New dude from Vancouver Island - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
O-Face

Hey all,

Happened across these boards, and now I got like 20 damn trips I wanna take all over the world...you guys caused it so now you gotta help me with all your sage advice.

My story - I'm Colin, 23 yr old eng student at UVIC. Starting plans for europe in May-June 2007- yes thats a lot of planning time, what can I say, I'm an engineer. More urgently a spring break week this feb in NYC, hopefully. I'll be around bugging you guys bout all that.

Yeah so hi everyone, and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Colin
O-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

welcome

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Welcome new dude from Vancouver Island! You have come to the right place for sage-like advice. Anything you need to know can be answered here.

NYC is a great city, much of it seems to live up to the stereotypes, but there is a gentler side to it. I have only been once, and have always wanted to go back. Hopefully at some point it will fit in the schedule.

Best of luck!

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Esterina
french touch

<span style=\'font-family:Optima\'>WELCOME ON TRAVELPUNK !</span>

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Adelaide
Members

Cool

Welcome Colin
I just drove across from Vancouver to Nova Scotia- grew up in Nanaimo and Vic.
Spent the last year in Europe-absolutely amazing, you're in for quite the ride. Trying to get down to NYC in the next couple months also.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

Boo Ya!!!

One more for the BC Team

Welcome to the Boads O-Face. There's a few punks here from various parts of B.C but currently Ontario has us out numbered
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Welcome to the boards dude. I've heard A LOT of good things about NYC, you'll have to let us know how it goes.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

You got like 20 trips planned.

PPPPFFFffffttttttt.... wait until it is actually near your 2007 goal. There will be like 40 of them.

Everytime I think of a place that would be cool someone comes on and posts about a city or even a country I have never heard of and adds another one to the list.

Welcome to the site and have some fun, there are a bunch of great people here.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Welcome! yup great to see another bc'er on the boards! And a Uvic engineeer at that! haha...
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
O-Face

Thanks for the welcomes, all. NYC trip has turned into Mexico, got the tickets yesterday. Flying in to Mexico City, bussing to acapulco, and I wanna hit Puerto Escondido-thanks LostFarmboy for the tips.

Adelaide - Van to Nova Scotia - sweet jebus that's a long drive, how was the trek across the prairies?

Oh yeah I'll elaborate on my travelling background....basically none. Been close to everywhere in BC, so I can offer advice on that, Yukon, Alaska and Alberta too. Been to a few places when I was young, too young to really count as travelling, but I'm damn ready to get out there. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by Adelaide@Jan 11 2006, 11:43 AM
Welcome Colin
I just drove across from Vancouver to Nova Scotia- grew up in Nanaimo and Vic.
Spent the last year in Europe-absolutely amazing, you're in for quite the ride. Trying to get down to NYC in the next couple months also.

[snapback]98061[/snapback]
adelaide...whered ya get that name from?

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
O-Face

little update-thought I'd relay my ridiculous passport acquisition experience today -

now I understand it's not mandatory to have a passport between Canada-Mexico but it's recommended and as a first time traveller I'd appreciate the peace of mind. Who knows, I get a good tan and they decide I'm mexican and I'll live out my days in a mariachi band or something...

So I fill out the app on the Canadian passport website - which is a ridiculous affair, but beats standing in the passport office all day. Next step is printing app and gathering a ridiculous amount of verification materials to bring to the passport office. Keep in mind I'm cutting this way close to get my passport in time for our trip.

Snag #1 - no ink in printer. Easy enough, I can print it tomorrow at school.
Snag #2 - none of my damn profs will sign as my guarantor on the application - note that I've only ever been a student in this town, the ONLY people even close to being a guarantor are my profs, combined with the fact that I've only been here exactly 2 years, the minimum requirement for your guarantor to know you. These profs don't know me from a hole in the ground. I finally find one that is willing sign it I figure I'm set to head to the passport office.

Then comes snag #3 - Where the FUCK is my drivers license???? I have left it on the photocopier at the student copy center in our university!! At least 2 hours ago!! Fuck!! I'm fully aware that passport or no, a missing drivers license could seriously impact my travel plans....I've seen how long it takes to get those back, and I can't even pick up my passport, plane ticket nor get on the plane without it.

And in what I will take as a meaningful stroke of luck, when I get back to the seriously busy copy center I see that the coin machine on the photocopier I'd used is now out of order, and there's my license sitting exactly where I'd left it on the scan tray. I'd like to think that had someone found it they would have turned it in instead of keeping it as a fake ID for their little brother...but I will take this timely photocopy machine malfunction as a good luck omen at the beginning of my life as a traveller.

So after that I am ready to go drink, don't know if anyone will read this or find it interesting...but that was my day. Cheers,

Colin
Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
Jason_Europe
Members

Im Another BC guy from vancouver island.
Sooke though not victoria. I am also planning a trip to europe in 07 pretty pumped too hahaha. its a hell of a long ways away though eh. to long for me
Jason_Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

oh man ur lucky u found it... i wish i had your luck with my pack of smokes i left on the seat outside the shops......new pack aswell..

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
Adelaide
Members

Ha thats great you got it back, sounds like the panic i was in when i left for Europe last year...I think i may be the biggest procastinator EVER, I sent my Permanent Res. card application off a couple days before i flew out(you are supposed to have it with you when you leave the country), i was so desperate to get outta here i booked my flight before i got my Eurail pass or my PASSPORT! So the morning of my flight im waiting and waiting and i think 5 hours before my flight they both arrived! Yeah a little nerve wracking but i learnt my trip was definately meant to be!
By the way chelseafc05 my name comes from a road in England where my grandad was born...my dad lives in Adelaide AUS also.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #16
bookofkels
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

Welcome to the boards!!

Yea if you didn't have the travel bug before you came across this site then you sure as hell will after you join and read about other peoples travels

Oh and finding your license like that, i would say that was a real good omen, enjoy your trip, we'll want to hear all the details!

Kel
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #17
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Welcome!

Two Vancouverites in one day.....did someone say meetup?

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote