Do You Need A Sleeping BAg??? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-20-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I brought a sleeping bag with me on my lst trip and I used it only 2 nights of the 9 I was away...Most hostels DO NOT let you use them in fear of bring bedbugs or lice from another hostel. You are normally provided with sheets and a blanket by the hostel, which should be changed every day.

My sleeping bag is very small in size, but very warm and long enough that my 6'4" frame can fit in upto my neck. It doubled as a pillow on long train rides, and when I slept on the floor of the ship, i stuffed the cover with clothes and made a pillow. Fully rolled up, it maybe weighs 2-3 lbs, so it was not heavy to carry. It fit right inside my pack, so not to be exposed to the elements. I was glad I had it with me, but only because it was so small, if I had of had a big sleeping bag, I might not have liked carring it around so much.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:52 PM   #2
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

CD, where did you get a sleeping bag like that? What was the price, if you don't mind me asking. I am thinking about pulling some camping on my journey, and want something light and small so it won't weigh down the rest of my journey, especially if I end up hiking.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah that's such a hard question to respond too. On my first trip I didn't take one and frankly I didn;t even need one. All the hostels I stayed at had good bedding sheets. Though I did take a sleep sheet.When I went to Costa Rica though, I took one because I did some camping. But even during the times that I stayed at cheap hotels/hostels i'm glad i had it. Because it's so hot in central america all they really gave you was a sheet, but sometimes the nights cooled down I did end up using the sleeping bag. On my next trip to oz I think i will take it. I plan on settling down for a few months so I think it will come in handy, if not then i'll ship it home. But what CD said is true, alot of hostels (specially hostelling international) won't allow sleeping bags.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Here ya go bro, check out the size difference in the Pic, its like half the size of a normal bag, and its serious comfy...just watch the temp, its not a winter bag, just for spring, summer and early to mid fall

Compact Sleeping Bag

Now mine is about 4yrs old, and well used, so if you get a new one like this, i am sure there havebeen advances in the making of them since I got mine...I am seriously thinking of getting another, just the same.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Thanks, I was looking around and found a mummy bag that looks decent. I don't plan on camping in the winter, unless its a last resort.

Hostels shouldn't have a problem with me having the sleeping bag in my pack if i don't plan on using it will they?

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

Sijuki@gmail.com
Old 12-20-2003, 03:33 AM   #6
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

What they can't see will not hurt them....

Old 12-20-2003, 07:26 AM   #7
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Quote:
What they can't see will not hurt them....
You know the U.S. Airports used to believe that too. :D

Sijuki@gmail.com
Old 12-21-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
TheCross
Members

Send a message via ICQ to TheCross Send a message via MSN to TheCross

I've decided to take my sleeping bag with me. It's one of those compact ones made of goosedown. It packs down to about 30cm long by 15cm diameter.

I figure it's small and light and if required will be a godsend.

-TC-
TheCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
Boudiccae
Members

Never underestimate the bonus of having a good compression bag for your sleeping bag. Hiking in the mountains here in the NW its a godsend. So much less to get caught on when your sliding down an elk trail.
Boudiccae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:25 AM   #10
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

Still undecided on my sleeping bag. I bought a new beaut little one, it will fit in my bag nicely, and no doubt will be handy, but i wont decide to till about 3 days out before i leave weather or not i will take it. Just have to see what will fit after i have packed other more essential items into my little sack.

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #11
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

ozpacka: I'm having a tough time deciding wether or not I should bring my sleeping bag as well. I think I'll just do the same as you and leave it till the last few days to decide.

I doubt I'll end up using it, I think its more for peace of mind its there.
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:55 PM   #12
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

I bought myself a sleeping bag - a real cheapy $13AUD from a discount store. Its also like 30 x 15 and pretty small and light. I have a couple of straps (with buckles) on the outside of my pack so I can afford to take it as it doesnt take valuable comparment space.

At 13 bucks who really cares, Ill ditch it if it annoys me.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:01 PM   #13
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Most hostels DO NOT let you use them in fear of bring bedbugs or lice from another hostel.
I knew I had read that somewhere, turns out it was on these boards. Is that really true? It seems that if they let you bring a sleep sheet that they wouldn't mind a sleeping bag. Sleep sheets can just as easily carry lice and disease right?
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #14
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I think sleeping bags are more likely to pick something up because of the stuffing in them. If a bug gets in I'm sure its able to live for a few days. A sheet would probably be less likely to carry something.

I'm not 100% sure about that though
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:51 PM   #15
Fedfe
TPunk Recognized

that makes sense pinion. plus, you can always just toss your sheet in the washer! sleeping bag, not so much. also, sleeping bags are probably a lot hotter in those summer spanish nights........!!
Fedfe is offline   Reply With Quote