a blast, slept very little, traveled by myself, and saw many amazing sights
aaa32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #17
ChevolDavis
Members

OK, I bought the tickets!!! I leave March 25 get in London the 26. I leave from there on the 27 for the Netherlands, and my return flight isn't until Apr 1, then I fly back home on Apr 7. I figure I can travel to Germany from Amsterdam if I want. Thanks you all for the help and wealth of valuable information!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Good on ya!!! You'll have a blast!!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #19
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Congrats! Enjoy your first overseas trip.

My first trip overseas was pretty whirlwind, but I really loved it like that. Then when I went back, I spent more time in places I didn't get to see enough of and was able to skip the places where a day or two was plenty in exchange for something more exciting.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote