Hola Mi Amig@'s! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Buenos Dias...

Okay, I don't speak spanish....BUT, I will....soon. :D

I've only been lurking a few days, and am ready to join the convo's.

I'm a 26 yr old divorced gringa, who was able to walk away from the ordeal with a small chunk of change.
Now that I feel *mostly* recovered, I'm ready to start dippin' into that money (It's been sitting for almost 2 years now!)...especially now that I know what I want to do with it, which is to get out of the rat race for awhile- to gain some perspective and see the world.

Right now, I'm planning to quit my job, head to Guatemala for a few months to immerse myself in a language program...and then from there, I'm headin' south. Woop! Woop! I feel no time constraint....and, think I should be good-to-go for sometime in S.A.

There are a million things running through my head right now...EEK...I'm hoping to talk through some things with experienced independent travelers, put some of my fears to rest and learn tips n' tricks from others to prepare myself as much as possible for extended travel...

Anyway. Hi.

p.s. I don't smoke (atleast not cigs). I just thought it was a cool way to introduce myself.

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Tadpole
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Welcome to the boards!

Sounds like you are ready to travel.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
llemus7
TPunk Emeritus

Welcome to the boards

Ask away all the travel questions you have and you will get help.

That will be a great trip to Guatemala.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Joker
You want fries with that?

Bienvenidos a TravelPunk!

Reporting in from the Greater Baltimore (yah, right) Metro Area, and recently back from Central America, howdy!

Check out the various total immersion's out there. Some of the best in the world are the school at Cuernavaca, Mexico, and Monteverde, Costa Rica, too.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Gracias!! I appreciate the warm welcome...

I do believe I'm ready to travel...sortof. Hehe. So many things to do, and so many things to think about!

These are my "must see" countries (of course there are others I would like to see, and will most likely see while I'm there):

Guatemala
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Panama
Colombia
Peru
Brazil
Argentina
Chile
Cuba

Any red flags? I could possibly be leaving as early as June....may wait until August.
So...I think right now, I'm in the gather and collect info phase. Need to put together my game plan so I cover all my bases.

Are there other threads, or websites that cover "the game plan"...ie: These are all the things you need/should do(including time frames, visa info, etc) before you ditch your current life and trek off into the world...???

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Joker

I'd check out the climates of some of the countries before you plan anything. It'd be awful to be stuck somewhere during the rainy season!

This being said, www.globenotes.com/robandsara is the URL for some friends I met in La Fortuna that are doing the Central American backpacking thing....

Do a search here. The Visa issues shouldn't be a problem, as most Central American countries don't require a visa so long as you are in country less than 30 days.

Be prepared to budget tons of time for travel in between. IE: Bus. Public bus is the easiest and cheapest way to get around, but not necessarily the fastest. Its not uncommon to take a bus that goes 130km that takes over 5 hours. (think of the distance between Washington DC and Richmond, VA.) For that matter, expect to share a bus with livestock in Nicaragua!

Other than that, have fun, search around on here and ask questions!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 01-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Hehe...share a bus with livestock. Can't wait!

Thanks for posting your friends' url....

Any particular online travel journal site recommended over others? Are they easy to load pictures to while on the road?

Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Joker

Photobucket is easy and free. I use it (so does SpaceVirgin) and a bunch of others. You can remote login from anywhere.

Lots of internet cafes offered CD burning services, too. I could imagine that if you had enough, burning a copy and sending it home woulndn't be a bad idea, either.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Welcome

Spent some time in Belize and loved it - I am sure you'll enjoy it down there!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

welcome

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Thanks again for the "bienvenidos"...

Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

In Guatemala, a must see is the Mayan city of Tikal... it's a hella long bus ride, so be prepared, but worth every long drug out moment...

It was my first trip, ever, in 1979, and it hooked me on the travel thing, forever...

one note, though, my parents got Montezuma's revenge, cause the hotel we stayed at bottled their tap water... definitely bring some immodium with you, and I'd suggest a packable water sanitizer type thing - (I bought one that makes the solution from rock salt, water and electricity, guaranteed to kill everything, and unlike iodine, not harmful for long-term use)

Welcome, and keep us posted on your travels

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Joker

Shit a few things to see along the way (how foolish of the Joker!)

Though my experience is limited to Costa Rica, I can tell you this: Once you cross in from Nicaragua, hit La Fortuna, and Gringo Pete's. Try and do the Baldi Hot Springs tour, and if you're lucky, you'll see the lava flowing from Volcan Arenal (locals will try to drive you there for as much as $25. You can haggle them down to $10-12.)

Then, booking at Pete's, take the "jeep-boat-jeep" or sometimes called "taxi-boat-taxi" to Santa Elena/Monteverde. Stay at Pension Santa Elena there, and trust me here: wait until you get to Santa Elena if you want to do a zipline tour. I did the Selvatura Park tour, and then hiked around its suspension bridges for a couple hours afterwards...

If you are interested, I've finished my blog with detailed photos/descriptions.... there's links to a bunch of places there. Misadventures of a Crazed Kitchen Pirate

Old 01-31-2006, 06:32 AM   #14
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monsignor@Jan 27 2006, 05:10 PM
In Guatemala, a must see is the Mayan city of Tikal... it's a hella long bus ride, so be prepared, but worth every long drug out moment...

Welcome, and keep us posted on your travels
[snapback]100356[/snapback]
I've read some amazing things about Tikal....definitely will be visiting. **Note to self..."hella long bus ride"....I'll remember that!

Old 01-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #15
Joker

Quote:
Originally posted by KindraDC@Jan 31 2006, 07:32 AM
I've read some amazing things about Tikal....definitely will be visiting.* **Note to self..."hella long bus ride"....I'll remember that!*
[snapback]100714[/snapback]

Everywhere in Central America is a "hella long bus ride." Just don't do it while hungover/drunk. Ask Omi and I how we know. :D

Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Joker@Jan 31 2006, 02:05 PM
Everywhere in Central America is a "hella long bus ride." Just don't do it while hungover/drunk. Ask Omi and I how we know. :D
[snapback]100737[/snapback]
Is this story in your blog??

Old 01-31-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
Joker

Absolutely!

And quite a few more stories and pics

Old 02-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #18
travelpunk
Admin

Welcome, Kindra! Good job for finally taking the plunge to travel !

My friends traveled through Central America and Mexico this past summer and had a blast. Wish I had the time to do the same trip .

Anyways, Welcome to the family !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #19
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by travelpunk@Feb 11 2006, 03:17 AM
Welcome, Kindra! Good job for finally taking the plunge to travel !
My friends traveled through Central America and Mexico this past summer and had a blast. Wish I had the time to do the same trip .
Anyways, Welcome to the family !
[snapback]102131[/snapback]
Thanks for the welcome!

I have a feeling this "family" will be great...

Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #20
Joker

Well, just like all families, we generally put the "Fun" in dysfunctional! :D