Want to see it all - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
eSper
Members

Send a message via AIM to eSper
Talking

I want the wind to blow and for my feet to take me where ever I may rome. I want to see everything there is to see in this wide World! I LOVE TRAVELING! Can you help me out a bit?

1) What are some of the top places I MUST SEE!s

2) Some of the Most Beautiful places you've ever seen while on the road.

3) Things that have SAVED UR ASS WHILE ON THE ROAD. (Gadget's, food's, Packs, Clothes)

4) I'm into Beach's, Islands, Mountains, Forest's, Warm places, Cities, I Would like to visit some small town's or Villiages in the middle of no-where and get that really creepy feeling that I don't belong there.... hehe

5) When I do Travel I have;
My Laptop (Powerbook G4 17")
iPod (60 Gig, Black)
Small 2 Person Tent (Fits in my pack, 4lbs)
Small Butain Stove (MSR Pocket Rocket)
Clothes...
I only Pack about 3-4 pair of UFO Pants & 3 Tee's, 7 Socks, 7 Underwears, 1 hat, 2 bandanna's, 1 small towel, 1 Small Shampoo (for washing everything... me & clothes), toothbrush and what ever other little BS I may need....

Any suggestions or Comments on what I pack???

6) Places I know I want to see...
Thailand
North Asia
London
Japan
Paris
Rome
Ejypt
India

Can anyone give me some insite....javascript:emoticon('')javascrip t:emoticon('')

eSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

Your feelings are the same as all of ours, my friend. When you say "North Asia"-- what do you mean by that? China? Japan? Mongolia? Russia?

Honestly, "The World" is such a large amount of, um, space to pinpoint just a few things. I'd suggest poring over lots and lots of books to narrow down your ideas a bit more. It's quite likely that your tent will be obsolete in dense places like Japan and Rome.

That said, a few things on my General World Travel Cannot-Miss List are:
- Visiting my friends in Egypt
- Spending a serious amount of time in India, not just the small corner of it I'll be visiting in October
- The deserts of Western China and the Silk Road; also the more Western edges of the Great Wall
- Iceland
- South America in general and the Andes Mountains in particular
- Oh, who the hell am I kidding-- everything.

The absolute best thing that has saved my bacon during any and all of my trips has been my common sense. And my passport.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Welcome

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
aSiAnRiCk
Members

Send a message via ICQ to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via AIM to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via MSN to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via Yahoo to aSiAnRiCk

Welcome to TP!

I highly recommend Amsterdam (NL)

For Asia, I recommend Bali (Indonesia) and Bangkok (Thailand ... going next week lol)

Quote:
Your feelings are the same as all of ours, my friend.
Very true, indeed! lol
Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

If you're going to Egypt, fly over to Jordan too if you can.

Petra is absolutely out of this world.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

welcome!!!!!!!
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Joker
You want fries with that?

Hiya. A few questions for you:

A portable stove is likely verboten in many areas, as well as traveling on a plane with one... so if you go internationally, you may wanna leave it at home.

A 17" PowerBook is a massive laptop to carry around with you (i have a 15"). With most hostels having internet access, and web cafes becoming widespread, especially in Western Europe, why bother carrying it around? It'll only weigh you down and become a potential target for thieves. If you are concerned about having space for pictures you take, invest in a card reader for your iPod. Makes life so much easier... IF anything, if you absolutely MUST take a laptop, a 12" iBook or PowerBook is FAR smaller...

As for the other suff, i agree, pack lightly! If you wear a Tshirt out, like Jake told me, "Throw it away, buy another and keep moving!"

Good Luck!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Yeah - a 17" PB is pretty insane to carry while traveling. Even my 15 gets a bit wieldy on certain trips, but the 17 I occasionally take is a heifer at best, even on short trips.

As for stoves on planes - you can take them, just not the fuel. So it's best to get one of the MSR (or any other brand) multi-fuel stoves and buy the fuel upon arrival at your destination.

In regards to everything else, we've got a zillion threads about them where people have written all sorts of good stuff - start exploring the boards and find a wealth of information here. Welcome!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Esterina
french touch

Hi there and welcome !

We understand how you feel... The Earth is such an attractive planet !

What I think :

1) and 4) There is no absolute must see. It all depends on your interest. You want to see the well known places, or the more discrete destinations. Your interest for mountains could lead you either to the famous Himalayas, or Alpes, or to the Tian Shan/West China in Kirghizstan for example. Warm Places + beaches + Thailand = Phuket, but less popular, Odessa in Ukraine. You do have to read a lot and know yourself.

2) Out of my experience, what took my breathe away : Annapurna mountain in Nepal, countryside in Laos, villages in the Maramures district (Romania). But, of course, every country has interests and beauty.

3) In my case, I'd say phrase books (a must, especially in remote places !), smiling and talking to locals, and the money belt.

5) -Like everyone said, the laptop wouldn't be that useful, unless you're a journalist having to write at night. Internet cafes are everywhere now. Remote villages may not have them, but they don't have internet access either.
-An idea to travel more light: if you go to Thailand or India (separate or same trip), you could buy the tent and stove once you're in the country, as the prices are so so so ridiculous. In Nepal, a lot of trekkers did that. For around $50, they bought winter clothes, backpack, sleeping bag, etc.
-A penkknife is very handy, especially if you plan on camping.

I hope it's helping a bit ! Keep us updated !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
eSper
Members

Wink

WOW!! People here are really Helpful!!! I didn't expect anyone to say anything to me.

THANKS ALOT ALL!!!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
Joker
You want fries with that?

Hahahah, we're one of the more friendly sites out there. I think its why more and more folks are registering every month!

I saw your checklist. Cool stuff. What sorta places have you traveled to?

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #12
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

welcome

no need for me to make comment... already been done

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
eSper
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Joker@Jan 7 2006, 01:22 AM
Hahahah, we're one of the more friendly sites out there. I think its why more and more folks are registering every month!

I saw your checklist. Cool stuff. What sorta places have you traveled to?
[snapback]97188[/snapback]
I've Only traveled in the states so far and to Mexico. But when I leave for Europe I don't think i'll ever come back!!! I think i'll die on the road ~ (I'll never stop traveling once I start!!)

Old 01-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
eSper
Members

Wink

This is some what of the guide i want to follow when i start to travel....

TRAVEL GUIDE

United Kingdom
Spain
France
Northern Italy
Austria
Czech Republic
Germany
Poland
Ukraine
Yugoslavia
Southern Italy
Algeria
Libya
Egypt
****Plane 2 Thailand****
Thailand & Singapore
South West China
Kyrgyzstan (Tien Shan, Mountains!!!)
North West China
Mongolia
Northern Asia
Russia
Japan
South East China
Philippines
Oceania Islands (Fiji, Solomon Island, Samoa)
Australia
New Zealand

Old 01-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #15
eSper
Members

Thumbs down

Oh yeah, almost forgot... when I get to Thailand I want to spend a summer - a year or maybe 2, living on an Island south of Thailand.

Build a little Cabin with my bare hands, catch my own food by fishing n hunting, also a little farming.

If anyone knows any Island that would be good for that I'd like to hear about it. I'm looking for something untouched by the human hand... Uncharted (100% ALL NATURAL) I don't have to be the only one on the island, but I don't really want to run into to many people!

[FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE "THE BEACH" YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT]