What was your favorite sight??? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-20-2003, 10:34 PM   #1
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I have 2...The Coliseum in Rome, simply for the history of it, when I think of the world gone by, I think of this place ...

And the Vinyards of Central France, to look out and see the rolling hills is an amazing sight, its almost never ending

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:04 AM   #2
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

Wink

Mhhh....May sound very simple compared to CD's favorite sights, but mine would be when, each day, I drive on the bridge over Saint-Lawrence River after school to go back home, and it's sunset over the water...It's so shiny, calm, colorfull...it makes all my problems go away!

Also, when it's very early (like 5AM) and I go to work in the forest, there is sometimes a white fog lingering around the mountains and hills, moving slowly around the tree tops and disapearing when the sun goes up, leaving dew on every little stem...The world looks so beautiful and fresh, with the birds signing and all this water evaporating!
Old 11-21-2003, 06:10 AM   #3
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd

Wow, that's a great shot of the Coliseum, CD!

Sounds "delightful" Mocsy - I think you need to take some pics and post them here for us! A pic is worth a thousand words..! :D
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:53 AM   #4
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I agree voyd, a pic is worth a thousand!!!

Moc take a good pic of that and get it on here!!!

Old 11-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah sure! Can you imagine me stoping my car in the middle of the bridge (it's like an highway!) and taking pictures!!! hahhaah! No, you'll have to see it for yourself...

Alright, I found a few pictures on the net, but it's not even close to what I see when on the Bridge (There are 2 bridges, I use the white one: Pont Pierre-Laporte)

Bridges at night
Québec Bridge, at night
A few pics of the 2 bridges...
A few live trafic webcams
Old 11-21-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd

Wow! Purdy! It's huge too!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

Thanx Voyd!!!
Yeah, it's huge...But still too small for rush hour!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #8
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Good question, CD!

My favorite sight in the whole wide world, eh? I would say that Petra in Jordan is up there...

Also, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and -- believe it or not -- a simple sunrise I saw two decades ago. I was a fresh-faced backpacker on his way overseas for his first trip. I couldn't sleep, so partway through the flight raised my window shade and watched sunrise above the clouds. The sky went from black to deep blue, then to purple, then split into bands of medium blue, purple and midnight blue. Slowly, the entire rainbow appeared, oranges and rose reds, all in an incredibly vibrant technicolor. Two decades ago and I still remember the beauty of it.

What a way to start off a life of travel!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #9
wong name
Members

Question

well mine changes like the wind, but since i cant leave the usa, ( something about being wanted in 28 countries --blah, blah.... ha,ha --kidding ) this year its the san juan islands, i love foggy oceans...wish i couldve seen a whale though ( not sure how 2 post pictures on here ) ....but i my favorite places are usually national parks or forests......this summer was it was the black forest..but it changes so much im not even sure what i like.....its all so confusing. i find it hard to stay in one place because there is so much 2 see....
Old 11-22-2003, 02:56 AM   #10
Columbia
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

Hmm...well considering my sights have been limited to BC and Alberta only, I don't really know. This could change but for now it'd have to be....Driving through Rogers Pass. Rockies! Yay! Well thats one, I can't describe it. Um, also the view of Kalamalka Lake from any house in Oyama, cause you see the orchards and farms all over the plateaus and then the mountains behind them...a beach in Victoria, which wasn't so much a beach as it was a sandy spot the size of a living room surrounded by big rocks and trees..And Westwold, especially after it's rained. Ha! Nothing for Alberta, really. Well I don't like Prarie-land, so what are you gonna do, eh?

This is Kalamalka Lake from Vernon. It looks a bit like Oyama and Woods Lake crossed so....there ya are! I tried to find a pic of Jade Bay, but to no avail. There the water is like a tealish green. So thick it feels you're diving into paint.
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:20 AM   #11
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Columbia, don't sell yourself short...BC and Alberta have some of the most amazing sceneary in the world!!!

Old 12-06-2003, 10:04 PM   #12
kyle j
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to kyle j

one of my favorites it right across the street from me its a park with a system of canals and bridges it was built by the CCC here during the great depression pretty awesome place.

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v70/kylej/

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/WildBillJackson/
kyle j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I am acting like Jake now and resurrecting old (in this case very old) threads, but thought this was a good one.

One of my favorite sights is the view from one of the suspension bridges that connects Hong Kong island to mainland China. You feel like you are about a half mile up and all around you (looking down) are stunning waterways and steep mountains and a great view of downtown Hong Kong perched right on the edge of the sea at the bottom of a mountain. Wish I had a good pic to post, but I don't. Simply unbelievable.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75

Well i havent been to all the places i want to yet (gotta wait until april dammit) but i know one that will never change for me is the giants causeway. It takes my breath away everytime i go there.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #15
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

I think a lot of things in this world awe me... but on top of the list are:

* The sun setting over the ocean at the Greek temple of Poseidon. That is heads down the most romantic place I've ever been at.... and I was 12!!!!

Imagine this, but prior to turning this color, everything is bathed in hundreds of shades of orange... it was marvellous!

Then, waiting for the yellow bus unbelievably early in the morning where the fantastic sunrises from behind the mountains in Sierra Vista, Arizona. Waking up that early was made worth while if only to see those sun rises. Not for anything those AZ sunrises are in the AZ plates!

*And the best man made: Petra... simpluy priceless
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #16
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

did you take that temple shot flo?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 AM   #17
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Nope... I lived in the middle east 10 years ago... so the photos of that trip are in paper, in some album.... but I found that on the internet that portrays it exactly as I remember it.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #18
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Lands End on the Baja, after weeks of ups and downs and crazy adventures, I finally found it. I even got someone to give me a little boat ride out so I could touch it.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #19
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

This isn't a view from the bridge, but a view of the bridge, but it gives some idea of what I was talking about. I was wrong actually in saying it linked to the mainland, it actually links one island to another. Off to the left out of sight is downtown Hong Kong. Wish I could take credit for this pic.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #20
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

That looks awesome in those lights.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote