Where were you 20 years ago today? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Joker
You want fries with that?

Mrs. Calamari's 1st grade class, watching the launch on TV.

There are certain events that define a generation- for my parents it was JFK's assasination, for their parents it was Pearl Harbor. For mine it was the Challenger and 9/11.

Where were you?

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

You know... I just can't seem to remember where I was twenty years ago... :-/

1986 is just a blur for me...

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
raysen
TPunk Recognized

20 year ago to the day I was in my mummy's tummy and will be for the next few months...until april 20th to be exact!Oh I remember it like it was yesterday! The good ol days hey?lol
And if one man can stand tall..
There must be hope for us all...
Somewhere, somewhere, in the spirit of man.
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
Joker
You want fries with that?

Youngins!

(GET OFF MY LAWN!!)

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
expatben
lover of Germany

I was 1 year old living in Ottawa. As for events that define my generation-I dunno, I cannot speak for my entire generation. But I will say the Gulf war 9/11 probably did not too mention the 2003 protests and the end to the Cold War.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

I was 1 yr 3 months and 19 days old....and probably playing with my lil blue piano watching sesame street

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I was one week away from being born.

Oddly enough I don't think my mom has ever mentioned the Challenger when talking about baby Amber. Weird.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
space virgin
Yoda

I was in the 6th grade and living an absolutely miserable life in Hayden Lake, Idaho with my (literally, evil) stepmother and stepsister.

Yeah, that's about as far into the subject as I'm interested in going.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I was in 3rd grade and was a quiet and imaginative young lad at school. We were living in Louisiana, and I spent my time away from school playing with my dog, playing soccer or baseball, catching crawfish, turtles, bugs, and other little critters. Life was quite grand actually.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I was 3 and a half and probably playing outside in the snow. No preschool back then - I stayed back with my stay at home mom while my older brothers went to school. Come to think of it, she'd be a few months preggo with my little brother!

I definitely think 9/11. That was really one of those days that I'll never forget the infamous "what I was doing when I found out."

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

20 years ago today...

My mom and I were living in a basement apartment a few blocks from my grandparents in Port Jefferson Station, NY. My mom had left my father shortly before my 2nd birthday in April 1985, so it was just me & her. I was probably causing her grief, as I did so well throughout my childhood.

Sometimes I wonder if the "defining moment" of our generation has happened yet. I belong to the "Millennial Generation," which includes those born from 1977 to 1995. One could say it's the "war on terror" including the attacks of 9/11, but I think much of the state of the world today is a result of how the United States has reacted to those attacks, not from the attacks themselves. It could be the end of the Cold War and the tearing down of the Berlin Wall. It could be Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

It could be something yet to come...
Old 01-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
Originally posted by Joker@Jan 28 2006, 01:20 PM
Youngins!
(GET OFF MY LAWN!!)

[snapback]100444[/snapback]

I'm not saying how old I was but I was in college. I had just gotten home from class & turned on the TV to see what turned out to be the explosion of the Challenger. Definitely something I'll not forget.

Many of my friends remember both Kennedys (that's JFK & Robert) & Martin Luther King, Jr. being assassinated & John Lennon being killed (which I also remember). All are defining moments for the generations who feel a connection to those who lost their lives.

I have to agree with Xanthuos, my "defining moment" could be something yet to come. For everyone currently living, who knows what tomorrow will bring. Hopefully peace, but you never know...

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Hmm, I was probably in preschool at 3 1/2. I think I went for two years. I was probably arm deep in glue at the glue table making stuff from cardborad.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

i was 6 years old living in Portland with my mum dad and brother....

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
bookofkels
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

i was 7 years old, in my final year at "infant" school (you did 3 years at infant school then 4 years at juinor school before high school!), probably speaking with a really strong cockney accent!, and about to partake in my First Holy Communion, damn i remember that as real scary, we where told we where to eat the body of christ!!, you try explaining that to a 7 year old...."no honey its not really human flesh your eating!"...........and all the while it tastes like rice paper..........really confusing times!, plus i went to a school run by nuns so we had so many, oh my god there where sooooooo many dummy runs on the whole recieving the bread!..............you would only understand if you had to go though it!!

But on another note, i loved and still do the 80's music, good times!!

Kel
Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #16
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

I was 2 years and 9 months and living in England with my parents and baby sister. Fun times!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #17
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

the world wasnt graced with my presence yet....

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:08 AM   #18
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I think Sgt. Pepper was teaching the band to play...no, that'd been more than 20!

Seriously, I was getting towards the end of college, probably pissing off folks with my relatively conservative columns in the university newspaper, The Lantern. I was probably wondering what I'd do to top 1985's five weeks in Scotland -- to this day, one of my most amazing trips...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

getting ready to be born
Old 01-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #20
golgotha
Members

I was probably saving old people from fires, or something like that. That's what 6 month olds do, right?
golgotha is offline   Reply With Quote