our "pets" - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

The back sliding glass door to our apartment faces a faces a lake (silver lake), and so all that is behind our patio is a small bit of grass, tree, and some undergrowth - and then there is the lake. Anyhow, we have sort of "adopted" a pair of squirrels who hang around our back patio and they have become very friendly with us because we feed them penut-butter, berries and such. If we leave the back door open they will even come right up to us sometimes.

Today I was feeding one of them some penut-butter on a spoon and forgot the empty jar near the door...this was the result.

[attachmentid=123]

she cleaned the jar out!

Anybody have any "strange" or uncommon pets?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jarhead.JPG (50.5 KB, 41 views)

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Ahahahahhaah.. nice.

At my folks' house, we have a couple of squirrels who are regulars, as well as an abandoned bluejay that we raised from infancy. Once he got bigger, he'd come and taunt the cat, flying around and bonking her on the head. I don't know if it's because the cat's smart enough to recognize him or if she's just lazy, but she'd never kill him like she would the other birds.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Joker
You want fries with that?

I have a lobster. Really. :D

I bought a 20 gallon tank about 6-7 months ago because I wanted a pet and can't afford the time to have a dog (schedule is too crazy. wouldn't be fair to the pup.). fish seemed to be a decent compromise. Plus I find staring at them to be very relaxing...

I bought the tank and was looking at different fish that were at the store, and saw "Australian Blue Lobsters" for $20. I had to have one. The ability to tell folks that I have a lobster and see their reactions are priceless. I also have some snail, 2 different types of Tetras and some Red-Tailed Sharks, too.

Name the lobster "Zoidberg." :D

Pic of a blue lobster: (not mine)

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

^ thats so cool

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
space virgin
Yoda

I used to have an iguana. He died though. I was very careful about taking care of him, but unfortunately, some iguanas have a condition that they're born (hatched) with that keeps them from developing fully, and they die after about a year because their bodies can't absorb nutrients from food. It was sad.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:55 AM   #6
danny
Members

I used to own a pet freshwater croc but he got to big so i had to give him to a croc farm. Also i have a Huntsman spider i saw him yesterday hanging around the bathroom but once again he has vanished. hope he is alright i would hate to roll on him while i am asleep.

One of my mates is also an exotic animal dealer who thinks it is funny to let his carpet python loose in my house.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:03 AM   #7
zero
Members

Send a message via MSN to zero

I used to have a columbian boa constrictor but the girlfriend took him in the break up. His name was steve, and I had a bunny once.... but not at the same time as steve.....
Old 09-23-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Cute pics KCL.

We had a pet skunk for awhile, but then one day, she ran away. I have pics around somewhere.

We raised possums once cuz their mom was hit by a car (don't ask why my parents felt the need to stop and check for babies - just the way they are). They're pretty ugly. We let them go on a farm when they were old enough though.

I had a pet rat for a few years, then she died.

Yes, I grew up in the sticks. Jake and I only have two cats and a fish right now. Getting into "normal" pets. Plus, he won't let me get anything cool.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Years ago I had a Ball Python. However, when my GF (at the time) and I moved in together she wasn't too thrilled so that was the end of that. Oh well, I used to feel bad when I went to the pet store for his weekly feeding and if they were out of rats I had to get a hamster or gerbil. Rats are one thing but to have to throw a cute little fuzzy hamster into the snake cage used to make me feel really bad.

Now I just have a cat. He's a cool dude but he sheds way too much.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

i used to feed deer every morning at the same time salted apples or apples with peanut butter. Originally I had to put them out and like 30 minutes later I could see them come out from within the house. After a year or so they would come out within about ten feet of me when I was putting them down and eat them while I was there. They even started meeting me atthe same spot at the same time every day. It was cool.

Also I taught a couple foxes how to play fetch. They don't bring it back all the way to me but will come within about the same 10 feet as the deer, drop the tennis ball and when I throw it they wrestle one another for it. Bring it back part way and when I get it they start running to intercept it.

The neighbors all thought I was crazy cause they would see me outside with the deer and foxes all the time, or the occasional rabbit that I would hand feed a carrot that got to know me after a while. My family thought it was odd too.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #11
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

^^ I love living near wilderness!! Even though I'm in Chicago, we're right next a Forest Preserve, which helps keep me sane.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #12
Joker

St Suz of Assisi!! :D

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 09-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
Joker

I meant to say... St. Sudz of Assisi... damn defective D key....

Old 09-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #14
Joker

I get home from work today, and the lobster is sitting in his usual spot in the rock. And in his claws: a headless neon tetra! that little bastard! :D

Old 09-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

yea, what are ya suppose to do when you in a tiny tank all day?

poor little tetra.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
hot momma
Members

Thats so cute. I love animals so much, and that is the same reason I don't have any pets. We are away from home traveling or camping too much to really consider getting a pet.
hot momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #17
Joker

Quote:
Originally posted by ScarlotteDorian@Sep 25 2005, 04:52 PM
yea, what are ya suppose to do when you in a tiny tank all day?

poor little tetra.
[snapback]78417[/snapback]

Well, I've found that in the 6+ months I've had him, he's gone after two of the tetras now. But they are small, and frankly, thats okay. It would be like feeding a cichlid a live minnow.

But damn, couldn't he just eat the shrimp pellets and be done with it? They're cheaper!:D

Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #18
GoKrazy
TPunk Camping Addict

I had an albino rat for a pet when I was younger - she was awesome! As long as the tail and the pink eyes don't freak you out I highly reccommend them as pets. They are REALLY smart too!

The coolest/oddest pet I had was a hedgehog. The poor little guy was found on the side of the road wandering aimlessly and he was just a baby (we figured his mother was run over by a car). We brought him home and took care of him till he got big. We had tons of fun feeding him milk and digging up worms and grubs. There was a lot of mixed emotions when we released him back into the forest. Definately a cool pet - spines and all!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #19
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by Joker@Sep 24 2005, 11:24 PM
I get home from work today, and the lobster is sitting in his usual spot in the rock. And in his claws: a headless neon tetra! that little bastard! :D
[snapback]78347[/snapback]

What do you feed a lobster anyhow? I have been thinking about getting a fishtank myself. I mentioned it to my roomate the other day and he just said "YES!" very excitedly, which is his responce to almost anythihng. He is the easiest kid to live with hehe. I don't think I have ever seen a lobster at the fish store places around here though. Is keeping a salt water tank going hard? Is yours even a salt water tank?

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

I'm not certain how unusual she is, but I've got a Macaw, named Cricket!

She grew up with my kids, and used to fight with my son over the toys (he was three, and they had the same taste in toys!)

She staying with friends while I'm here overseas... and boy is she being spoilt!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote