What was he thinking? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

Here's the story!

Sounds like a good adventure but also a huge death wish.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

kind of inspiring.... his cool

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 AM   #3
d_fresh
TPunk Emeritus

sounds like a dumbass to me.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

hehe reminds me of the other night. I was just finishing "Baghdad with a map and other misadventures in Arabia" which is really good by the way, but my friend saw me finish it and was looking at the title and just picked it up looked back at me and pointed just going, "No....No....No..." and I was like "I'm not going, I was just reading abo-" and he just gave me the final "No..."

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
expatben
lover of Germany

I agree its certainly an adventure but really, he should have thought this out more. I am just gad he is OK and not hurt.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by expatben@Dec 30 2005, 12:31 PM
I agree its certainly an adventure but really, he should have thought this out more. I am just gad he is OK and not hurt.
[snapback]95574[/snapback]

Maybe he did think it out somewhat. I mean he wants to be a jounalist it was hinting at. What better cover letter for a Journalist than the fact that he was 16 and went to Iraq solo for a story.

What about college? A kid who is a go getter enough to enter a warzone and put it all on the line to do waht he loves is the kind of student that might shine at your school because he is going to do anything to get to be the best in that field.

Book deal somewhere doewn the line?

Who knows where it could take him. Right now it is small hometown press, which maybe he will write a colum for about the trip and then next thing you know an appearence on the Today show or something. Could go anywhere.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Old 12-30-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I think he was really naive in a lot of ways, but also admirable. I sometimes secretly want to go to Iraq just to see what it's like there (from a civilian POV)... Not only did he survive it, but think about the story. I just be his parents are really pissed.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
wphsmike
Members

Send a message via AIM to wphsmike

I think it was a very dangerous thing to do. He practically put his life on the line. He didn't even know Arabic, of course he blended in but they sure as hell knew he was American. Maybe he can come home learn about the language a little, and then go back next winter.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Dec 30 2005, 01:17 PM
I think he was really naive in a lot of ways
He is supposed to be, he's 16. I mean granted he knows it was a huge risk and all but I know that beats my "How I spent my Winter Vacation" stories back then hehe.

I wonder what the school had threatened to expel him over though?

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Age aside, I think he went with idealolgical naivete that escapes most people. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it can be dangerous. That aside, I still slightly admire him.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #11
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Hell if he is naive for wanting to find out the truth then give me some more naiveness!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

i think its pretty cool that he took the risk of just going and not worrying about all the hostility going on there but i think it was stupid to hide from his parents. if you are that headstrong about anything and your gonna go anyway, why not atleast tell your parents that you are going
Old 12-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #13
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

I don't think he was naive for wanting to find the truth, I think he was naive for the way he went about it.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Sounds like a teenager - and a passionate one. He is safe now and has a story he can tell the rest of his life

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:14 AM   #15
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Uhm, my vote goes for incredibly dumb, actually. Not that the idea of picking up and taking off if not awesome, even at 16, however, his choice of destination shows a serious amount of ignorance about how the world at large works.

Since what he wanted to do is something that is not often attempted by professional journalists in this country, and even then, it's only done with serious precautions, by people who either speak the language and blend in with the locals, or have an interpreter and travel with security.

There are enough people out there that are looking for the opportunity to make headlines for their 'jihad' that he would have been far too tempting a target for his newsworthiness! The trip was ill-advised, and had he been successful, probably would have been disasterous.

Gotta give him kudos for having the balls to do it, though!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:53 AM   #16
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

There are so many beautiful places and things that I would love to see in Iraq as a civilian, but I can't believe that anyone would allow their child to depart on what might have been a deadly trip to someplace where it's not even safe for regular Iraqis to wander.

Obviously everyone on this website has the desire to travel and experience the world first hand, and probably developed that love at young ages. I am fully willing to admit that I was naive and ego-centric as a teenager. I honestly believed that nothing bad could ever happen to me because I was "so very smart and savy." Of course, that was complete bullshit. It's his parents that have serious explaining to do, in my mind. He had to have a passport, visa, shot record, letters and contacts to enter Beirut... things his parents would have had to provide for him to travel.

"I just want to hug him," was all his mom wanted? If that were my kid, I would want to slap the shit out of them for being so selfish and stupid.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #17
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I myself would never do that myself... And I do think the kid was a bit... reckless... but it does seem that he knew what he was doing..

An "intellectual" kid of 16 isn't dumb enough to think that Iraq is moderatly safe... He just seems passionate..

You also have to think that an article can always be biased. You can't judge a kid (or a person for that matter) based on one article...

And the mother could have been saying "I am dissapointed in him but I just want to hug him" ....

You never get the whole story from one article..

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #18
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Lump me into the "He was stupid" side. Personally, I think the only thing he was passionate about was letting people know about his publicity stunt. If he wanted to "immerse himself" and find out from the Iraqis what is really going on, why did he contact the Associated Press upon arrival? Give me a break...he was a glory seeker looking to make headlines. He's lucky he made it in THIS way and not another way...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #19
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Yes, he was stupid. But, I have to say, I applaud him for wanting to see something with his own eyes - there is all too little of that in America today. Iraq is a particular subject that is so buried under clouds of media and government spin, distortion and politics that it's nearly impossible to know the truth unless you are there. The kid is 16. Two short years from now he could be sent there with a gun in his hand and no one would blink an eye.

Also, I will take a rosy outlook on his approaching the AP and would like to think it is because he has aspirations to be a journalist and perhaps hoped it would earn him both contacts and recognition for a career in the future. Probably looks good on that college app as well. Not that any of those reasons are worth risking your life over, not even close...but hey...everybody thinks they are invincible at 16. If he were my kid I would have been absolutely horrified and deeply upset, but at the same time (and only to myself) marvel at his audacity, bravery and ability to move around the Middle East like he did. Hell, most of the 18 to 20 year olds that are new to this board are scared half to death to go to Europe on their own. I would also think his parents won't worry quite so much in the future at his ability to take care of himself as a young adult, though he certainly needs a bit of mentoring on judgement.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #20
noke_travel
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

While the kid took a incredible risk by going to Iraq, he also showed an exceptional amount of courage and resourcefulness. I commend him for doing it, I think it is an experience of a lifetime. I highly doubt he did it soley as a publicity stunt. I think he was just passionate about going and experiencing a situation firsthand. His sense of curiosity and adventure is great. I wouldn't personally do it but would backpack with a kid with balls like him anyday.

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote