Don't Brag - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Have you every been talking to someone, friend, family or co-worker who has never been out of their home country, and thought to yourself that they have no idea what the world is all about because they have never been over seas?

This is a common thing that happens to people who travel, and I a guilty of it myself, we feel that someone has not lived until they have traveled somewhere, not a resort but really travelled....Staying in strange lands, eating unique food, meeting new people on an international level...

Trav'las have a very special way about them, and that enables them (us), to pick up and take off for weeks, months, and years on end.

Not everyone feels the need to trek around in other countries, and those people should not be made to feel that the have not lived until they have. The old saying Different Strokes, Different Folks comes to mind.

In our minds as Trav'las, Adventure is is what we seek, and international travel is how we find it. For others its a book, or a movie, or their jobs, what ever it may be it is what is importent to them

As a Trav'la you have expanded knowledge of other cultures, and you know what people from other countries think of where you come from...you worldly intilect is definatly more than someone who only reads the morning paper.

So use what you know of the world to educate others and not to make them feel less of a person because they have not experienced what you have.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
wong name
Members

Unhappy

this isnt related to what your saying cd------------but i find that people who like to brag ( can never back it up )....so if your traveling alone and u meet up with up some people from your home country, or other places....and they start bragging about this and that-------i would seperate myself from them long before the night ends ( if any drinking is involved ----------run ) :P i guarantee that he will start a fight by the end of the night. and he will probably take one punch and hit the ground ---------then theres like 3 pissed off guys looking at u!!!

when i was in the marine corp. this happened to me all the time ( granted jarheads are idiots ) but sitting in airport or at a bus station, if i saw another marine i would talk to him.....we usually got along.. so then we hang out when we reached our destation. well i dont know what it is but marines love to brag when the goto another country.....and fights soon follow... i got killed in tj this way. .....almost again in san fran.....but as soon as he started shit with some people i bolted like i didnt know him....... :P now im with someone that i dont know that well and they start bragging i call it an early night...... B)
Old 06-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
PhilBill

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Talking

Hey CD, You're SO Right! I was really guilty of this attitude when I came back to the States after my first 4 years round the world trip ( 2 years in Europe and 2 years in Asia )years ago. Not only did my high energy motor mouth offend some of my old friends I also found my reception VERY disappointing with many friends and family members' attitudes being like, "hey can someone turn UP the volume of the TV so we can watch without being interrupted by his travel adventure stories or turn HIM ( me )down?"

Guess I was GUILTY of egotripping; the facts of life is MOST people prefer having a NEW car or NEW Television or taking a short trip to a LUXURY RESORT HOTEL than traveling for many weeks or months overseas on a budget, ESPECIALLY in North America.

Anyway I'm excited about getting back to life "on the road "and traveling the world in the upcoming months when my hands on parenting is over when our daughter enrolls in the University of Hawaii at Manoa August 25. Cheers, Bill
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
zylah
TPunk Recognized

Do you think it might also be a little bit of jelousy? :greenguy:
Alot of people want to travel but can't either they feel work or family commitments, dont have enough money, dont have anyone to go with etc.
I know that if you really want to do something this wont stop you and alot of people just arn't brave enough to get out and do it, so maybe theyre a bit jelous of you that have.

Does this make sense?

zylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
Carisia
TPunk Recognized

Well, from what we know about you Phill, it's clear that you'd be the last person bragging or being insensitive or out of touch, but like many of us, just REALLY EXCITED about the World out there!

Can't please them all right? And can't stop being who we are right?

If that's what we like to talk about, then let s/he who has ears hear!!! ;-)

I know for sure that talking about the next reality show out there or the next new beer out there is not one of my favorite topics all the time!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #6
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Just to jump in on this convo here (it's 330 CST and I can't friggin sleep!)... I also hate people who brag. Ugh there is nothing more annoying.

The only time I am at all a braggart about traveling is when dealing with parents (young usually) who operate off the "You're nothing until you have kids" so I cop my "you're nothing unless you've traveled" 'tude. That usually gets them to shut up.

Jamie

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:26 AM   #7
PhilBill

Talking

I remember the feeling while visiting our daughter's middle school's "Open house" surrounded by all the other parents and students in the hallways making their way to the next classroom back in 99 in Santa Cruz, CA; this mental voice in my head started chanting, almost shouting, "WHAT AM I DOING HERE? I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE & BACK ON THE ROAD TRAVELING THE WORLD". Right then and there I DECIDED so I researched the California "homeschooling" regulations, how public school systems ranked state by state and started planning our one year itinerary for a nationwide and then round the world trip. I have ALWAYS known that traveling the world can be MUCH CHEAPER than "living" at "home" so I worked out a budget and now 5 years later feel HAPPY that we were able to introduce our only daughter to the WORLD when she 12 to 13 years old.

Thanks for your thoughts and input and hope our paths cross someday "on the road" ; I usually don't wear clothing with logos but maybe I should get something with that "TravelPunk" logo printed on it just in case.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

^ Wow, that's inspirational.

The American Matrix has become a cultural ghetto.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:19 PM   #9
FireGuy
Members

That's awesome PhilBill..if I have kids someday, I'll do the same thing. Very inspirational..
FireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:28 AM   #10
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

[/quote]Right then and there I DECIDED so I researched the California "homeschooling" regulations, how public school systems ranked state by state and started planning our one year itinerary for a nationwide and then round the world trip.[quote]

Oh, you're talking my language! When my husband retires (in about 6 years, at the ripe old age of 40 something) we've talked about taking a year off to travel North America and/or the world (what we haven't already covered by then). Don't currently have a mortgage or even an idea about where to live post job, so figure it's a good time to do it. Kids'll be in the 7 through 15 range by then, and are already experienced travellers. Can you recommend resources for handling the education issues?

Cheers!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #11
PhilBill

Talking

Each school system has a couple of teachers who coordinate with parents in their district who homeschool their children and provide materials and curricula recommendations and guidelines. So begin by contacting whoever is assigned then gather additional information on the internet where a huge homeschooling community interact to help each other give their kids superior educations to what is offered in many public schools. Sorry I don't have them handy at the moment and it's been since 99 to 2000 when we homeschooled our only daughter.

And thanks to all for your kind words; ESCAPING the American "MATRIX" is possible and you don't really need to be "RICH" to accomplish making your TRAVEL DREAMS A REALITY.

Hey "Voyd", Since you travel in Asia more than most people on this board if you know anyone heading our way then recommend our place, The Townhouse Hotel ( hostel ) near the Manila airports and beachfront resort Casa Camilla named after our daughter. Cheers, Bill
Old 06-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #12
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

hey... how can you say he travels in asia more than anyone, cause he's been to china? i've been to asia too, indonesia and soon thailand - plus, i was the one hootin' and hollaring for boracay. haha - j/k! i'll surely spread the word of your place while abroad. cheers!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #13
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I've noticed I tend to talk alot about my trips. I don't mean to but it just comes out whenever we're talking. For instance I was at the mall with a few of my friends buying swimsuits and they all happened to be walking really fast (don't ask me why). So I was like 'Geez you guys walk faster than those Europeans'. I don't think they cared that much but then I felt the need to tell a story about one lady that nearly ran me over in Madrid. They seemed slightly annoyed at the fact I kept talking but it's a major part of who I am.

I do it at work sometimes but it happens by accident - most of the time. Someone will mention something and I'll be like 'Oh yeah the same thing happened when I was in France' or 'No the best *insert food/drink/night/etc* I've had was when I was in Geneva'. I don't mean to though.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 PM   #14
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by blinkchick2134@Jun 17 2004, 07:53 PM
I've noticed I tend to talk alot about my trips...I don't mean to though.
You can't help it if you're worldly, blinkie!

worldwidemike (who throws interesting anecdotes about customs abroad in my conversations, whether the recipient needs it or not!)
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #15
PhilBill

Talking

Hey "joanofarc" sorry for not mentioning you and thanks for reminding me about your frequent travels in Asia. My wife, doesn't have the same "hots" for budget travel as I do so I will be traveling alone or occasionally hooking up with old friends or people I meet, "on the road" in the next few years for about 3 to 5 months each year ( 2 trips ). Maybe our paths will cross sometime in the next couple of years or start a party at sunset "happy hour" on Boracay somewhere so keep in touch. Life's a BEACH! Cheers, Bill
Old 06-19-2004, 06:27 PM   #16
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

Question

yeah, i figured the don't brag thread would be the best place to remind you. i totally plan to visit the philippines, so i will certainly keep in touch! i'm in search of the best sinagong in the country!