Two Weeks in Italy!!!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
blondie12386
Members

[font=Geneva]
Hi guys, this summer will be the first time backpacking. My boyfriend and I are planning on spending 2 weeks in Italy. We dont really know what to see in the cities or what to bring. We will be staying in Hostels along the way. Can anyone give us some advice!?
Here is our itinerary:

Rome (5 days, 4 nights)
Florence and surround areas (5 days, 4 nights)
Venice (4 days, 3 nights)
Verona (2 days, 1 night)
Milan (3 days, 2 nights)

Are we spending too much time in each of these cities? Should we travel more to other, less touristy spots. We want the Italy experience!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

Welcome to the boards! I myself have not been to Italy yet, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt... but from what I've heard, you could skip Milan and go somewhere else-- say, Cinque Terre-- and be much happier.

Have a great time!!
Old 11-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Well, it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to party it up, then spend more time in Rome. If you want to sight see, then spend more time in Rome. So, i would suggest more time in Rome, just a couple more days, there's a freakin lot to see in that city. I stayed at a place called Camping Tiber while i was there, it was one of the funnest places i stayed and i would highly recommend it!!

I would also suggest doing a day trip from Rome to Pompeii, it's definately worth seeing, they are some of the best ruins i have seen....i'll put my photos up of Pompeii next week. Also, on your way back you can stop at Naples and try out their Pizza, it's probably the best i have ever had (that may have something to do with the fact that Naples is the place where pizza was invented)

Also, i didn't actually think that much of Florence, i was only there for a day, but i think any longer and i would've been pretty bored. However, i have heard from other people that i was mad to just spend one day there because it was awsome.

Venice was cool but 2 days was enough. 1 or 2 days walking around the city is definately enough, once you get over the initial amazement of the canals it aint so exciting anymore.

Can't comment on Milan or Verona. Heard Milan wasn't anything too spectacular, but i've never been so i wouldn't know. I wanted to go to Verona to see their coliseum, it looked pretty damn cool indeed.

Also, you can't miss Cinque Terre, it was one of the coolest places i went!! I could have easily spent a week there, but 3 days would probably be enough if you've got strict time constraints. I will also post my photos of Cinque Terre next week.

Also, you can't go to Italy and not see the leaning tower of Pisa. I definately wouldn't suggest staying in Pisa, it's a kinda boring place, but you HAVE to stop there on your way through for a couple of hours to get the classic touristy photo of you holding the tower up.

Now, Italy in summer is bloody hot so you will only need to pack summer clothes. I think it averaged mid 30's the whole time i was there and it never rained, it was perfect!!

.......well, that's all i can think of for now, check out my photos when i put them up, maybe they will help you a bit.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Milan is not too shabby. The citadel there is very beautiful, the cathedral in the center of town is also great... of course, the height of everything amazing in Milan is The Last Supper. We couldn't get in without a reservation, but I went just before Easter (so there were tons of tourists at the time, it might be better now).

I would overnight there, but nothing too huge. It's a good hub for the train to Florence and Venice.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
blondie12386
Members

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for responding!
We are definitely going to Cinque Terre now!
So, where do you recommend staying? Which of the cities was the best location?
We have 2 nights there...
What should we do or see? Is the hike through the cities interesting?

Also, about hostels, we are considering staying in dorm type rooms with 8 other people. Is that usually a good idea? Is it worth the money for a private room... Are people pretty quiet or should I not plan on sleeping?
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

You get used to the noise, and, after hiking all day, you'll probably be too tired or too drunk to really care (just don't forget your padlock and flipflops).

Old 11-26-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I don't think you are planning too much time in each place at all, but I would suggest planning to visit some smaller towns also. Possibly do this as day trips from yout listed cities.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
blondie12386
Members

Awesome! The info is so helpful!
So, because of your suggestions, here is our new itinerary:
Rome - 4 nights
Florence - 3 nights
Venice - 2 nights
Verona - 1 night
Cinque Terre - 2 nights
Milan - 1 night
Nice - 1 night
Then to paris for 3 months of study abroad!

Also, has anyone had experience with shipping things over from the US?
We will be studying abroad for 3 months, and will need more things than we are bringing to italy. Is it best to ship it over? Does anyone know about how much or what is the best way to do this?
Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 11-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

^ shipping frieght through an airline isn't TOO expensive, but not cheap either. I would not suggest shipping throught the mail, can be hit or miss.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Quote:
Also, about hostels, we are considering staying in dorm type rooms with 8 other people. Is that usually a good idea? Is it worth the money for a private room... Are people pretty quiet or should I not plan on sleeping?
Dorm living is the best!! Staying in a private room is OK if you want a bit more privacy, but if you wanna meet heaps of people then dorms are the way to go because you are kinda forced to talk to people seeing as you're sleeping just metres away from them. However, i would suggest avoiding huge dorms, i stayed in a 24 bed dorm once, it wasn't as good as the smaller ones.

People are USUALLY pretty respectful as far as keeping quite at rediculous hours of the night goes. However, there's always one or two loud drunken stragglers....you should be one of them . The biggest problem i had with dorms was snorers...i hate freakin snorers!!! You will come across some at a lot of the places you stay, be prepared, always have your MP3 player at the ready.

Quote:
We are definitely going to Cinque Terre now!
So, where do you recommend staying? Which of the cities was the best location?
We have 2 nights there...
What should we do or see? Is the hike through the cities interesting?
Nice work!!! I stayed in the first village, Riomaggiore, it was excellent, but i don't think it matters which villiage you stay in, they're all wicked. Yes, definately do the walk along the cliffs between the villages, it's a beautiful walk. On the path between the 2nd and 3rd villages there's a place where there is a clean 18 metre drop to the water, me and dreaser jumped off that high bugger, it was awsome, i would recommend it, it'll get people buying you drinks at the bars. The water is sooo nice so go swimming.....lots. The only town with a beach is the last one. Apart from that, get drunk and be merry,