VERY serious request for opinion - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Smile

As some of you may know, I am planning to hit the road in roughly 3 years never to return. I intended to pay off all debts first and travel/work my way around the world.

I am at a crossroads here. I keep getting dumped on at work with huge projects and my job gets worse by the hour. I actually could tolerate my job when I started, but this is true no more. My lease is up next month and I am considering taking the "fuck it" road and just leave. Buy a one way plane ticket and go from there. I will most likely have to default on my loans since I won't be able to make payments on them while abroad unless I make an insane amount of money somehow. I owe roughly $16,000 USD. That comes out to about 80 per month on my lowest payment option (20 years). I would also have to sell my car which I owe 8700 on (unless my dad would take it over which he has mentioned before). I will receive strong opposition from my family but they would just have to get over it.

I just wake up every morning for work pissed off. All I can think about is being on the road and seeing places that I have never seen before. I think that if I am going to stress this much I would rather it be because I am money poor and not life poor. Maybe I am wrong?

Please help me out here. I am in hell. Ideas? Opinions? Please??

foofiter

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

Hmm. I sympathize, man, but I'm not sure that defaulting on your loans and becoming a credit criminal is the way to go...

Why don't you start looking for another job? Is that a viable alternative?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
space virgin
Yoda

Oh, and also-- even though you never *plan* to return, who's to say what will happen 5, 10, 20 years down the road? Life has this funny little habit of getting in the way of "plans"... Just another thing to consider, especially regarding your financial situation in the US. *shrug*
Old 07-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Unhappy

Not really. The job market isn't good here and I feel trapped. Am I going off the deep end here?

"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
Old 07-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

Quote:
Originally posted by foofiter@Jul 6 2005, 01:56 PM
Not really. The job market isn't good here and I feel trapped. Am I going off the deep end here?

You might be freaking out a bit. I go through weeks at a time where I wake up dreading to go to work, but it passes after I accept I can't do anything about it right now.

I think it would be the honourable thing to pay off your loans. Like SV was saying, you never know if something will happen that will make you move back home. Then you've got a whole bunch of different problems to deal with.

If I was to drop everything I was doing right now and just start travelling, the money I owe would haunt me. I would honestly feel like I've ran away from something...

(although I have had days where I've wanted to drop everything here and book a one way ticket somewhere and never look back)
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

We all get that way dude. You just have to take a step back sometimes, take a breathe and just forget about it for a minute, hour, night , day whatever. If you let it consume you it only gets worse. Knowing you did it the right way will let you relax even on the road. Like SV said, then if for some reason you wanted to come back you know you could cause your slate is clean.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Question

Sorry about that little flip out session guys. I realized after I ate dinner and about 17 beers (ok just one) that it was a little extreme and I would not make it far with the money that I currently have. A lot of shit hit the fan at once and every man has his breaking point. I got pretty close today. Thanks for the comments though I really appreciate it!!

Cheers!

foofiter

Old 07-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
Tancred
Members

Send a message via ICQ to Tancred Send a message via AIM to Tancred Send a message via MSN to Tancred Send a message via Yahoo to Tancred

Quote:
Originally posted by foofiter@Jul 6 2005, 12:47 PM
As some of you may know, I am planning to hit the road in roughly 3 years never to return. I intended to pay off all debts first and travel/work my way around the world.

I am at a crossroads here. I keep getting dumped on at work with huge projects and my job gets worse by the hour. I actually could tolerate my job when I started, but this is true no more. My lease is up next month and I am considering taking the "fuck it" road and just leave. Buy a one way plane ticket and go from there. I will most likely have to default on my loans since I won't be able to make payments on them while abroad unless I make an insane amount of money somehow. I owe roughly $16,000 USD. That comes out to about 80 per month on my lowest payment option (20 years). I would also have to sell my car which I owe 8700 on (unless my dad would take it over which he has mentioned before). I will receive strong opposition from my family but they would just have to get over it.

I just wake up every morning for work pissed off. All I can think about is being on the road and seeing places that I have never seen before. I think that if I am going to stress this much I would rather it be because I am money poor and not life poor. Maybe I am wrong?

Please help me out here. I am in hell. Ideas? Opinions? Please??

foofiter

I am doing what you say you want to do. I got tired of the job shit. I did a experimental run to see how I liked life abroad. And monday I leave for good. I have 15,000 saved, and less then you in debt only 5-6k, I am letting my student loans default, I really dont care, it was incredibly easy working and living abroad, I did it for 18 months. I say GO GO GO. I am, I have no regrets about it. I know how it gets man, once that travel bug gets you, its a bitch to go to work anymore. I eventually put in my 2 weeks notice, my boss thought I was joking. 2 weeks later when I left we was in awe he had really thought I was joking.

Im only 19, and Ive had a absolute blast abroad so far. Once again.. GO GO GO GO.

RUN LIKE HELL AND STICK IT TO THE MAN!

Tancred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
Tancred
Members

Send a message via ICQ to Tancred Send a message via AIM to Tancred Send a message via MSN to Tancred Send a message via Yahoo to Tancred

Just to let you know, I did 18 months on 1800 dollars start up money....Remember...YOU DO SPEAK ENGLISH. Its literally..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and in Korea, a free apartment and 2-5k a month. 20 hours a week...Think it over. Email me if you have any burning questions..

djavorsky@gmail.com
Tancred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Ok listen to me. I am the number one advocate of saying fuck it and running off. In fact, I did it and left debts. Let me tell you DONT DO IT AT ALL. It only makes things worse. Trust me. Sell your soul to satan if you have to to pay things off before you leave, but do not leave without paying them. It will dog your every step. Even if you just have to pay eighty dollars a month for twenty years, you never know when you might or might not have eighty dollars. just pay it off. really.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I have a few things to say on this topic and people may not necessarily agree with me.

First of all, if you really hate your job (what is it that you do exactly??) no matter how horrible the job market is, you can probably find something else, at least for a little while. Even bartending/waiting tables is a good way to pay the bills and kind of a fun job if you are working in a good place and for good people.

Second, students sometimes get a bad rep for saying "oh just fuck the loans, I won't bother with them" and usually it is only a small percentage of people who actually do this. But all students/past students in general suffer for this. So if you borrow money for school or whatever reason, pay the loan back. So many people back home declare bankruptcy because of a student loan and it is so not a good way to start your financial status. It is actually really irresponsible if you ask me. People who borrow money and just try to walk away from it only dig themselves in deeper trouble and it will haunt you for the rest of your life. Bad credit really sucks when it comes time to try to buy a house. Do you really want to be paying off a relatively small debt for the next twenty years? I managed to pay off my $17 000 cdn student loan in a little over a year working as a nanny. (not exactly rocket science) I did not want to have that debt flying over my head for even five years let alone twenty.

I am the queen of running away...not really sure what I am running from but I have somehow managed to have over 30 addresses in my 25 years of living. Your problems follow you. Travel is great but coming home should be great too. Try to figure out what it will take to make you happy in the job department and hopefully everything else will fall into place. Good luck to you.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:26 PM   #12
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

As much as I'm all for traveling I agree with the majority> Pay off your debts. There is nothing worse then owing money. Even if you take off and have a fab time somewhere it's still going to be in the back of your mind that you owe $$$.

Mabye you should move back home (if your not already) or get a second job. Just spend the next year focused on paying off as much as possible. FYI I came back from oz in march, started work in april and three months later I am debt free. Paid $5000 off in three months. I had an ultra tight budget. So it can be done man!

Tancred!! Pls tell me about this great job you have. Teaching english are we? Tell me the goods, I've often thought doing it.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #13
Tack
Members

Send a message via MSN to Tack

Your going to make it man! dont give up now. Your close to living your dreams you cant let work get in the way of them.

Tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #14
alkyowl
Members

hey, know how it feels but think best to stick with and get debts out of way if you have the option., esp if thats you off with no def plans.

Worked at home for a year, saving for my trip and i had plenty of dont want to be here, doing this, could take of right now moments but i think stick it out! in the long run youl be happier and more content in your travels, fewer worries with the money(altough its always a worry!)

especially when your planning smomething it makes saving an crappy job bearable so stick with me thinks but if your guts with going now, do it. it will work out.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #15
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
I am the queen of running away...not really sure what I am running from but I have somehow managed to have over 30 addresses in my 25 years of living. Your problems follow you.
THEY DO! LISTEN TO HER! I thought she was quoting me til I got to the 25 years part. heh.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #16
TERI
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

This thread is making me hyper. this is one of those "don't do it" and "save yourself" threads.

Well my trip was canned for the year. But now im planning an even bigger and better trip for next May. I got so fustrated at work that i've taken the summer off. To clear my head, regroup, yadda yadda.

I agree with paying the bills though. You don't want to willingly burn a bridge. Every travaler comes home sooner or later. And your first day back should be wonderful. Not hiding behind bushes, and crawling through windows
the only thing keeping me here now is knowing that i want a home to come home to someday.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #17
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Exclamation

Well I am not hopping on a plane tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys!

I am not concerned with having my own place. All I need is a backpack and a tent. I can work it from there. I always have family and friends too. I am going to stay the course...for now

I am still interested in hearing what others think as well!

foofiter

Old 07-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #18
LaurieL622
TPunk Recognized

pay ur debts, make some money. work isn't usually fun...that's why it's work. all it takes is a few bad moments for you to hate your day at work, but it will get better. and if it doesn't...think about where you'll be in a few years. i'm a college grad with lots of loans under my belt, and saving is the most important thing right now. everyone has to put in their "time" before having fun. the harder you work at it, the more rewarding your travel time will be. hang in there champ.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #19
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I'll echo what everyone else has said: PAY OFF YOUR DEBTS.

It's no fun, and sometimes the exhorbitant interest rates seem like bullshit, but I feel strongly that people should simply honor their debts. Not because of any financial reason or contracts, but from it being a matter of honor and integrity

That said, I HATE my student loan company and the whacked out interest rate I got stuck with when I refinanced during the "boom" but hey, we've all made our committments in our lives, and I think everything you accomplish after getting past the shitty parts is that much sweeter.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #20
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@Jul 7 2005, 05:54 AM
Quote:
I am the queen of running away...not really sure what I am running from but I have somehow managed to have over 30 addresses in my 25 years of living. Your problems follow you.
THEY DO! LISTEN TO HER! I thought she was quoting me til I got to the 25 years part. heh.
Wow Bellelass I love you. Someone who actually agrees with what I say!!

I really didn't want what I wrote up there to sound harsh...I just feel like people really need to take responsibility for what they get themselves into and this includes borrowing money. Working to pay it back sometimes can suck but the feeling of getting it paid off is fabulous.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote