how to earn cash--17 yrs old - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
wphsmike
Members

Send a message via AIM to wphsmike

My friend and I are planning our euro trip and i am looking for easy ways to make quick cash. I have a job, it pays $8.75 an hour. Since i can only work about 20-25 hours a week(because of school) i need easy ways of making money. I haven't tried the ebay thing, I don't have a credit card, so how do I sell stuff on ebay without paypal? our trip is going to be about a month. Any ideas/suggestions??

Mike
Old 12-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

You can use PayPal in conjunction with eBay if you have a checking account... I'm assuming since you have a job, you probably also have a bank account

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
wphsmike
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Dec 20 2005, 09:52 PM
You can use PayPal in conjunction with eBay if you have a checking account... I'm assuming since you have a job, you probably also have a bank account
[snapback]94110[/snapback]
yeah, but it's a savings. I found out you can't set up a seller's account with ebay if you have a checking account. My dad has a seller's account, so i'll be good on ebay. Any other ideas?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

well you wanna go for a month.......I gonna assume that your just gonna go party your face off ? lol I know I would at 17 witrh a month in Europe, have you figured a goal of how much you wanna have by the time you go ??
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
wphsmike
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWills@Dec 20 2005, 10:36 PM
well you wanna go for a month.......I gonna assume that your just gonna go party your face off ? lol I know I would at 17 witrh a month in Europe, have you figured a goal of how much you wanna have by the time you go ??
[snapback]94114[/snapback]
well plane and train is about 2 grand. So, what do you suggest for hotel fares for a month? We have connections in Italy, we will be there for about a week. Food spending and extra spending money?

Mike
Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

budget $75 a day to play it safe.

$100 if you're a royal drunk
(hopefully not @ your age - not that i wasn't, hehe!)
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
wphsmike
Members

When is the best time to buy plane tickets? After the holidays and early in the morning?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

Hey Mike I'm 17 and also trying to figure out how to fund my summer 2006 Euro trip. Luckily you have a job already (I'm still searching but prospects for me look good).

I'm thinking about flying Aer Lingus. They have some cheap flights from NYC-Europe.

I also see you mention hotels. Budget travelers typically stay at hostels.

Check out TravelPUNK.com's budget guide. I think it gives a good breakdown of your day to day budget.

Browse the boards as well, lots of helpful info.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Welcome to the boards! If you shop right, you should be able to get a RT ticket from major city-major city for $600 or less. Check out travelzoo.com and all the major discount airfare booking engines (studentuniverse.com, travelocity, orbits, etc). You should be able to get a rail pass for less than $400 as wells. Aside from transportation, you'll probably want about 2-3000 for lodging, food, drinks, museums, etc.

Way to make money - donating plasma (you may have to be 18?), delivering newspapers in the morning before school, look up odd jobs on craigslist.org or in the newspaper (cleaning a house, painting, etc), tax returns if you get them, yadda yadda.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:39 AM   #10
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

DON'T sell your plasma it is not worth it trust me on this one I supported a year of drinking in college by "selling" my plasma and it sucked.... but I guess it was worth it at the time since I was incredably lazy... the fact is I could have worked 6 hours a week at mcdonalds and made the same thing I did selling my plasma.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #11
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

I sold my plasma and didn't think it sucked too bad. It's not that painful, not that time consuming and you're doing something good. Plus, you get a cool hole in your arm.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

your crazy going and sitting with white trash people in a room for 2 hours TWICE a week having a pint of blood withdrawn from your arm the plasma removed and then the blood is pumped back into your body then repeat this cycle 8 - 12 times that is what you get when you "donate" plasma it fucking sucks..... oh and that hole in your arm is pretty cool especialy when you have a perminant scare that looks like you've been shooting up... oh and it's also fucking a blast to have them drawing blood and your arterie collapses on it's self... let me tell you that feels real good. oh and your lucky if you get done in two hours cause if you live in a place like I do then you drive to the ghetto to donate plasma (Nope no plasma clinics in the rich lands) where everyone and their brother goes and you have to wait 1-2 hours before your name is even called... so we're looking at around 3-4 hours in the clinic... All done they give a precharged ATM card with the money on it a whole 25 bucks for the first time... as for doing good you can't just go once you have to go back within a week and donate again other wise your sample that you "donated"/"sold" the fist time is no good. they trash it. but if that's what you want knock your self out... cause I've been hard up for cash before and done it.... other times I've thought about it but I realized i was a freakin idiot for even thinking about doing it again.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
wphsmike
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by agriadam@Dec 21 2005, 06:55 PM
as for doing good you can't just go once you have to go back within a week and donate again other wise your sample that you "donated"/"sold" the fist time is no good.* they trash it.* but if that's what you want knock your self out...
[snapback]94254[/snapback]

I don't plan on donating any plasma. I give blood once every two months when the big bus comes to school. I wonder if I could sell my virginity on eBay. Haha, maybe I'll get lucky and some European gal will be the winning bidder.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #14
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

I was donating plasma with a bunch of other college students (90% of who was there) not trailer trash. It was in a nice part of town near the shopping areas. The waiting was about 45 minutes, with the needle part about an hour. The cycling wasn't too bad, I just read a magazine. My "cave" doesn't look like I shot up. Doubt heroin addicts could get the same hole every time. I always donated 2x a week and then they kicked in a little extra. Was paid cash at the end. There, two perspectives on donating plasma.

I don't do it anymore cuz I don't have to.

Donating blood is a wonderful thing to do. I haven't done it in a few years because I got really sick last time and nearly passed out. I could barely move the rest of the day.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 PM   #15
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

yea...in my opinion i would stay away from gettin ur body all pricked up and try to find a job that pays better or a job where you get good tips, waiting tables/bartending, anything you can think of
Old 12-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #16
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

walk dogs; be a tutor; babysit; get 2nd job on the week-ends; sell off all your books, cds & dvds; have a garage sale with old stuff you find in your parents attic/basement; do chores around the house for family members; put out flyiers in your neighborhood to clean gutters (people hate doing this and you'll most definetly get takers).....it all depends on how important this trip is for you. there's money out there, you just have to be determined.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #17
aSiAnRiCk
Members

Send a message via ICQ to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via AIM to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via MSN to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via Yahoo to aSiAnRiCk

Quote:
Originally posted by ScarlotteDorian@Dec 21 2005, 07:40 PM
there's money out there, you just have to be determined.
[snapback]94287[/snapback]
ya
Old 01-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #18
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by wphsmike@Dec 21 2005, 04:29 PM
I wonder if I could sell my virginity on eBay.* Haha, maybe I'll get lucky and some European gal will be the winning bidder.
[snapback]94262[/snapback]

Awesome!

I'd suggest some of the same things SD did. Tutoring always works out nicely if you can get your parents to refer co-workers. Also check out craigslist.com. Here's a few prime ads:
Muddy Men Wanted
KiddieCorp

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #19
wphsmike
Members

Thanks for the idea. Haha, I want to get all muddy.

Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #20
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

here i am thinking you all have plasma screen tv's and ya selling them

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote