I need a little help.... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-05-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
bookofkels
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

Hi all, well i don't know if you's remember but i'd been planning a trip to Oz for last may but due to other things it didn't happen. So anyway i got my WTF in April so i have till next April to use it, well i started a new job a while back which has helped me settle back into the community ( i had been gone for 6 years), so i'm scared of leaveing for a year again as it took me so long to fit back in again, also my one and only sister is Pregnant and due in January and i missed the birth of my last niece cos i was living in America at the time so here are my 2 choices,

1) go to Oz for 3 months and travel around the whole time not having to work as the £2000, that i need to enter the country will be enought to live on and i'll be home in time for zmas

2) Just say fuck it and go to Oz for the year, take my time working and travelling around...i was origonaly going to start in darwin and go clockwise around

So all your ideas and thoughs on this will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Kel
Old 07-06-2005, 12:42 AM   #2
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Number 2. Defs. Take me with you!
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #3
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

If you can seriously swing it, I'd go with Number 2. I like Number 2. A lot.

Er.. that sounds funny.

What I mean is - I don't know how it is for everyone else, but being able to live abroad and travel for a year would be a super-rare opportunity for me, and if I were given a choice to do it, I'd jump all over it, despite any negatives that may come with it.

To put it in perspective from my American cubicle-farm side: I'll be headed there for a month in November, which to most of my friends and co-workers is a jaw-droppingly ridiculous undertaking. So as far as I'm concerned, it'd be #2 all the way!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

Yeah, #2 sounds good with me. There will never be a great time to go, when everyone else's lives have settled down enough so you won't missout. But just remember not to miss out on your own life when you get those rare chances!! Damn, I seriously need to hit up Australia one day. lol!

Jenn
Old 07-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

I'm going to join others and say number 2. I mean, yeah it would be nice to be there for your sisters day with the baby, but at the same time like others said never will there be a perfect time. So do what your heart tells you, your sister will understand in the long run.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
bookofkels
TPunk Recognized

thanks guys, see no.2 is the ideal one but see i just moved back here 8 months ago after living in america for nearly 6 years, so i have lived abroad before, but i need to put roots down and i'm startin to do that so if i up and leave for a year its gonna be hard as hell to get into the community again, so i'm siding with no.1....i'm 27 and as much as i love to travel i would like to fit into a community and if i head away for another year then its gonna be harder to do it again, i can see where you's are coming from with your go for the year thing but you's have a home base waiting for you's when you get back, see i'm just building that up and 3 months is fine but to leave for a year after being away for so long before will be harder, an as much as i want to travel i have to think long term
Old 07-08-2005, 06:56 AM   #7
Frank from Boston
Members

Don't worry about it too much because you can't really go wrong with either one. Either way you are still going to have an awesome time.
Frank from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
space virgin
Yoda

^He's right, and regardless of how "cool" we all think it would be to take off for a year-- the bottom line is that you should do what you want!! There's absolutely nothing wrong with NOT leaving for a year.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

if i had just gone for 6 years abroad, id want to grow roots too... If thats truely what you feel you should (and WANT to do) then go on right ahead. Good luck with whatever dicision you make.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #10
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I think #2 sounds like a good option. I may be biased though b/c I've wanted to head down there for a year long trip for a while now...
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Lightbulb

I personally would do #2. #1 would also be cool but given the choice...

Do what you think will make you happier in the long run. You might decide to go with option 1 and end up staying for a year...or longer, who knows! I know I sound like a broken record but I am planning to hit the road and see where it leads me with no particular aim. I figure that wherever I have to stop is where I am meant to be. I will have no true home except for my dads house which is where I will store my stuff. And I DO NOT want to live with my dad again.

Bottom Line: Go and see what happens. Try to work it out with an open ticket so you can leave when you are ready. Maybe you will want more than 3 months but maybe not the entire 1 year. Possibilities are endless...

foofiter

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:46 PM   #12
MissChick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to MissChick Send a message via MSN to MissChick

Quote:
Originally posted by bookofkels@Jul 7 2005, 07:43 PM
thanks guys, see no.2 is the ideal one but see i just moved back here 8 months ago after living in america for nearly 6 years, so i have lived abroad before, but i need to put roots down and i'm startin to do that so if i up and leave for a year its gonna be hard as hell to get into the community again, so i'm siding with no.1....i'm 27 and as much as i love to travel i would like to fit into a community and if i head away for another year then its gonna be harder to do it again, i can see where you's are coming from with your go for the year thing but you's have a home base waiting for you's when you get back, see i'm just building that up and 3 months is fine but to leave for a year after being away for so long before will be harder, an as much as i want to travel i have to think long term
By the sounds of this you've already made up your mind but have yet to make the actually decision!

MissChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

it sounds like ur doing what i tend to do. im already biased towards one decision, but i ask people for their opinion. if they give me an answer i don't like (or that i find myself arguing against) i know to choose the other option. if they give me an answer that im happy about...well... the choice is obvious.

from the looks of it, looksl ike you're going for option #1.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #14
bookofkels
TPunk Recognized

Ah but what i didn't tell you's is i have a back up plan.....if i do #1 well in my 3 months there i don't plan to work but i will do a couple of days fruit picking or farmwork of some type because, for those of you that don't know you will only get one working holiday visa for oz in your life so if you go for a year on a whv you are no way no how getting another one unless...............and heres the one and only exception if you worked on a farm i.e picking fruit or farmwork in general and you paid taxes while doing so, so there is a record with the goverment, well now you want another whv, let me see, oh you did agricultural work when you where here before well then, heres another whv, i shit you not that is the only way you can get another whv. So i'm gonna do that leave my options open,
Also if i go in september then i have a year from then so if i come home in december and get pissed off in jan/feb then i head back till sept, or i could love it when i am there and i'm like fuck that i ain't going back i'm staying for the year.

Whatever happens i still have one big decider, i am appling for a loan to go.....yea i know not the best way to go on a trip but its the only way i will be able to do it (there are reasons).......so the final decision lies there, if i get the loan then yippee i'm booking a flight if i don't well then i ain't going..........so next week i want everyone to keep their fingers, toes and eyes crossed for me
will update you all when i know what the fuck is goin on!
Kel