Kibbutz - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Middle East

Middle East See the Promised Land, the Red Sea, magnificient ruins and mosques, oil-rich metropoles. When you're done with that, go skiing and rock climbing !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

I might be moving to a kibbutz in a few weeks with a couple of buddies...has anyone in here ever done one?

Everyone I've talked to has said it's just an amazing experience...tons of awesome people and you always stay busy working and partying...

I already have all the info on it and just have to go sign up and do it, but I am just wondering if anyone out there has done this before

Spill the beans damnit!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

I'm pretty sure WWM has been to a kibbutz before... I'd love to do that some day! Have an amazing time!!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
Rozza
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

whats a kibbutz? is it like a commune?

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

awesome devon...
now you're goykibbutzim

doing the kibbutz thing is definitely on my "to-do" list and yes, Rozza, it's a commune basically.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Sounds cool, certainly worth trying out

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Sweet. Its on my list of things I have to do in the next five years. Let me know what you find out.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

so wat do they do at this commune thing? is it the same as a hippie commune?

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
space virgin
Yoda

^.... not exactly.....

Old 02-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #9
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@Feb 2 2006, 05:53 AM
Sweet.* Its on my list of things I have to do in the next five years.* Let me know what you find out.
[snapback]100905[/snapback]
From the info I got, there's one office that coordinates all kibbutzim in Israel...you go to this office (it's in downtown Tel Aviv) and they make calls to find open kibbutzim (there are new openings daily) and then they give you info on how each open one is set up and what kind of work they need...then you hop on a bus with your luggage and move to your new home for the next 2-6 months...or sulk back to your hostel and wait for a better opening.

I met a traveler from America who is doing just that...she has 90 days guaranteed to her on her birthright trip so she's using it staying in a hostel and constantly checking for openings at the place she wants every day or two.

My friends are shooting for one with an ulpan (hebrew language intensive), or one in Haifa near the beach. I speak hebrew the best out of my little group of friends so I don't really care about hebrew classes, especially since working at a kibbutz presents tons of opportunity to practice hebrew with or without classes...but my friends do, so whatever, yea?

Anyway, there are kibbutzim for all kinds of things--some do services, some industry, many have discos and parties as part of the services (haha..jeez - being a bartender as part of your volunteer work good luck beating down the rest of the volunteers to snag a job like that...it's probably close to impossible), and even some have spas--WTF right? haha...but most of it is agricultural work, either in fields or in greenhouses.

I'm shooting for field work, personally.

You work 8 hours a day, 6 days a week and in return get full room and board, plus a stipend. You really give more than you get, though. The idea is that you meet some AMAZING people every time and it's a true communal experience with direct democracy and everyone contributing to the maintenance of the society, and if you wanna learn hebrew and study at a kibbutz ulpan, you'll be pretty much fluent after you finish since you can use it at your work everyday.

Yea so, that's the basic info...feel free to ask if you wanna know anything else (logistics, money, websites with more info, etc)
Old 02-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
chelseafc05
Members

so you dont get payed to work?

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 02-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
space virgin
Yoda

^ As he said, you get room and board and sometimes (depending) a small stipend.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #12
chelseafc05
Members

wats a stipend?

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
space virgin
Yoda

Good grief, boy!

Old 02-03-2006, 03:11 AM   #14
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by chelseafc05@Feb 3 2006, 07:13 AM
wats a stipend?
[snapback]101141[/snapback]
Jail time.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
chelseafc05
Members

stipend

n : a sum of money allotted on a regular basis; usually for some specific purpose

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 02-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #16
space virgin
Yoda

^ Dude.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
chelseafc05
Members

^ what?.... thats wat it said in the dictionary link

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 02-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Goy, my time at Kibbutz Shoval in the HaNegev Desert near Beersheba was one of the most amazing, formative, important growth times of my life. I highly, highly recommend you doing this. Everything you said is right about the process, except they will likely "interview" you. Basically, just snow them like you would a job interview...tell them how you admire the Israeli people reclaiming the land, think that the kibbutzim are integral part of the social fabric of modern Israeli society, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, when I worked there, we only had 6-hour shifts, 6 days a week. And each month we accumulated "days off." You'd sandwich two days off around Saturday (your day off) and take a little weekend trip to Jerusalem, the Red Sea, wherever.

And the community among the foreign volunteers was great. A lot like here on Travelpunk, I'd say! You had some who were doing it for a handful of months, like me, others who were there on an organized stay of X Number of weeks, and still others that were chilling out and had basically kicked back from life and the Rat Race and general. Kibbutz life is very comfortable. You will find the time whizzes by there, and some folks find themselves staying much longer than they'd imagined...

Good luck, Goy, and keep us posted. You're an inspiration to Tpunkers back home, being over there in the "dangerous" Middle East, seeing it all with your own eyes...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote