I hate this city!!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
LaurieL622
TPunk Recognized

hi tpunks,

so i need some advice. ive been home (orange county, ca) for a few weeks now and it's the first time i've really been home for 4 years or so. I just started a new job but im already getting restless. i don't think southern california is my cup of tea so im thinking about moving elsewhere.

so....are there any tpunks that LOVE the city they live in (within the usa)? I've been thinking about Seattle....but I havent been for over 10 years... so not sure what the city is like anymore. How do Seattle tpunks like the city? Any other suggestions?

Anyone else know how I feel?? I need some sympathy cuz i'm so sick of this place! I just feel like nothing ever changes here & I need some new scenery.

thanks!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

i live in NEW JERSEY and I absolutely love it. i wouldn't wanna live anywhere else and i mean that. people may talk shit but once you give it a chance you see why we are so proud. its the best of both worlds, i'm less then an hour from Philly and NYC. i can be to the beach in 35 mins and skiing in 45. and the great thing is I don't need to do any of those things, i live in a great town with nice people and a great place to live. if your into something a little more exciting though, move to an east coast city. i can tell you first hand that NYC is amazing, there's no place like it, and Philly is very fun as well. I have always planned on moving to boston after college for a year too. its beautiful and the entire city is made up of young people. the average age is 26, can you believe that?!?
get on it and come EAST!

good luck
Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Here's the best thing about Seattle for me:

The best of Seattle

I can find scenery on a postcard, the rest is priceless

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurieL622@Dec 19 2005, 08:34 PM
so....are there any tpunks that LOVE the city they live in (within the usa)?
[snapback]93940[/snapback]
I'd post about the city I live in...but unfortunately I don't reside in the US of A...so I guess my opinion is void...
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
Nezbitt
Members

Send a message via MSN to Nezbitt

Yeah same here, Canada is voided but I dont think that I would reccomend my city, It has a place in my heart but I dont think its for many tpers here hehe

Wills (on Nicoles comp)
Nezbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I am thinking of moving to seattle some time next year laurie.

wanta split a pad?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:21 AM   #7
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Eww, the OC...

I made my escape from SoCal and have never looked back. San Francisco and NYC are probably the only 2 US cities I would want to live in, and I chose the one on the good coast. I absolutely love San Francisco, except I could do with fewer hippies. Other than that, it's the best damn city around, unless you don't like liberals, beer, and cold summers.

Edit: I just got a film scanner so I've decided to start a gallery of my city based on the questionable photos taken with my funky camera. San Francisco via Holga

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #8
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

We've only moved to Seattle 5 months ago, but I love it - and thats saying a lot since I don't even really want to reside in the US.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:28 AM   #9
expatben
lover of Germany

Yeah I know what you mean and I think a move might help but before you decide anything ask yourself-is it the city you hate or the not moving around? Because if its the latter then you may wind up missing the OC or SoCal.
Just think of what cities you like, what you like in a city and which city you feel has the most of what you like. Personally I like the small town feel close to a big city so if I move to the US somewhere like Jersey might be for me.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:02 AM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I live in Chicago and love the city. There's a lot to do, a lot of culture, good public transportation, not too expensive, etc. It has two downsides for me - no hills/scenery really. The lake is beautiful and the forest preserves are great for hiking, but it's weird being somewhere so flat and with such boring terrain. I get a good compromise because my family's from Wisconsin (area they're from is very hilly, lots of bluffs) and more lush.

My favorite city is New Orleans, and every time I visit, I find it so hard to leave. The city is coming back to life but a huge downside is there's a lot of price gouging in the housing market. It's such a fantastic city though - very liberal, artsy, alive. Whenever I go, even after the hurricane, I just walk around the quarter and there's a feeling I get there like no other. Plus, just the climate and stuff is so different from the midwest, and I love that.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #11
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by nemesis331@Dec 19 2005, 11:46 PM
i live in NEW JERSEY and I absolutely love it.* i wouldn't wanna live anywhere else and i mean that.* people may talk shit but once you give it a chance you see why we are so proud.* its the best of both worlds, i'm less then an hour from Philly and NYC.* i can be to the beach in 35 mins and skiing in 45.* and the great thing is I don't need to do any of those things,* i live in a great town with nice people and a great place to live.* if your into something a little more exciting though, move to an east coast city.* i can tell you first hand that NYC is amazing, there's no place like it, and Philly is very fun as well.* I have always planned on moving to boston after college for a year too.* its beautiful and the entire city is made up of young people.* the average age is 26, can you believe that?!?
get on it and come EAST!

good luck
[snapback]93941[/snapback]

If your coming up to Boston, you'll have to meet up with me sometime. we can have a small Tpunk meetup or something.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
The Monsignor

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Having been born in the SF Bay Area, lived both in and around the city, I gotta say, I would live there today if it weren't for two things: The city is prohibitively expensive to live in (and near), and there's certainly a lack of open (uncrowded) spaces nearby.

With that in mind, though, I loved the city. Very cosmopolitan, generally pretty friendly and with the exception of the hippies and yuppies, really cool.

Seattle, for me, has most everything that San Francisco has to offer, with better pricing (still not cheap) with the added bonus of being close to the woods (I mountain bike) and Canada (Vancouver is a pretty nice city, as well, and there's really some epic scenery within an hour's drive of Seattle)

The downfall is the infamous 'Seattle Freeze-out' For whatever reason, Seattle-ites are very polite and friendly, but not really social. There are more people living alone in Seattle than in any other city in the US (per capita). Seattle-ites go out and hang out in public places to be alone, in public. My best friends are all imports, not natives.

Last, but not least, you have to be able to cope with not seeing sun from September through May. (people get somethign called Seasonal Affective Disorder - SAD - out here for lack of sun!) You have to learn to make sure you get out, even in the blah days of winter, so that you don't fall prey to it..

I moved here by choice, and I probably won't be leaving, either..

Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
Seasonal Affective Disorder - SAD
Very common in the midwest as well. The short days, crappy weather (holilng yourself up inside), less sunlight, etc really has an effect on people. And of course, it's that time of year again.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Seattle is great... at least, I hope. I'm moving there in April.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM   #15
The Monsignor

Quote:
Originally posted by lilwings@Dec 21 2005, 04:39 PM
[snapback]94286[/snapback]
Stationed at Ft Lewis? or Moving Moving to Seattle?

Looking forward to it, either way!

Old 12-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #16
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

hey I'll trade you spots. I want to live in the OC. I hear Summer and Marissa are going to be looking for a roommate next year when they move out of Summers mansion. I could TOTALLY be their friend.

Ok....Brooke is back from her little television fantasy land now. I'm ok.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:32 PM   #17
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

come to jersey...or atleast the east coast...
you won't regret it
Old 12-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #18
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by lilwings@Dec 21 2005, 03:39 PM
[snapback]94286[/snapback]
First drink is on us

Seattlle/Vancouver will be the Tpunk meca!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #19
LaurieL622
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
hey I'll trade you spots. I want to live in the OC. I hear Summer and Marissa are going to be looking for a roommate next year when they move out of Summers mansion. I could TOTALLY be their friend.
OC/LA is a great place to live. there's plentry of wonderful things about it but i've been doing it for too many years and i need something new. i feel like i've "gotten" all i could out of this area.

been there, done that.....now what?

I want to get to know every cool city in the world. and i feel like im wasting my resources (namely: MONEY!!! and time) here in o.c.

anyway.....seattle sounds great. maybe i'll come up for a visit if anything. quick question...how much does the avg apt (um...2 bedroom) go for in the city?

Old 12-22-2005, 09:37 PM   #20
The Monsignor

If you keep it modest, $700-800/month, less if you stay away from downtown proper... (there are definitely better deals if you take the time to look)

SV is the expert on Seattle neighborhoods, here...