Sending a pack through airport - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Travel Transportation

Travel Transportation Airs, Trains, Buses, and Boats, what should I do ? What´s a Eurail Pass? How to rent a car abroad ? Is it safe to take the bus?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
autre003
Members

I am scheduled to spend some time packing around France and Spain over Xmas and through the New Year but have not traveled internationally with my pack. ome questions I hope seasoned vets can help me with:

1) When I pack and get to the airport, should I just send my pack through to the "throwers" normal style? Should it be wrapped in a garbage bag or have the straps tucked?

2) Is it wise to have locks on any, none, or all of my zippers?

3) what other good advice can some people give me....?

Thanks erebody!
autre003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

In my experience they prefer you to have tucked in as many loose straps as possible. I haven't had them say it has to be in a bag but every airport is different so I suppose it's a possibility. If that's the case though, you could quick get one from a packing type store inside the airport. Or just have one folded up in your pack in case you need and it and it could come in handy later.

And in my experience with locks, well, you can't have them because with security these days they have to be able to open your bag at any given moment in its journey to the next place.

You'll be fine!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

I travel pretty frequently with packs (military style, all sharp corners and straps) and have found that to make everything pretty simple, I buy a cheapo duffle or stuff sack to cover the pack in (large enough to hold the pack, light enough to pack inside or strap to the outside of the pack when not in use) It keeps all the straps and stuff from getting caught (many airports have automated luggage routers in the bowels of the terminal, they shuttle your bags from the counter to the gate without any human assistance, ensuring there are no witnesses when your bag gets routed to Ickistan by mistake)

It's not really enforced, but the airlines can be picky about loose dangly things on your pack.

locks, eh, they keep casual pilfering down, but they're not gonna make them pilfer-proof. The new transportation requirement has you using only approved locks, which the TSA guys can get into (which means anyone will be able to) I prefer it, to make it harder to rip me off.

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

^The TSA locks unfortunately will get cut off just like the regular ones. I had this happen to me the first time I used one. Then, just this week I overheard a ticket agent telling a lady to unlock her TSA approved lock and he said the same thing...many TSA agents do not have the special tool and they will just cut the lock anyway, so don't bother with them. Leave your pack unlocked when checking it at the aiport, but bring locks for the hostel.

Also, some travelpacks come with a built in pack cover the folds out of the bottom to cover your straps. I know many Eagle Creek packs have this feature. Might check your pack closely to see if you have this. If not, use a garbage bag or nylon laundry bag.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

On your international flight, check and see if your departure airport has one of those shrink-wrap machine services. I don't know how much they charge, but they have the clear cellophane type material they wrap around your bag to seal it up. Of course, nowadays, these have to be located where they can do it after TSA checks your bag.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Pulling up an old thread! But is it just me, I have NEVER checked my pack at the airport. To me, thats the beauty of the pack, even on the smallest planes, I have been able to fit it in the overheads.
I love this because you never have to worry about landing somewhere, and your luggage does not.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I thought a pack was too big (length) to fit in the overhead area?
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

yeah, would be nice to know what sort of packs can fit in the luggage compartment. would love to ifnally travel without checking in and out but nto sure how big/small a pack can be to get away with it.
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

This is the pack I use, and I believe joe7f uses. Anyway, I take the day pack off, pull the compression straps tight, and it fits easily, even on express flight planes (smaller) I have squeezed it in. I have lived out of this pack many times traveling for long periods and had no troubles
Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

The first time I used mine was to the Czech Republic and it fit *fine* in the overheads. I didn't travel for a while after that and was pretty flabbergasted when I was told they'd have to either keep my bag up front or have it checked "valet" something (aka "for stupid people who try to bamboozle past flight regs for carry-ons"). Super frustrating, since I'm always complaining about having so little space because I'm not tall enough to have longer pack. Yet I *still* cannot fit it in the overhead.
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Ya know, the good thing about having it checked "valet" upon boarding the plane, is that they tag it, put it in cargo, but when you debark the plane, you can pick it up right there on the ramp off the plane. Kinda the same thing they do for baby strollers and the such. Far less chance of it getting lost
Old 04-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Yes but I also imagine them accidentally leaving my bag/my baby on the tarmac while the plane takes off (re: baby in car seat in the gas station in Raising Arizona)!!
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
freespiritz
always trippin'

I've never had issues checking my pack...I tuck in what I can. Sometimes they've put them in the basin things, other times they've bagged my bag for me, so I've never had to to it myself.

I'm tempted to see if I can sneak my pack as a carry-on for my next trip, though!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Honestly, its a crap shoot if they make you check it. I work at Charlotte Douglas airport, and everyday I see thousands of people with roll alongs and packs way bigger than my pack. Once they are through the security zone, they aren't checking them, and they all get them on the plane. I guess I am lucky, and plan on continuing to be lucky, my pack has been on lets see, 14 or so flights, never checked once. Knock on wood and pray my next trip in 9 weeks, I am going to be on 16 different planes in a months time. And have NO plans on checking my pack.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Yup Marc, we use the same sack (I love it and can't recommend it enough) but I am amazed you don't have to check it. The body is pretty big.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

I check my pack...I keep necessities with me and I'm fine with checking it. On the way to Europe, they bagged it for me and then on the way home I just tied all the straps together and they sent it that way.

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Ok, so my wife and I are a little dorky, due to the fact that she has the exact same pack. go ahead giggle, but anyway, "seriously" We have flown with our packs on 14 different planes, of all sizes. I REALLY don't want to jinx us, I am just trying to help you tpunks not have to part with you pack when flying.
And about the airport, I see approx 40,000 people a day walk by, as I work out in the open in the main terminal. The point is, that over half these people have suitcases that are bulkier than my pack. And they are all on the way to board with them. Don't sweat it, just go through the check point with it and board the plane. No one will even notice
Old 04-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #18
hlad00
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
Yup Marc, we use the same sack (I love it and can't recommend it enough) but I am amazed you don't have to check it. The body is pretty big.

--Joey
This backpack looks great, can you let me know the make or where i can get this from?

thanks in advance
hlad00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

It is an Eagle Creek bag (I thought it was called something other than Grand Voyage when I got it but it appears to be identical)

It is a little pricey, but I think a good backpack can literally make your trip a lot more comfortable.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #20
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I got mine from Sierra Trading Post, and it was on clearance several years ago. I think I paid $160.00, got lucky and lovin it!!!!