dirty rotten smoker in oz - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
bloodygorgeous
Members

say hi to the bloodygorgeous newbie!! who happens to be going to oz for 10 months in ooooh about 3 weeks and refuses to give up smoking.... i cant possibly stop smoking, all this planning is stressing me out big style and im forced to smoke king size roll ups so that my family get to keep their lives - but what will i do in australia? any smokers out there who can advise me? will i have to hide behind bike sheds and such for a crafty one? are the bars and pubs all non-smoking? god help me and everyone within a ten metre radius if they are!!! i dont want to be like this for my entire trip
bloodygorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
TheRagingBull
Members

Not a smoker, but I am from Oz. Don't worry you'll fit in alright with the other dirty rotten smokers over here. THeres no smoking inside public buildings, or within a certain distance from outside the buildings. I believe some establishments have non smoking in pubs and clubs, but not any that i have been to because I always smell like an ashtray after a nightout.

The places around here are pretty well signed when its non smoking so you should be alright. Ignore the signs though and you may have a nice fine.
TheRagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

People still do smoke down here, more women then men now I think. In Victoria you can still smoke in pubs, bars and clubs, there banning it after 2007 so ya safe in Victoria. i think NSW have banned smoking in pub/clubs already dunno about the other states hopefully someone from there can answer!!

just be careful where ya lite up on the street ie next to old people and lil kids, other then that you should be fine! in victoria anyway

until then

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

Smoking in the pubs and clubs is legal in W.A. Restaurants are separated into smoking and non-smoking sections.

As TheRagingBull said - I'm a non-smoker and also seem to smell like an ashtray after having a night out on the town

ev
Old 10-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

All I know about smoking in Australia is this nugget of information that a friend from Perth told me:

If you meet an Aussie chick who smokes, she's inifintely more likely to put out.

Dunno if it's true or not, but I'll be taking my Camels with me.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
bloodygorgeous
Members

thanks all, lol omisan!! im a welsh lass who smokes though, so no assumptions! sounds like i'll be alright so long as im careful and considerate. suits me.
if anyone's planning a trip to england, feel free to fire away... xx P.s i bought my rucsac today its really exciting tee hee hee
Old 10-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
omisan
Minister of Offense

Great, Bloody, we can hang out beachside and have a few cigarettes while the locals look down upon us in shame.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
bloodygorgeous
Members

ha ha ha, their just jealous
Old 10-18-2005, 03:28 AM   #9
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
If you meet an Aussie chick who smokes, she's inifintely more likely to put out.
Generally speaking it's true!

ev
Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
omisan
Minister of Offense

Good to know.

Does it apply to the Welsh? **ducks**

Old 10-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
bloodygorgeous
Members

watch it you! (throws flaming torch at omisan)
Old 10-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
omisan
Minister of Offense

Now THAT's a new form of foreplay...

Waitasec, no, I live in SF and have seen *everything* in parades alone. Never mind. Not so novel. But I like it...

Old 10-19-2005, 02:45 AM   #13
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

And hey...we want proof, bloodygorgeous: Send a pic!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #14
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Oct 17 2005, 11:24 AM
[snapback]81690[/snapback]
You know that they say about a girl who smokes? She'll put anything in her mouth! *ducks*
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
omisan
Minister of Offense

Sweet! I'm gonna be bummin' out cigarettes like a madman!

Old 10-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
alexi_k
Members

There are still designated smoking areas in all pubs/clubs in nsw, it's just since the govt brought in new legisalation this year the non smoking area's are now more plentiful than the smoking areas. It's now one room for smokers instead of non smokers. There are still plenty of smokers in Aus, it's not like there going to chuck you in jail for sparking up dude.
Pubs/clubs have had a difficult time in the past couple of months, trying to find loop holes etc, as the smaller ones don't always have an option of having the space divided. When the laws first came in the majority of the venues turned their gambling rooms into the smoking areas but as this encourages you to chuck a few bucks in the pokies while you fag away they are cracking down on this and bars are becoming more creative with their space to accomodate both smokers and non smokers. I went to a b'day party at a new bar on friday night and I was overjoyed to see that between the main dance floor and the chill lounge on the third floor there was a considerable sized open air deck, where smoking was this area ended up being the most popular peice of space.
It is proving to be quite evident that alot of people here in sydney who visit these establishments are smokers or have friends that snoke. I went to another pub the other week and the bars were divided. I was with a non smoker so we sat in the non smoking section which had been refurbished and was quite swanky. It ended up closing early as there was no one in there, so we moved next door which was packed and the interior was what I would descibe as manky. We all sat there in the bar a third of the size an unrenovated so that we could smoke. So what will happen when the total ban in 2007 is introduced????? I say dinner partys are going to come roaring back into fashion.
As you are visiting over summer you will find that we do alot of drinking outside during these months and smoking is no problem. Enjoy your trip mate

alexi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:54 AM   #17
bloodygorgeous
Members

yay thanku alexi! you have been most helpful, my anxiety levels and the notion that i must smoke as much as possible while still in england have lessened considerably. (although as i am leaving tmoro, im puffing away like nobody's business whilst frantically trying to think of all the things i havnt done).... but yay to outside drinking! and yay to open air dancing! and yay to all things smokey! ok the Last Day Craziness has obviously taken over....
Old 11-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #18
omisan
Minister of Offense

Good info, thanks!

California's had a total ban for years now, and honestly, I think it's pretty nice - it's made it so that nightclubs have to have an in/out policy, and it means there are so many more bars that have opened up outdoor patios/decks. I hear England's working on the same thing... I dunno, though - Frankly, I think they should do it everywhere it's WARM.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #19
alexi_k
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodygorgeous@Nov 1 2005, 06:54 PM
yay thanku alexi! you have been most helpful, my anxiety levels and the notion that i must smoke as much as possible while still in england have lessened considerably. (although as i am leaving tmoro, im puffing away like nobody's business whilst frantically trying to think of all the things i havnt done).... but yay to outside drinking! and yay to open air dancing! and yay to all things smokey! ok the Last Day Craziness has obviously taken over....*
[snapback]83906[/snapback]

No problum bub, glad I could calm the nerves some what. Hope you have a great trip, I have no doubt you'll love it so much you won't want to leave.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #20
alexi_k
Members

woops! I meant problem - drunk and it's not even lunch time yet