which city is more travel friendly? Rome or Paris? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
whatduck
Members

Thumbs up

I'll be traveling alone for the first time in March. I will have approximately 10 days. I am interested in Rome or Paris. Which city is easier to navigate? Has better public transportation? Which has more to do for free or on the cheap? Do both have 1 or 2 worthwhile day trips, and how accessible and easy are these day trips? Friendly people? I do know a very limited amount of French which could come into play...

Or, also, I've been looking into taking an all inclusive tour... 8 days in Italy.. Rome and Florence for $1320 or so, including airfare... is that outrageous or not?

Thanks so much!
whatduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
mowark
TPunk Recognized

I remember reading that Paris has the most confusing public transport in the world. Personally, I didn't find that to be true, but that seems to be what the travel guide thought. Paris is a much larger city than Rome and has a much more extensive public transport network. There is a lot to do there for free or cheap. I didn't do any day trips from there so I can't speak to that. Rome's public transport is more than adaquate and will definitely get you to the major sites. There are several amazing day trips from Rome (Pisa is a good day trip). Many of the major sites are free or cheap. Look into free days at both cities. Once a week or once a month many major attractions are reduce priced or free. Both offer more major attractions than you could really see in a life time (You could spend several lifetimes in the Louvre). I hope that helps and have a blast.

mowark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
I remember reading that Paris has the most confusing public transport in the world. Personally, I didn't find that to be true,
I agree. We really had no problems getting around.

I've been to Paris but not Rome. Paris has a lot to see (as does Rome, but no direct reference). As said, the Louvre could be an entire day (actually more than one, but depends on how long you want to devote to one place), a fabulous cemetary, so many attractions to see, good cafes, etc.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

You clearly have to go to both
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #5
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I vote for Rome...although, with all the low-cost airlines in Europe, nowadays, why not think of spending 5 days in each? It'll take maybe 3 days to see the major sites in each, then two for day trips and you're all set!

If you have to make a choice, though, I say "Va alla Roma!"

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
jeza
Members

ive been to both but unfortuntely only spent 2 days in each. paris was def my favourite, as for transport i dont think i caught a bus or train once in the city, just walked and got a day pass on the boat that goes up and down the river. this was good as it was relaxing on its own as well as being able to get around to all the sites. rome is was all about the metro and i found them to be quite good. still end up doing alot of walking unless you know exacly where you plan to visit for the day. id recommend doing paris and amsterdam 5 days each if u havnt been there before. maybe even one more city if you wish. i really think you should see more than 1 city even if your only going for 10 days.
jeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:51 AM   #7
d_fresh
TPunk Emeritus

both cities have a lot to offer, but I'd choose Rome over Paris. Rome is one of my favorite cities, it's like being in a living museum.

Paris metro is a little more difficult to navigate, but if you have a map it's not difficult.

with 10 days I'd do both and fly between them.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
whatduck
Members

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great replies! My friend just found out that she will be studying aboard in London next semester, so I think I will be making a trip to London instead, with perhaps a mini-trip to Paris. I plan on making a full blown trip when I graduate in '07... until then, I will just have a small tasting
whatduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #9
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

never been to rome but paris really was a breeze to get around....it sucked getting there at like 7 am hung over, but after a nap i had 0 trouble finding all the stuff i wanted to see.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

ooops just read your reply...haha....shit, london may be the easiet city to get around in...the tube rocks and buses and taxis are plentiful
Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #11
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Shiiiiiiit. You use the Paris Metro once and you're a pro! Just in case, carry one of those little maps in your pocket.

Me and the Metro in Rome has bad experience once, and we aren't on speaking terms anymore! I am also partial to Paris and speak the language, so I am a little biased in this discussion. My last trip to Rome was this past April, it was great (with one exception- the Metro). My favorite part was walking the Appian Way.

Of course, if you can get a deal to travel to Italy and do Florence and Rome, I would say that your choice is set. Save Paris for a trip that you can dedicate a big chunk of time for it.... you'll need it.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:01 AM   #12
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Ah whats wrong with ye, I thought the Paris metro was class. Theres almost one on every street, you can even use the metros to find your way around the city walking. There where two metro stops at ether end of the street where my hostel was in Paris.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

I've never been to Rome, but I loved Paris and well London is an awesome city too! You can nearly day trip from London to Paris! :D I did a day trip from Paris to Versaille. Of course to see the Palace. Wow. My fondest memories I think are day trips!!

Jenn
Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #14
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Exclamation

Since you will be in London you can do whatever you want. Ryanair flys out of London mainly and you can get just about anywhere in Europe. I would say so a weekend in Amsterdam and maybe a couple in Paris if you can squeeze it in. Flights are CHEAP from Ryanair. Have a blast!

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
whereshegoes
Members

I vote for Rome if only for the yummy cheap pizza....and gelato, ofcourse.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 PM   #16
Suicidebree
Members

I'm doing both Rome and Paris in March for under 800$ including plane and hotels. Througha site called tourcrafters.com. Been to paris last year for a day. Got the basic lay but didnt get to do much. the trip is 8 days long and should give me 3 days to explore the great places we found last time but didnt get to appreciate. If you're thinking about going then let me know and we can meet up. going with as little as two others. Later

Jay
Suicidebree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #17
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I vote Paris, but only because I'm a dirty Francophile.

I love the description of Rome from the blitzkrieg travel summary in Rules of Attraction:

"Ended up in Rome, which is big and hot and dirty. Just like LA, but with ruins."

If you haven't seen the movie and want to hear the character's full review of Europe, it's pretty damn funny.. you can read it here.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:07 PM   #18
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Wow, its like reading a second hand account of my own trip!
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote