First Time Traveller - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-21-2005, 04:32 AM   #1
carol.
Members

Hi Everyone,
I'm doing the whole backpacking thing around europe and the end of Jan 06. Its my first time doing anything like this and my friend has just dropped out but I still really want to go even if it means going on my own... I was wondering if anyone out there could give me tips on how best to travel safely and if you could tell me how hard/lonely/scarey it is travelling on your own.... How friendly are general travellers around western europe? And are there any specific places/pubs to meet fun backpackers???
Thank you....
carol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Many people here have done trips on their own. It is very empowering and don't worry, you can meet tons of people (if you want to), especially in hostels. Backpackers in general are friendly and if you come across some who aren't, well, you don't have to hang out with them!

In terms of safety, of course you have to be careful of your stuff but most places in Europe are not any worse crime wise than you would encounter at home. In general, pickpocketing is the main thing to watch out for.

I won't lie....there are times I get lonely and wish I had someone along so when I get home there will be someone who can laugh at things that happened and fully appreciate the things I saw. But there is something so powerful about solo travel and I think it really has helped me grow as a person.

Good luck!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

It may be scary for the first day or two, it depends. If your staying in a hostel from the very start you'll probably run into people straight away. I had to go through some small towns with no English speakers and got stuck so I kindof freaked out in the begining.

I found loads of friendly people and I wouldn't be a chaty people person.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Traveling on your own can often be better than traveling with a friend anyhow, so go for it!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
Tadpole
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

My friend dropped out too, i was going no matter what. I asked my brother and he went along and we argued but in the long run it was great. it alwys helps to come back and laugh with someone about events and situations about the trip.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 AM   #6
carol.
Members

Cheers guys,
That really helped... Some of my friends and family were trying to get me to stay if I was going on my own but this is something I really wanted to do.... Plus if I can handle living in Dublin I think I'll have no problem travelling trough Europe. Thanks again and the best of luck with your future travels...
carol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
Outtatown
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by carol.@Nov 21 2005, 12:32 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm doing the whole backpacking thing around europe and the end of Jan 06.* Its my first time doing anything like this and my friend has just dropped out but I still really want to go even if it means going on my own...* I was wondering if anyone out there could give me tips on how best to travel safely and if you could tell me how hard/lonely/scarey it is travelling on your own....* How friendly are general travellers around western europe?* And are there any specific places/pubs to meet fun backpackers???
Thank you....
[snapback]88798[/snapback]
Outtatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
autre003
Members

Where are you going to be over there... you can probably meet up with T-Punk members who know some cool places
autre003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I am one that enjoys traveling alone as well. You make up your own schedule and if you want to change it at all along the way, you can. You decide where to eat, stay, party etc. It can get lonely however, but you meet so many people along the way. Sometimes you meet even more people when you are traveling by yourself...don't really know why that is exactly, but it's been my experience.

As far as doing it "safely"....ehh....I mean, you can just as easily get robbed when you are by yourself as you can when you are with someone. Just use your common sense and you should be fine. As a girl, I wouldn't want to be walking around the streets alone in the wee hours of the morning, but you probably already know that!

Like U2Fan said....backpackers are generally nice and friendly people...you will have a great time travelig by yourself. And just ask anyone who did it...it's an experience that really helps you grow as a person.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:36 AM   #10
aurorachrisma
Members

Send a message via AIM to aurorachrisma Send a message via MSN to aurorachrisma Send a message via Yahoo to aurorachrisma

I've spent a good portion of my vacations in Western Europe by myself and I can tell you that sometimes it's better than having someone with you, especially if you're there for long periods of time. You can go and see what you want, when you want at your own pace and you don't get suckered into expensive things just because your friends feel like spending the money.

Make sure that you keep your important paperwork and backup money/creditcard on you AT ALL TIMES. Even when you sleep. I had mine stolen and it was quite a pain. I reccomend getting a little travel pouch that straps on to your calf or one you can wear around your neck so you always know where those things are.

Meeting people is a breeze in Western Europe. The easiest way to meet fellow backpackers I've found is to sign up for a couple pub crawls. Most of the ones I went on were comprised of mostly americans, canadians, and australians who had all been backpacking longer than I had even known about the concept of backpacking. They were all very friendly and had GREAT travel tips. They made good drinking buddies as well. But anywhere you go that has a social setting you'll end up talking to people, and they are usually more than happy to talk to you.
When you get food poisoning from eating sushi in Paris, Have the worst hangover of your life from pubcrawls in Berlin, Cry because your wallet got stolen in Rome, and freak out because you realize you're out of money by the time you hit London just remember, "Pain is just ignorance leaving the body." LIVE AND LEARN.
aurorachrisma is offline   Reply With Quote