Packing Play By Play for the Girls - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
Coffee Eyes
Members

I read the stickied topic about "what's in your backpack?" but while there were some great suggestions for the girls, I couldn't find a ballpark number of t-shirts/pants/shorts for the girls.

For my first backpacking trip (which I'm still not sure when I'll get to do-hopefully 2006):

Is 6 outfits completely too much for six weeks? I'm trying to mix things to be the most useful. Could I get your opinions, ladies?

• 1 travel dress (navy or plain black)
• 1 skirt
• 2 pair capris
(One denim, one black)
• 2 pairs shorts
• 2 scarves
• 1 sarong
• 1 light cardigan or jacket
• one long sleeve shirt
• 3 nice shirts (cool/thin material)-
• 1 cotton t-shirt
• 1 tank top (black or tan)
• 1 black spaghetti strap
• 1 bathing suit
• 1 pair pajama pants
• 5 pairs socks
• 5 pairs of underwear

Flip-flops, platform sandals, sneakers (one pair of each)

Also very important, will I completely bake in the sun with these clothes? I plan on going to Italy, Spain, France, and Greece during peak summertime July.
Coffee Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:17 AM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

Hell, I just throw in whatever occurs to me at the time. Usually that amounts to two pairs of pants (in addition to what I'm wearing on the plane), one or two knit-type tops, three or so t-shirts, at least a week's worth of socks & underwear, one pair of pajama bottoms and/or shorts. The beauty of traveling light is that you can always buy new stuff over there (and either keep the stuff you have or toss it along the way).

Old 07-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #3
zylah
TPunk Recognized

It does look a bit heavy on the bottoms,
I personally would ditch the dress and /or the skirt. you have a sarong that you could wear. also you have 2 full length and 2 pairs of shorts, i assume that you will be wearing at least one of those on the plane, but its still an awful lot. ( thats 7 sets of bottoms)

Rember that whatever u bring you have to lug around.

2 scarves? are they the thin type that wou wear around your head or the thick wolly ones for winter? regardless i suggest ditch at least one.

u also have 7 shirts/ tops and one cardi, depending on where you're going (it sounds warm) remember that most costal places get chilly at night, so u may want to bring 2 slightly warmer tops and ditch some of the t-shirts. Try to choose tops which can be worn both day and niht and u should be able to get away with 4.

the rest of it sounds pretty good.

zylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I'd ditch the skirt (sarong will substitute) and the denim capris - denim takes forever to dry. Also, you can wear the sarong as a scarf/shawl at night, so maybe don't need two scarves as well (unless they're hair/neck/waistband scarves). I think I'd bring a couple more changes of undies, in case laundry facilities are slim. Also, you could get a swimsuit that has a top that could double as a halter top, which is one less top to take along. It's not much, but every little bit helps. Personally, I'd take two nicer shirts (one long, one short-sleeved), a tshirt and a halter style swimsuit, and then pick up a couple more while travelling. And black is always stylish, but bright colour is big in European fashion this year, so it's okay to throw in something a bit more splashy!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
Coffee Eyes
Members

I think I'll cut the skirt and maybe in a few days I'll be willing to take one of the 3 nice shirts out (clings to 1st-time-backpacker clothing overload). I heard in Paris you need to dress up, so I have two blouses and a short-sleeved polo as the "three nice shirts." So really, I have 3 long sleeve shirts, two short sleeve and a tank top. And yes, the scarves are the super light decorative neck scarves.

Quote:
Hell, I just throw in whatever occurs to me at the time.
Hahah, if I did this I'd end up with four pounds of chocolate, a tub of macaroni and cheese, and no clothing at all. I blame it on my inner hibernation mode (see food and eat it).

For those that have been to France/Italy/Spain/Greece in the summer, will I bake if I wear long sleeves and/or black capris, which are both on my packing list? Thanks for all the advice, ladies!
Coffee Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Wyzfen
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Hahah, if I did this I'd end up with four pounds of chocolate, a tub of macaroni and cheese, and no clothing at all.
Damn. You just described my packing list. I'm still deciding whether i should take any clothes - all my current clothes are 2-3 sizes too large.

Quote:
I blame it on my inner hibernation mode (see food and eat it).
Aha ! the see-food diet. my favourite. I've lost 20kg in the last year on that one.
Wyzfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
I heard in Paris you need to dress up
Not really. No one expects much from backpackers really.

Get rid of the denim, I agree with the sarong so no need skirt thing(unless its a cute skirt that you'll wear a bunch and doesnt take up much space), I'd probably bring just one nicer shirt/ a decent button down with long sleeves, and up the number of tanks. Slip the long sleeved button down on over your tank, and viola, you can go into churches and whatnot. I have a very adorable little black dress that never looks dirty or wrinkled and takes up no space, if you have a little dress like that bring it, otherwise dont bother. I guess Im more with jeanie when it comes to my own packing though, throwing in what I see. I tend to underpack and then pick up more things as I go. It works. And you can always say "Well, I bought this skirt at a cool little street market in paris..." when you get back. hehe.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I bought a pair of loose linen trousers at a street market in Greece for 1 Euro. Roll em up for the beach, down for anywhere nice, bingo. It will be hot in the summer, so the lighter the fabric the better - black linen is do-able, but a heavier fabric or clingy pair might be sweaty. Linen is horrible for wrinkles, of course, but if you can get a linen/cotton or linen/silk blend, and roll the pants, they should be okay. Same with long sleeves, a gauzy cotton is great, but I hate clingy clothes in hot weather. We're in northern Wisconsin currently, and I'm wilting in the 90 degree heat...if you're somewhere that hot and have comfy clothes, take those!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Qwardian
Members

you forgot a pillow and a nighty. All girl packers should have them.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:23 AM   #10
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

and an extra boy to carry it all... Hee hee.

Jenn
Old 07-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
Qwardian
Members

I gladley offer my services
Old 07-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #12
caffeinejunkie1
Members

I know some people prefer shorts to skirts, I personally prefer skirts, but I'd ditch the shorts altogether. Bring a light knee length non-wrinkleable skirt - like those knit ones you can get at target - or even better, buy one while you're travelling. Most Europeans don't wear shorts anyway, so they might make you stick out as a traveller.

And I agree, denim is probably a bad idea. For summer travel, I'd go with knits & cottons, things that dry quickly and aren't real heavy.

One other thing to note: Some places you visit, churches especially, won't allow you in with shorts - but then, throwing the sarong on over the top as a skirt works for that too.
caffeinejunkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote